Sponsored

BuiltRight Industries - Cargo Area MOLLE System - Seeking feedback!

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's dope.
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would absolutely LOVE these. I'll second. the idea of adding an easily removed top and back panel,

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'd also be interested in some MOLLE panels for the backs of the front seats for those of us without the factory ones. I haven't seen whether or not we can install the factory ones after the fact.

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Alright, the time has finally come to share a bit of this project with you guys. If you aren't familiar with @BuiltRight Industries, have a look at the two threads that I'll link to below for an idea of what we do and check out this page for who we are. We invented (and patented) the MOLLE panel system for the bed of a pickup truck and we've been excited to bring the experience and feedback of tens of thousands of customers to the Bronco platform. I've got a 2dr Big Bend myself, which has been our R&D vehicle for the past month or so. Loving it so far!

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/builtright-industries-innovative-gear-mounting-systems.15443/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...oduct-development-small-business-style.16269/

Project: Cargo Area MOLLE System for 2dr and 4dr Bronco

Purpose: The goal with this system is to offer a modular way to mount tools, gear, accessories and so on in the cargo area of your Bronco. We want the panels to be easy to install and unobtrusive when it comes to using the cargo area for other purposes. The panels must be strong enough to support the weight of heavier items, like an ARB compressor or recovery gear. The goal is to make use of otherwise unusable space in order to keep your cargo area clear for other gear.

Background: I had typed out a long story here but decided to just keep it simple. Ford reached out in 2019 asking us to design MOLLE panels for the Bronco. Excited by the opportunity (but taking care to protect our best ideas), we met virtually and in person a number of times, reviewing Ford objectives, Bronco models and so on. We developed some concepts, shared rough details and manufacturing costs before it was made clear to us that we'd need to sacrifice our quality and manufacturing standards in order to meet price targets. I expressed concern and that was basically the end of that. Fast forward and the dealer catalog shows some MOLLE panel products that are nearly identical to my sketches. Luckily, we didn't share actual CAD models and I'm a terrible artist :LOL:. That being said, by now you've all seen the quality (or lack of) being demonstrated there, so we're even more excited to share what we've been working on.

We're damn close, but would love some feedback or to hear your ideas before we proceed to production and get these ready for you. We've been tight lipped until now, knowing that copycats won't be far behind, but I can't stand to bring a product like this to market without feedback from my fellow enthusiasts that might improve the product and its usefulness!

Process: With every project, we begin by collecting 3D data from the vehicle. In this case, I had the opportunity to fly out to the SEMA Garage in California with my scanner and 3D scan a 3dr and 4dr badlands for about 6hrs. This gave us what we needed to begin designing so that when our R&D vehicles arrived, we'd be able to hit the ground running. From there, we produce prototypes, test, break, revise, produce again, test again and so on. Being a very small business, we have the freedom to experiment and refine the product without 'bean counters' breathing down our necks to cut costs or speed up development. The result of both of those things can be seen in a lot of the 'first to market' products that have been shipping, in our opinion.

Ford Bronco BuiltRight Industries - Cargo Area MOLLE System - Seeking feedback! im in

Features (we can add to this based on the discussion):
  • No-drill installation, easily completed with basic hand tools
  • Compatible with top-on and topless driving
  • Does not impact factory tie downs of their ability to lay flat
  • Does not negatively impact storage capacity of cargo area
  • Solid steel construction with factory fit and finish
  • Provisions for attaching a cargo basket that doubles as security lid

We'd like your help! We've already been through a few iterations here and I'm very happy with the mounting and installation procedure (no drilling being a primary requirement). I'm just going to share a few photos of my 2dr below to get the juice flowing and kick off the conversation. Would love to hear from you guys regarding thoughts, concerns, feedback, ideas, how you'd use panels like this and so on. Keep in mind that these panels are really a 'blank canvas' and will be used as a platform for a host of other mounts and accessories that we've been working on (cargo trays, etc).

I'll respond to every single comment in this thread and will be keeping a list of people that indicate that they're interested (something like "I'm in!" works) so that we can circle back when pre-orders are live.

Matt Beenen
Engineering

Ford Bronco BuiltRight Industries - Cargo Area MOLLE System - Seeking feedback! im in

Already ordered your front license plate bracket. I'm in as a beta tester if you need one. OBX 4-door arriving this week! Would love to see how it fits/works before buying!

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright, the time has finally come to share a bit of this project with you guys. If you aren't familiar with @BuiltRight Industries, have a look at the two threads that I'll link to below for an idea of what we do and check out this page for who we are. We invented (and patented) the MOLLE panel system for the bed of a pickup truck and we've been excited to bring the experience and feedback of tens of thousands of customers to the Bronco platform. I've got a 2dr Big Bend myself, which has been our R&D vehicle for the past month or so. Loving it so far!

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/builtright-industries-innovative-gear-mounting-systems.15443/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...oduct-development-small-business-style.16269/

Purpose: The goal with this system is to offer a modular way to mount tools, gear, accessories and so on in the cargo area of your Bronco. We want the panels to be easy to install and unobtrusive when it comes to using the cargo area for other purposes. The panels must be strong enough to support the weight of heavier items, like an ARB compressor or recovery gear. The goal is to make use of otherwise unusable space in order to keep your cargo area clear for other gear.

Background: I had typed out a long story here but decided to just keep it simple. Ford reached out in 2019 asking us to design MOLLE panels for the Bronco. Excited by the opportunity (but taking care to protect our best ideas), we met virtually and in person a number of times, reviewing Ford objectives, Bronco models and so on. We developed some concepts, shared rough details and manufacturing costs before it was made clear to us that we'd need to sacrifice our quality and manufacturing standards in order to meet price targets. I expressed concern and that was basically the end of that. Fast forward and the dealer catalog shows some MOLLE panel products that are nearly identical to my sketches. Luckily, we didn't share actual CAD models and I'm a terrible artist :LOL:. That being said, by now you've all seen the quality (or lack of) being demonstrated there, so we're even more excited to share what we've been working on.

We're damn close, but would love some feedback or to hear your ideas before we proceed to production and get these ready for you. We've been tight lipped until now, knowing that copycats won't be far behind, but I can't stand to bring a product like this to market without feedback from my fellow enthusiasts that might improve the product and its usefulness!

Process: With every project, we begin by collecting 3D data from the vehicle. In this case, I had the opportunity to fly out to the SEMA Garage in California with my scanner and 3D scan a 3dr and 4dr badlands for about 6hrs. This gave us what we needed to begin designing so that when our R&D vehicles arrived, we'd be able to hit the ground running. From there, we produce prototypes, test, break, revise, produce again, test again and so on. Being a very small business, we have the freedom to experiment and refine the product without 'bean counters' breathing down our necks to cut costs or speed up development. The result of both of those things can be seen in a lot of the 'first to market' products that have been shipping, in our opinion.

We'd like your help! We've already been through a few iterations here and I'm very happy with the mounting and installation procedure (no drilling being a primary requirement). I'm just going to share a few photos of my 2dr below to get the juice flowing and kick off the conversation. Would love to hear from you guys regarding thoughts, concerns, feedback, ideas, how you'd use panels like this and so on. Keep in mind that these panels are really a 'blank canvas' and will be used as a platform for a host of other mounts and accessories that we've been working on (cargo trays, etc).

I'll respond to every single comment in this thread and will be keeping a list of people that indicate that they're interested (something like "I'm in!" works) so that we can circle back when pre-orders are live.

Matt Beenen
Engineering

All in

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Matt Beenen
Engineering

Would also love to see a panel attachment that extends from the side of the window to the roofline of the cargo area. It would be great for attaching flatter items or recovery items

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been toying with the idea of getting the Tuffy cargo enclosure but have been waiting to see what y'all came up with.

I'm definitely interested, but would like to hear/see more on a lid or basket. I'd want it to serve as a security enclosure at least part of the time, but easily removable for larger items. And obviously it has to work with the soft top folding up/down.

Awesome work! But I knew it would be.

Arjineal

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Saturn Astra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Count me in! I love how this turned out. It looks great and very functional. I also would be interested in a removable top and back piece.

cazimi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nice to see a prototype on a 2 door (for a change!). I'm definitely in, and also throwing in my vote for some kind of top/security panel to go across when the seats are up.

I'd also be curious to see what you'd have for a "floor leveler/storage drawer" space. I'm not handy enough to be a full-on rear seat delete person, but I already know I'll have the seats down 99% of the time. I'd already been planning some kind of elevated floor/shelf hack to level out that back space, but if you have a better (read: stronger, more stable, better looking) idea, I'm in for that, too.

(Just waiting for my license plate bracket...and my Bronco...to arrive)

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2017 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in for sure!