Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So i currently own a 2018 base model Tacoma with the 4 cylinder engine and i am torn between trading it in for a 2 door Bronco or just wait and get the 2024 Tacoma thats coming out, which apparently will be using a turbo engine as well. I truly would love to get a Bronco but i have never had a turbo based engine before and i would like to know if any of these Bronco engines are worth it?
Youā€™re on a Bronco Forum. The answer is obviousā€¦
Ford Bronco Bronco or Tacoma?!?! 1680571998350
Sponsored

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ā€˜94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If your over 6ā€™ tall, bronco for sure. Current gen Tacoma is really cramped and has a dumb driving position for people with a longer torso. I had to pass after renting a ā€™21 TRD off-road. tried another with moonroof and that was instant no-go. Bronco has acres more room in the drivers seat.

WhatTheActual

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Tacoma, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My husband has a 2021 Tacoma TRD Pro with the TRD lift. I'm driving the 2022 Bronco Black Diamond Sasquatch 2-door. We love both these vehicles for different reasons. We need the utility of a truck, and the Tacoma is an extremely nice truck! I drove a 2-door Wrangler Sport for 9 years, and I loved it! However, I love the Bronco so much more than the Jeep! Our Bronco has the V6 and the automatic transmission. This Bronc is a rocket compared to my Wrangler and compared to hubby's Tacoma, and it has so much torque. It's an absolute blast to drive! If you don't need a truck, you will LOVE the Bronco!!

WhatTheActual

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Tacoma, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My husband has a 2021 Tacoma TRD Pro with the TRD lift. I'm driving the 2022 Bronco Black Diamond Sasquatch 2-door. We love both these vehicles for different reasons. We need the utility of a truck, and the Tacoma is an extremely nice truck! I drove a 2-door Wrangler Sport for 9 years, and I loved it! However, I love the Bronco so much more than the Jeep! Our Bronco has the V6 and the automatic transmission. This Bronc is a rocket compared to my Wrangler and compared to hubby's Tacoma, and it has so much torque. It's an absolute blast to drive! If you don't need a truck, you will LOVE the Bronco!!
I should add that the Tacoma is kind of hard to get in and out of, but you own one now so you're probably used to that. We put the Iag Performance V2 step onto the Bronco's rock rails, and now it's really easy to get in and out of. The Bronco has a lot of head room, and the seats are the absolute best seats ever -- extremely comfortable and supportive.

cbrownabq

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge 2500 diesel
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well, Iā€™m about to sell my pretty sweet manual taco for my Bronco that finally got built. Itā€™s encouraging to hear how much people don't regret the change. Iā€™m mostly worried about the rock silid reliability of the Taco. There aren't nearly the amount of epic failures on the Taco forums. That being said, Iā€™ve had the Bronco bug ever since they announced its production. So, all logic aside, Iā€™m getting mine.

Sponsored

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Be sure to choose the trim level wisely and listen to the noise level. If you go with the SAS package you are going to get some serious rock throwers for tires that I found to be noisy. If you want a hard top be prepared to wait or pay a premium. You can shop around and maybe get lucky with a dealer on an order the buyer passed on. There are a lot of differences in the various trim levels. If doing a 2 door be sure you are good with accessing the back seat and amount of total cargo room. Ive had a 4 door Badlands SAS and have a 4 Door Black Diamond going into production in a couple weeks. Both with hardtop and 2.7. I currently have a 23 Tundra that is completely solid. No road noise at all. When I used the bluetooth in the Badlands it was so loud clients could barely hear me at highway speeds. I drove an outter banks non SAS and it was much quieter. The Tundra is quieter, quicker, and a smoother ride than the Bronco. So I am sure the 24 Tacoma is going to be nice. However, the Tundra and Tacoma are Toyota boring. It's the old would you rather own a Harley or Honda debate.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is ridiculous post theyā€™re completely different I have both. (V6 double cab 6ft bed) Bronco all day every day except when I need to haul. My taco has no power, no tech, and just as bad fuel economy with just a 1ā€ lift and 31s. I get reliability and resell value, but thatā€™s the only reason to buy a taco. I donā€™t understand people who upfit tacos. Youā€™ll ruin the reliability and itā€™s just not a good platform for wheeling. Sure fords donā€™t have the impeccable reliability rating, this is my first ford ever and no issues after 11k miles, but with the taco I feel Iā€™m giving up enjoyment in driving. But Iā€™m a fully loaded, biggest engine kind of guy

Last edited:

WilVis

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have two Broncos. The Bronco is awesome and a much updated drive train compared to the current Tacoma. Really a lot of fun.

With that said, my Basesquatch needed a new transmission at 157 miles and still isnā€™t right. Super frustrating. I now have a deposit on a 2024 TRD Off Road Tacoma. I just donā€™t have a lot of faith in my odds owning two Broncos. A truck is also a better platform for my rooftop tent and an overland build.

Last edited:

Canadian5.0

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
2024 tacoma is rumoured to be revealed 04-04 -23 , geez I donā€™t know , maybe wait 8 hrs and do a little more researching then when more info is available, oh boy

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Tacos and 4runners have the world's most okayest engines bolted to the world's most not okayest auto transmissions. They're boring, they don't sound good, they don't have any power until the needle starts playing chicken with the redline, I've blown several of them already, but they are technically okay engines and do okay things as long as you overlook the psychotic transmission. My taco is getting a supercharged L86 swap and my V8 4runner is getting sold, I don't need that depressing stuff in my life. I'm really not even impressed with the bigger fullsize engines, they're a weird mix of noise and underwhelming power. I'll even provide an unpopular opinion...toyotas aren't actually any more reliable than any other manufacturer, they've just been stuck on the same unchanged designs for so long that people know how to work on them, what kind of preventative maintenance they need, and as a result, parts/mechanics/DIY stuff is easier to find for them. That's why aircraft engines have a reputation of reliability...not because the design is superior, but because they haven't really changed much of anything in 75 years.

The Bronco's 2.7L, even accounting for the torque management in the first few gears, feels like a sports car by comparison. It's almost enough to convince a serial power adder to leave it as-is. Some people even think the 2.3L is enough power. I don't believe them, but they're nice people all the same. The ride, handling, and comfort will likewise be a night and day difference, as will the tech and features and overall new vehicle feel. New toyotas feel more like new old stock from 15 years ago, I guess their target demographic is the same crowd that won't let Windows XP and halogen headlights die, I dunno.

Sponsored

SlapnutsGT

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I traded in a 2022 TRD Off-Road for the Bronco and its night/day. I was skeptical at first and dreading that I'd regret it but I dont miss that truck at ALL. When I look back on it I'm disappointed in the taco when I think about it's off-road capabilities compared to the Bronco.

For context on my daily use I only use the Bronco for beach surf fishing so I'm on sand a lot, the bronco it's just easy the taco required a little effort and awareness to get around and some places would get a little hairy and I spun out a couple times leaving off the ramps.

Thiskers

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I came from a F150 to a bronco. Wished I had a bigger driveway or 3 car garage because I would've kept my truck. Sometimes I miss it, buying a ton of mulch or wood or taking a big load of stuff to the dump. But I can always rent a truck from home depot for the day for that.

With that said, my bronco is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned and wouldn't consider getting rid of it for anything else.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Def get the Taco ... rear drum brakes are the bomb!

:)

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh yeah for sure the Bronco is better but i am more worried about a turbo engine because their alot of mixed reviews about turbo engines. I know the maintenance will be different
Mixed reviews on turbo engines? This isn't the 1980's. Turbo motors have come a long way and don't require any additional maintenance. Both motor options have been around for a while and are proven.

90% of my vehicles over the past 2 decades have had turbos. The one that didn't gave me the most problems because some engineer at Ford thought it would be a good idea to make the water pump internal and drive it off the timing chain.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mixed reviews on turbo engines? This isn't the 1980's. Turbo motors have come a long way and don't require any additional maintenance. Both motor options have been around for a while and are proven.

90% of my vehicles over the past 2 decades have had turbos. The one that didn't gave me the most problems because some engineer at Ford thought it would be a good idea to make the water pump internal and drive it off the timing chain.
Ooooof the lovely under/over? engineered 3.5L
Sponsored