Checkin Post: Apple Carplay Lost Connectivity

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2023 Bronco Heritage Edition
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've been experiencing Apple Carplay dropping connectivity (or not connecting at all on startup) throughout the roughly half year I've had my 2023 Heritage. I've searched the forums and my understanding is that this is a fairly common issue but one that neither Ford nor Apple have resolved through a software or hardware update. Is my understanding accurate? Thanks!
Sponsored

Kjbeggs

Outer Banks
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For Wireless CarPlay:
Historically, mine has done it sporadically, but was usually resolved by rebooting or updating my phone.
However, over the past few weeks, it's become a daily occurrence.
It will connect most of the time, when i start the Bronco, but within minutes audio becomes choppy and then it loses connection altogether. sometimes it will reconnect itself two or three times in rapid succession before stopping altogether.
I'm about to the point of just connecting via USB-C cable every time I get in.

OP
OP
rcl4668

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For Wireless CarPlay:
Historically, mine has done it sporadically, but was usually resolved by rebooting or updating my phone.
However, over the past few weeks, it's become a daily occurrence.
It will connect most of the time, when i start the Bronco, but within minutes audio becomes choppy and then it loses connection altogether. sometimes it will reconnect itself two or three times in rapid succession before stopping altogether.
I'm about to the point of just connecting via USB-C cable every time I get in.
Thanks! Unfortunately, I've experienced similar issues both wirelessly and when lpugged in by USB cable. The majority of the time my iPhone is physically connected by cable.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm the biggest Ford fan boy and almost never publicly complain about minor irritants with my Bronco. But this is one of those things I just can't understand why they can't make it work right. Mine has always had trouble connecting to iphone CarPlay by bluetooth. I gave up long ago and just resorted to having a stupid cable dangling out of it all the time.

By contrast, about 10 years ago I put a mid-grade Sony stereo into my 2002 F250 because I wanted wireless Bluetooth connectivity with my phone, for both music and hands-free phone. It worked flawlessly and still does, all these years later. Sometimes I don't use that truck for months at a time, but whenever I get back in it, my phone automatically connects without any hassle. Again, that's a 10-year old head unit, one that wasn't that expensive to begin with. It still works great, but my current-gen Bronco sucks ass at doing the same thing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
rcl4668

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'll be replacing my current iPhone (11 Pro) with an iPhone 15 Pro in a few days. I will report back if this resolves or improves the issue.

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine loses connectivity regularly at a spot near an intense antennae farm. Assuming there are 5G and other wireless communications towers mounted on the Highway Under Pass. I have to perform the 6G Radio hard reset (Power Switch + Fast Forward) every time I pass this location. This happens more regularly after upgrading to an iPhone 15Pro

Anybody else?

Last edited:

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll be replacing my current iPhone (11 Pro) with an iPhone 15 Pro in a few days. I will report back if this resolves or improves the issue.
I'll be curious to hear if it does. I went from a 12 to a 15 Pro last year and it didn't help.

OP
OP
rcl4668

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm the biggest Ford fan boy and almost never publicly complain about minor irritants with my Bronco. But this is one of those things I just can't understand why they can't make it work right. Mine has always had trouble connecting to iphone CarPlay by bluetooth. I gave up long ago and just resorted to having a stupid cable dangling out of it all the time.

By contrast, about 10 years ago I put a mid-grade Sony stereo into my 2002 F250 because I wanted wireless Bluetooth connectivity with my phone, for both music and hands-free phone. It worked flawlessly and still does, all these years later. Sometimes I don't use that truck for months at a time, but whenever I get back in it, my phone automatically connects without any hassle. Again, that's a 10-year old head unit, one that wasn't that expensive to begin with. It still works great, but my current-gen Bronco sucks ass at doing the same thing.
Yeah, my previous car was a 2019 Bullitt Mustang with an older version of Sync and it too worked flawlessly albeit it required a physical cable to work.

OP
OP
rcl4668

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'll be curious to hear if it does. I went from a 12 to a 15 Pro last year and it didn't help.
Yeah, I've seen others with more recent phones report the same issue so I'm not hopeful.

Sponsored

OJK

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco, "09 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've also had daily issues with Carplay connecting to my iPhone (14 pro). And when it does decide to stay connected, more often than not the audio quality of any music source is terrible unless I restart my iPhone. Ford really needs to implement a proper fix for all these Carplay issues.

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For several months last year I had bad connectivity problems with CarPlay. But now haven’t had an issue in a long time. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I had a recall to replace some chip and I asked if that chip would affect Bluetooth. They said yes, and then didn’t do the recall because they didn’t have the chip for my 8” screen…

Long story short: my problem fixed itself. But it was a PITA for a while!

OP
OP
rcl4668

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, Sync (albeit older versions) has worked for me pretty flawlessly in other cars (2014 Ford Fiesta St, 2019 Mustang Bullitt). No issues at all. Granted these were not wireless Carplay but I'm also frustrated. I would at least like to know if this is a hardware issue or one that could be fixed with a wireless software update.

Rory

Badlands
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sas, Corvette E-RAY, Tesla Model X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine loses connectivity regularly at a spot near an intense antennae farm. Assuming there are 5G and other wireless communications towers mounted on the Highway Under Pass. I have to perform the 6G Radio hard reset (Power Switch + Fast Forward) every time I pass this location. This happens more regularly after upgrading to an iPhone 15Pro

Anybody else?
YES - same thing near communications towers off highway. Thought I was the only one.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
One of my main complaints about the Bronco actually.

However I don't often lose connection while driving and it's already connected. Actually I don't remember that ever happening. It's usually when I start and it doesn't pair properly. But I can still play music/podcasts via the Ford interface by selecting bluetooth input.

It REALLY doesn't like it when I start, connect my phone, and then get back out while it's running and run back in the house. (don't shut the door for the double honk) When I get back in, carplay doesn't always reconnect.
Sponsored