First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m still driving something with Sync v01, so I was blown away with the capabilities of Sync in the Sport that I test drove (Sync 3, or did the Sport get 4 also?).

With everything that Sync seems able to do now, is there any reason why it doesn’t have the ability to update tire size and recal the speedometer? Doesn’t seem like it would be beyond the capabilities of the system, but is there something else I’m not considering??
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sync doesn't have anything to do with the speedo calibration. That's part of the power train control modules somewhere. Forscan or other OBDII tools can recalibrate the speedo. I have one that has the capability, but you have to pay "extra" for the software I believe.

OP
OP
sliwa

sliwa

Base
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Base
Makes sense, but still seems odd to me that one system in a truck can’t communicate with the other. 🤷‍♂️

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Makes sense, but still seems odd to me that one system in a truck can’t communicate with the other. 🤷‍♂️
I think the opposite. Way safer to silo these systems.

Could you imagine if Apple CarPlay froze, and as a result your turn signals stopped working?

;)

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Forscan is your solution. Have sync 3 in my truck. Looking forward to the sync 4 system.

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This seems weird to me, because on discount tires website it says most new cars can calibrate the speedometer using the head unit.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

its all good except when you dont encrypt the data traffic on the canbus.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They can communicate. They're all on a shared CANbus. But Ford didn't implement a way to modify PCM and IPC tire size settings via the entertainment system.

This seems weird to me, because on discount tires website it says most new cars can calibrate the speedometer using the head unit.
This isn't true. I Googled around a bit and apparently some Tacomas can do this? But every other method I found for calibrating the speedo involved an aftermarket tuner or a dealer-only program.

On further review, maybe you're referring to this:

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/speedometer-accuracy

Most modern vehicles can have the tire diameter changed in the vehicle computer, which will recalibrate the speedometer properly.
"Vehicle computer" - not the head unit or entertainment system, but the PCM/ECU. Modifying this requires an aftermarket or dealership tuning tool. Or for Fords, you can edit it using a laptop with Forscan.

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
They can communicate. They're all on a shared CANbus. But Ford didn't implement a way to modify PCM and IPC tire size settings via the entertainment system.

This isn't true. I Googled around a bit and apparently some Tacomas can do this? But every other method I found for calibrating the speedo involved an aftermarket tuner or a dealer-only program.

On further review, maybe you're referring to this:

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/speedometer-accuracy

"Vehicle computer" - not the head unit or entertainment system, but the PCM/ECU. Modifying this requires an aftermarket or dealership tuning tool. Or for Fords, you can edit it using a laptop with Forscan.
Thanks for the clarification on that!
Sponsored