swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Here is a thorough and quantitative test of over a dozen gear oils.

Although conducted and authored by Amsoil, I still believe they have been fair/unbiased. I also don't agree with their simple equal weighting across criteria. Regardless, Amsoil came out on top. It's a great read and unlike anything I've ever seen on automotive lubricants. I'd love to see something similar for motor oils.

Link to my original B6G post and the report .
Sponsored

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can buy the studs and bolts from Belmetric though?
I can, but both Belmetric and McMaster want $10+ shipping on $15 orders. I know, silly, but I was trying to consolidate the orders and pay only one shipping fee. Yeah, silly, I know. $50k+ rig, trying to save $10 on shipping. So sue me... :D

By the way, what is the length of the original bolts and the length of the studs from the base of the nut flange to the top? Trying to match that as much as possible to make sure that removal of the brake like clips does not become too problematic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I can, but both Belmetric and McMaster want $10+ shipping on $15 orders. I know, silly, but I was trying to consolidate the orders and pay only one shipping fee. Yeah, silly, I know. $50k+ rig, trying to save $10 on shipping. So sue me... :D

By the way, what is the length of the original bolts and the length of the studs from the base of the nut flange to the top? Trying to match that as much as possible to make sure that removal of the brake like clips does not become too problematic.
Gotcha. Here from McMaster:

Studs - https://www.mcmaster.com/5580N148/
Bolts - https://www.mcmaster.com/93474A217/
Nuts - https://www.mcmaster.com/97765A120/
Magnetic Plugs - https://www.mcmaster.com/1457N14/

Original bolts and studs from the OEM cover or from the Ford Performance Cover? Note the threaded bosses in the rear axle housing are all 23MM deep. Whatever you decide to do, be sure that you have at least 16MM of thread engagement.

OEM Bolt:

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! OEM Bolt

OEM Stud Clip Side:

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! OEM Stud Clip Side

OEM Stud Cover Side:

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! OEM Stud Cover Side

FP Bolt:

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! FP Bolt

FP Stud Clip Side:

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! FP Stud Clip Side

FP Stud Cover Side:

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! FP Stud Cover Side

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

hotrodtim

Wildtrak
First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EXPEDITION,2009 F150,2003 LINCOLN AVIATOR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As "CarbonSteel" posted ,Belmetric hardware. I did find that the plastic clips removed very easy and not damaged . That said I did reuse them . Works well. Long term I did order the 75mm studs and locking nuts in case .Now complete diff and transfer case fluids changed at 2500 miles. Mercon LV and Amsoil products were used. I want to thank "CarbonSteel" for his in depth article on this topic. Well done!
Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! IMG_9762

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That has me wondering if this was enough…

That appears to be about 16MM (length with no washers would be about 20MM), but it is not accounting for the thickness of the cover or the gasket. You may have 5-7MM of engagement--maybe...

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As "CarbonStee" posted ,Belmetric hardware. I did find that the plastic clips removed very easy and not damaged . That said I did reuse them . Works well. Long term I did order the 75mm studs and locking nuts in case .Now complete diff and transfer case fluids changed at 2500 miles. Mercon LV and Amsoil products were used. I want to thank "CarbonSteel" for his in depth article on this topic. Well done!
What hardware did you use for the plastic clips? Does not seem to be the 75mm studs. By my math 60mm studs with 4mm and 2mm washers from belmetic should work - 13mm thread engagement (short side), 10mm to top of cover (23mm), 6mm washers to take you past the unthreaded section (29mm), 14mm for the nut (43mm), and 17mm protrusion for the clips (60mm). This will be slightly less than the OEM 20mm protrusion. Alternatively with a 65mm stud you will be at 22mm protrusion. Don't have a sense of how much play the brake like has to put clips back on, so trying to minimize the overall stud length.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That has me wondering if this was enough…

IMG_4047.jpeg
IMO, w/ the thread locker you'll be fine if you can get 6-8 full turns. On mine I just ground off the raised shoulder a bit until it would fit in the recess.

EDIT: I have the ARB, not FP

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
IMO, w/ the thread locker you'll be fine if you can get 6-8 full turns. On mine I just ground off the raised shoulder a bit until it would fit in the recess.

EDIT: I have the ARB, not FP
At 22 lb-ft or less, you **may** be ok, but anything more than that, you would be asking to strip the threaded boss.

I am doubtful that with the Ford Performance cover and the OEM gasket that you would have 6-8 turns of engagement on the stud shown with the washers.

That is about 16MM of thread, and you are going to lose another 8-9MM for the cover and gasket. The gasket does not compress much because it has steel inside it to prevent over torquing.

Proceed with caution...

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What hardware did you use for the plastic clips? Does not seem to be the 75mm studs. By my math 60mm studs with 4mm and 2mm washers from belmetic should work - 13mm thread engagement (short side), 10mm to top of cover (23mm), 6mm washers to take you past the unthreaded section (29mm), 14mm for the nut (43mm), and 17mm protrusion for the clips (60mm). This will be slightly less than the OEM 20mm protrusion. Alternatively with a 65mm stud you will be at 22mm protrusion. Don't have a sense of how much play the brake like has to put clips back on, so trying to minimize the overall stud length.
If you want 65MM studs, I have some that I will mail out to you. I bought two each of:

65MM
70MM
75MM
80MM
90MM

to determine which fit my setup the best (which was 75MM).

The brake line has some play in it--it is not super rigid. As long as you have 20ish MM sticking out from the cover, you should be fine to reattach the plastic clips.

Sponsored

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I changed mine @ 25k miles, the fluids looked fine. I filled royal purple 75-140 for both front/rear and valvoline for the trans case.
I wish the ford perf cover would fit on the raptor.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I changed mine @ 25k miles, the fluids looked fine. I filled royal purple 75-140 for both front/rear and valvoline for the trans case.
I wish the ford perf cover would fit on the raptor.
for sure there are D50 covers but they are way too much $$$

hotrodtim

Wildtrak
First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EXPEDITION,2009 F150,2003 LINCOLN AVIATOR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
With the new Ford Performance diff cover comes a new hardware kit and gasket which 'I didn't use . the hardware kit included the new brake line studs with attached nuts that I used from the kit. Didn't measure them because the test fit was perfect. The 10 Belmetric new bolts and 2 new studs from the Ford kit all torqued to 24ft. lbs without any trouble.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you want 65MM studs, I have some that I will mail out to you. I bought two each of:

65MM
70MM
75MM
80MM
90MM

to determine which fit my setup the best (which was 75MM).

The brake line has some play in it--it is not super rigid. As long as you have 20ish MM sticking out from the cover, you should be fine to reattach the plastic clips.
Very kind of you to offer but if I am ordering bolts and washers etc then the studs are just a few extra bucks, not worth wasting your time.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Wow, what a generous B6G fellow you are!
Sponsored