Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So, i have all my oil's, the new ford performance diff cover. Put on my lift. Raise her up, and just start looking around underneath and.......look what i found… Fix or Repard Daily ( FORD)
1000025188.jpg

1000025189.jpg

1000025190.jpg

Well. I guess i bring her off the lift and to the dealer.
At least i found this before i started putting on all the new goodies.
Fix or repair Daily ( FORD) 🤣
Sponsored

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Went and changed the transfer case and rear diff today. Transfer case was easy except i under estimated the velocity of the fluid exiting the drain hole, got me pretty good.
I have the NV diff skid, took it off seamed heavy,
Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! 1000025341

Guess i didn't get all the dirt out last time!!
Both fluids looked good but there was definitely the metal paste in the rear diff.
Put the Ford Performace cover on. Went to put the NV diff skid back on and......Nope!!
Damn thing wont go on woth the upgraded diff cover😞
I would have to remove too much material from the skid to make it work with the cover, and the skid is much more important to me then the convenience of the drain plug
As you can tell, the skid gets used!!
Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! 1000025342

So, anyone looking for a diff cover that was put in place for about 5 minutes!!! I have one for sale!
Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! 1000025343

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Went and changed the transfer case and rear diff today. Transfer case was easy except i under estimated the velocity of the fluid exiting the drain hole, got me pretty good.

Both fluids looked good but there was definitely the metal paste in the rear diff.
Put the Ford Performace cover on. Went to put the NV diff skid back on and......Nope!!
I would have to remove too much material from the skid to make it work with the cover, and the skid is much more important to me then the convenience of the drain plug

So, anyone looking for a diff cover that was put in place for about 5 minutes!!! I have one for sale!
How much?

Sponsored

BBQBennz

Black Diamond
First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2001 Z06 Vette
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Anyone clean out some of the residual fluid that is full of the metal once drained?
I would flood with brake cleaner but would not necessarily do this to any of these axles, MT's or Transfer case. ...unless there is some recommendation from Ford or the Mfgr's to do it or something similar.
Maybe just letting the new fluid mix with the residual is good enough.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Anyone clean out some of the residual fluid that is full of the metal once drained?
I would flood with brake cleaner but would not necessarily do this to any of these axles, MT's or Transfer case. ...unless there is some recommendation from Ford or the Mfgr's to do it or something similar.
Maybe just letting the new fluid mix with the residual is good enough.
Do not use any type of brake cleaner or chlorinated solvent inside the differential. It will attack the seals which could lead to a leak.

Use lint free paper towels, like Scott's, to wipe out the inside. You will remove the vast majority of the residual goop safely that way.

The residual you mentioned is why I did 2 changes in 5K miles. These axles produce wear metals for longer than previous generations and since it is unfiltered, changing the fluid is the only way to remove the metal.

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Do not use any type of brake cleaner or chlorinated solvent inside the differential. It will attack the seals which could lead to a leak.

Use lint free paper towels, like Scott's, to wipe out the inside. You will remove the vast majority of the residual goop safely that way.

The residual you mentioned is why I did 2 changes in 5K miles. These axles produce wear metals for longer than previous generations and since it is unfiltered, changing the fluid is the only way to remove the metal.
If you let it sit it will all drain down and you can keep cleaning out the bottom of the diff. I probably let mine sit for at least 30 min total and cleaned out the bottom 3 or 4 times. I will probably do this again in another 5k miles ( i am at 15k now) like @CarbonSteel recomends.
And probably keep that interville, because the portals will need to be done at that mileage as well. Might as well do it all at the same time!

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wuuuutttt... I have the same diff cover and NV skid plate. I guess you're saying pick one? SMH WTF

Cygnusx1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayenne; Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Changed the front diff fluid yesterday. Will do transfer case and rear diff sometime this week. Badlands Sas 2.7 ~14,000 miles, and drained 16oz from the front. So, low factory fill definitely a thing.
Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! 1702913320897

Sponsored

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just got the call from the dealer. Rear main seal is leaking. Need to order parts but they are giving it back and going to schedule in January when the get the parts and after the holidays. Hoping the thrust bearing is not shot and causing this. They said they will see when they tear it apart. Said it will be a two day job

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A nice option from amsoil is quart sized bags. Was just able to squeeze it in. Easiest diff fill I've ever done. Took longer to clean the rear diff mating surfaces than it did to fill all 3 combined.
Ahh yes...Capris Sun for the car.

@orion , did you find a Lube Locker gasket for the Bronco? I only saw the 10 bolt pattern for the Dana axle which is not what we have on the Bronco. Otherwise that would have been my go-to. I figure it will be available the next time I change diff/transfer case fluids.

@CarbonSteel , I was not prepared for the Ravenol bottles when doing the transfer case. A very interesting design.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

@orion , did you find a Lube Locker gasket for the Bronco? I only saw the 10 bolt pattern for the Dana axle which is not what we have on the Bronco. Otherwise that would have been my go-to. I figure it will be available the next time I change diff/transfer case fluids.

@CarbonSteel , I was not prepared for the Ravenol bottles when doing the transfer case. A very interesting design.
Yeah...I am with you. The Flo Tool I use was bought especially for those bottles when I changed the transfer case fluid in my 2019 Wrangler. Their 1 gallon bottles are even worse.

PS...in case you were not aware, the OEM Ford rear axle gasket (which is the same for the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon axle) is reusable. I reused the one on my Wrangler at least 10x before I replaced it.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah...I am with you. The Flo Tool I use was bought especially for those bottles when I changed the transfer case fluid in my 2019 Wrangler. Their 1 gallon bottles are even worse.

PS...in case you were not aware, the OEM Ford rear axle gasket (which is the same for the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon axle) is reusable. I reused the one on my Wrangler at least 10x before I replaced it.
I just reused the OEM gasket. It's very similar to the Lube Locker.

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks everyone for this thread and your contributions.

I used stock viscosities (the Bronco lives at 9000 ft = cooler).

At 25K, front diff fluid was a bit dark, transfer case a bit darker. Rear diff looked great.

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! 20231220_152559
Sponsored