Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Edit/Update:

It is indeed the cam phasers rattling on startup.

It's a 'cosmetic' issue (safe to still drive with the noise on startup) that effects several different Ecoboost engines.

Dealership is ordering parts to repair.

______

I believe this sound has been there the entire time and recently gotten louder/more noticeable over the general engine start noise. Always lasts about 1 second during a cold start (~1 hour between starts) and then the vehicle drives excellent. No other issues. Vehicle did some Baja stuff yesterday with no issues.

If you kill the engine and restart, its not there.

My only guess is cam phasor rattle? Is it just the fuel injection system? Sounds.. not great.

This is the 2.7.

Any guesses before I give my local Ford dealership a chance to screw something else up?

The plot thickens - I checked oil levels as I hadn't done so in about 2,500 miles and noticed it was low a quart. Tossed in a quart of 5w30 synthetic and now I can't get the sound... I'll try again in the morning and see if its temperature dependent.

No leaks, so Im now curious on being a tad low on oil.
Sponsored

Last edited:

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Doesn't sound like the cam phasor rattle that the 3.5 has in my F-150...pop the hood and see if the sound is higher, lower, front, back? Almost sounds like a heat shield rattle, but strange that it just goes away.

A trick to eliminating the cam phasors being possible is 'dry start' the engine for a few seconds by holding down the gas pedal to the floor, and release the gas pedal so it starts. See if it makes the same noise. This method will 'prime' the engine with oil, which is why the cam phasors in the 3.5 rattle and need to be replaced, lack of oil during start-up.

OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doesn't sound like the cam phasor rattle that the 3.5 has in my F-150...pop the hood and see if the sound is higher, lower, front, back? Almost sounds like a heat shield rattle, but strange that it just goes away.

A trick to eliminating the cam phasors being possible is 'dry start' the engine for a few seconds by holding down the gas pedal to the floor, and release the gas pedal so it starts. See if it makes the same noise. This method will 'prime' the engine with oil, which is why the cam phasors in the 3.5 rattle and need to be replaced, lack of oil during start-up.
I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Yeah it sounds a lot like if you stuck something in a metal fan for a second or two but the general area is non descript so far.

I'm going to be taking it in to the stealership for an oil change here shortly and I can have them look then, but I'd like to have a general idea of the problem beforehand.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Yeah it sounds a lot like if you stuck something in a metal fan for a second or two but the general area is non descript so far.

I'm going to be taking it in to the stealership for an oil change here shortly and I can have them look then, but I'd like to have a general idea of the problem beforehand.
I get it!
I really hope cam phasors are not an issue with the 2.7 like they are on the 3.5.
With the 3.5, you would usually get the rattle after it sits for 8+ hours, and even than, it would happen every time.

Let us know what you find out.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

That's some pretty bad phaser rattle if so. I agree with the suggestion above. Hold the accelerator pedal all the way down and let it crank for 5 seconds then let off and it will start. If the noise is gone it's most likely phaser rattle.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's some pretty bad phaser rattle if so. I agree with the suggestion above. Hold the accelerator pedal all the way down and let it crank for 5 seconds then let off and it will start. If the noise is gone it's most likely phaser rattle.
I'm headed out to give that a shot right now. I'll report back in a sec.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The F-150 forums for the 2.7 seem to think start-up rattle comes from wastegate on drivers side exhaust manifold and is normal? Maybe not the same for our 2.7, but its an alternate theory, and less scary than cams.

Found this video of bad phasors in a Lincoln 2.7, which had the phasors replaced and fixed the issue.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The F-150 forums for the 2.7 seem to think start-up rattle comes from wastegate on drivers side exhaust manifold and is normal? Maybe not the same for our 2.7, but its an alternate theory, and less scary than cams.
I thought about that too, but I went and listed to a couple on YouTube and they don't sound anywhere that bad!

segt1915

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-7l-tick-on-cold-start-up.33954/#post-1130627

OP - I had the exact same sound start in early December. It was diagnosed as a cam phaser issue and it sat at the dealer for two months waiting on the parts to fix it. I was told I could drive it in the interim but I chose to put miles on the loaner instead of my diesel sounding bronco with 2500 miles on it. For now the fix has worked but it's only been 300 miles.

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just had the cam phasers done on my 2019 F150 before trading it in. Based on the video and your description of when it happens, it sure sounds like that might be the culprit. Definitely time to take it in to your dealer. Let us know what they say.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Does sound like phaser rattle but louder than I'd expect. Never heard it on a 2.7 though, it's much more common on 3.5's and 5.0's.

OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Found this video of bad phasors in a Lincoln 2.7, which had the phasors replaced and fixed the issue.
This is exactly what it sounds like.. eesh.

OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-7l-tick-on-cold-start-up.33954/#post-1130627

OP - I had the exact same sound start in early December. It was diagnosed as a cam phaser issue and it sat at the dealer for two months waiting on the parts to fix it. I was told I could drive it in the interim but I chose to put miles on the loaner instead of my diesel sounding bronco with 2500 miles on it. For now the fix has worked but it's only been 300 miles.
So its not going to blow up in the meantime? I'll be a week or so before I can get it into the shop and it needs to be driven down to the carwash first.. I just got back from a trip out to an abandoned mine so its filthy.

ThunderTom

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasq. 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I took my Bronco 2.7L ~3k mikes in for cam phaser rattle on cold start. They have had it 2 weeks so far, hope to get it back this week.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The plot thickens - I checked oil levels as I hadn't done so in about 2,500 miles and noticed it was low a quart. Tossed in a quart of 5w30 synthetic and now I can't get the sound... I'll try again in the morning and see if its temperature dependent.

No leaks, so Im now curious on being a tad low on oil.
So what was your dipstick at? To be a quart low means your dipstick should be reading about at the max line (where the rest of the world would normally say your perfect)

To be where you should be, your oil should measure "into the twist"
Sponsored