Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"Accidentally" including the Bronco Raptor R in their list of vehicles was totally intentional. The event is happening on the 17th, a Wednesday (the 4th day of the week), and it's been 7 years since the 6th gen Bronco was announced...

17 x 4 x 7 = 476 horsepower

The Bronco Raptor R will debut as a 2025 model, 'R' converted to hexadecimal is 52...

2025 x 52 = $105,300 MSRP

The answers are right in front of us!

Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor R news coming 1/17... see upcoming Ford Performance video description 1024-3089109483
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Tim in Castle Rock

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco (on order), Shelby GT350, Mach E, Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My bet is that F will indeed launch a Bronco R version. It's just the same pattern as the F150 Raptor - and the F PD team. 3.5 HO would be logical. Note sure you could reasonably stuff a V8 (5.2 Shelby & F150 R motor) into the Braptor. I am sure that if If you want to spend $115k + on a Bronco R, F will work on that.

OP
OP
Razorback

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since 2020, Ford has realized we keep them straight!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Razorback

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The DR started life as a Raptor... "Life, uh, finds a way"... Ian Malcolm

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My bet is that F will indeed launch a Bronco R version. It's just the same pattern as the F150 Raptor - and the F PD team. 3.5 HO would be logical. Note sure you could reasonably stuff a V8 (5.2 Shelby & F150 R motor) into the Braptor. I am sure that if If you want to spend $115k + on a Bronco R, F will work on that.
Probably right about F and BRR. Maybe a F BWTR? Probably don't need a BBLR or BBBR, but BOBR could be interesting (too much BRR for F?). BBDR seems redundant. Wonder about a F BSWTR? 🤔

😅

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Would be cool with either the 3.5 Powerboost or 3.5 High Output, but why not shoot for the moon and put the Ford GT Ecoboost in there?

Just kidding, in reality, the 3.5 Powerboost would make the most sense, especially if they let it put out 7.9kw to a 240v 30 amp trailer plug for overlanding. For the life of me, I don't know why they didn't already do it with the 2.7 and 2.3, because that would be a real game changer for overlanding.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Would be cool with either the 3.5 Powerboost or 3.5 High Output, but why not shoot for the moon and put the Ford GT Ecoboost in there?

Just kidding, in reality, the 3.5 Powerboost would make the most sense, especially if they let it put out 7.9kw to a 240v 30 amp trailer plug for overlanding. For the life of me, I don't know why they didn't already do it with the 2.7 and 2.3, because that would be a real game changer for overlanding.
Just wait. They already said there would be electrified Broncos coming at some point, but I think with all they issues they have had producing the normal Broncos, they punted those variants until after the MY2025 refresh.

Sponsored

ChaseG

Outer Banks
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2018 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This thread was a rollercoaster, see y'all tomorrow...

Darcyjs14

Raptor
First Name
D’Arcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Ford F250 Camper Special 4spd
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm sure most of you know but for those that do not..........

F150 Raptor R has a V-8. Standard F150 Raptors do not.

So does Bronco Raptor R going to have a V-8 ?????? Doubt it, I thought that is what the DR was for. Why build a DR if you are just going to release a Bronco Raptor R with a V-8. :unsure:

Very perplexing........
Here’s an argument for why they did DR and now might do a Bronco Raptor R: Ford creates the DR as a proof-of-concept or “viability study” and the engineers make the pitch that to defray the costs of the DR PoC that it will include a limited run of off-road only customer cars.

The Ford GT has shown Ford how to use a company like Multimatic to do low-volume but profitable out-sourced specials, so as a program executive you would pitch the Braptor DR as a cost-defrayed way to see if a Braptor R can be built. And if a Braptor R is actually announced, and it does has a v8, then I bet they were also influenced by the over-the-top demand for the Raptor R too. If I am remembering correctly, when the Broncos first came out there was an interview with one of the lead program engineers saying it was never designed to fit or carry a v8, and he made a lot of rational arguments why the 6 was the right tradeoff for weight and more low RPM torque. But then the success of the general Bronco program probably allowed Ford executives to peel off some program engineers to see if you could stuff a v8 into the Bronco chassis. That begat the DR. So they next step would be could a V8 Bronco meet all of Ford’s reliability thresholds for cars they have to warranty for 3/36 and that they know will still be hooned off road?

While few of us have ever seen a DR in the wild, maybe Ford has been using a few as “hiding-in-plain sight” test platforms to evaluate whether they *could* make a v8 road-legal Braptor. Another big, thirsty v8 won’t help their CAFE numbers but, like the Raptor R, the production numbers will likely be low-enough that they can be offset with sales of Escapes, Bronco Sports, Mavricks, Lightnings and Mach-Es. The margin they make on the Braptor, Raptor and Raptor R is probably attractive enough to make it worth making the assessment of a Braptor R. Even with the inevitable ADM that the dealers will tack on, we all know they will sell every one they make, and reportedly each one delivers $30k+ in profit to FoMoCo. That kind of profitability could fund Bronco R program costs, since probably most of those costs, barring crash worthiness which might be model-specific, has been amortized by the existing Braptor Raptor and Bronco DR programs.

My hunch is that the model-specific development costs for F150 Raptor & Raptor R are mostly engine and suspension, with the vanilla (and also wildly profitable) F150 program providing everything else (because Raptor is able reuse a ton from the F150 program). So the main product line covers the cost of the necessary but boring stuff, leaving the Raptor programs with lots of R&D money to make special models. It’s the modern incarnation of a parts-bin special!

updated: we'll know in a few hours, as it appears reference to a Bronco Raptor R has been removed from the original announcement

Last edited: