Sponsored

Cargo area cigarette plug socket - power on all the time?

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wired my gmrs radio to the cigarette plug wires and it appears to still have power when the vehicle is off. It's not an issue for the radio as I can turn it off but I was also hoping to use this power for my dash cam.

Does anyone know if any of the sockets only work when the vehicle is on?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I wired my gmrs radio to the cigarette plug wires and it appears to still have power when the vehicle is off. It's not an issue for the radio as I can turn it off but I was also hoping to use this power for my dash cam.

Does anyone know if any of the sockets only work when the vehicle is on?

Thanks!
The rear power outlet you described stays on for approximately 45 minutes after the vehicle is turned off and then powers down.

DndRough

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 SCrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It is on a delay. Can't remember if it is a half hour or an hour.

Do you have upfitter switches? There are I believe two wires to choose from under the dash behind the glove box. Think they are both ignition and switched...in case you need to kill the cam so there isn't any evidence.

OP
OP

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
It is on a delay. Can't remember if it is a half hour or an hour.

Do you have upfitter switches? There are I believe two wires to choose from under the dash behind the glove box. Think they are both ignition and switched...in case you need to kill the cam so there isn't any evidence.
Thanks for the info on the delay!

Yes I have the switches, just don't see need to use up a switch for something like a dash cam!

I just searched the forum and someone tested the cargo plug and his shut off after 75 min.

Ford Bronco Cargo area cigarette plug socket - power on all the time? 1668414899629

I'd prefer it to go off when I turn off the vehicle. I'll ask my dealership if they can change the delay time to zero?

Last edited:

Sponsored

DndRough

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 SCrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes I have the switches, just don't see need to use up a switch for something like a dash cam!
Understand that. Back in the day tapping into the dash stereo power to a relay to a fuse block was the thing. Then run from the fuse block either directly to the accessory or through a switch.

Maybe sacrifice one upfitter switch, the lowest amp one, and mount the relay and fuse block on the firewall by the upfitter wires so you can run five or so ignition powered devices and have a master kill switch for all of them. You could also make use of the prewired points if you want.

DndRough

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 SCrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here is a cool vid about prepping the wires so you can easily switch them around as your needs change.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is a cool vid about prepping the wires so you can easily switch them around as your needs change.

Thank you!! I had crimped and heat shrink sealed a few connections already and wish I had done this from the beginning as I absolutely will be swapping functions out over time

DndRough

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 SCrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you!! I had crimped and heat shrink sealed a few connections already and wish I had done this from the beginning as I absolutely will be swapping functions out over time
If you do a lot of camping, there is another video I came across where this guy used LED light strips, $30 from Amazon and wired them into the cigarette lighter. Double sided tape to the bottom of the back window and on the cap above it. Lots of light for the cargo area and the area around the back end.
First thing for me will be prepping the upfitter wires. The camp light install will be second. Here's a link:

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, this is weird. First I’ve seen this.

I shut down the truck and stayed in for a few listening to a podcast and within 30 seconds or so (didn’t open the door, which shuts the infotainment off) - a banner popped up that said +/- All Outlets Off. My 12V in the console continued to work. I didn’t check the rear.

Turned it back on and it said +/- Low Power Mode On

Anyone else? What’s that mean?
Sponsored