Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi!

Stepping a babyfoot into comms (picked up a relatively inexpensive handheld unit) for an upcoming ride and have NO idea what GMRS is all about (other than you need a license and it has better range).

Can someone give me the direct link for the FCC license and maybe a basic primer on configuring / testing / programming?
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GMRS is nothing more than HAM radio frequencies set aside and pre-set for you into "channels" like CB of old. The big benefit of this is that instead of trying to tell group of folks 145.600 Mhz you can just say "go to channel 19". Because you know half the group is going to input 145.6, and the other half that's dyslexic is going to type in 146.5 and then you spend 20 minutes getting it all square.

Technically yes, there is a GMRS license the fee is nominal, there is no test, and it covers your entire household. You can ready about it here: https://quality2wayradios.com/store/gmrs-fcc-license

Pro-tip: It's the right thing to do to get a license, but the FCC doesn't give a crap about 5 watt simplex communication on the trail unless you somehow use it to harass someone nearby with a business license.

As for usage: agree upon a channel with your buddy, set both radios to the same channel, go wheeling.

If you want to get fancy you can set privacy tones so that your radios can filter out other people chattering on the same frequency, though keep in mind people not filtering will still hear YOU, you just won't hear them.

Pro-pro tip: I still prefer HAM, GMRS channels are getting mega-fucking-crowded now that every body has these damn Midland radios and a whole lot of transmit power.

OP
OP
Draughon

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Perfect! Thank you.

If my intent is just to keep track and talk to 7-8-9 people in wheeling train, do I need to worry about repeaters or programming them in? That's just if I want to talk to someone on the other side of the mountain or if I'm by myself somewhere and need help?

GMRS is nothing more than HAM radio frequencies set aside and pre-set for you into "channels" like CB of old. The big benefit of this is that instead of trying to tell group of folks 145.600 Mhz you can just say "go to channel 19". Because you know half the group is going to input 145.6, and the other half that's dyslexic is going to type in 146.5 and then you spend 20 minutes getting it all square.

Technically yes, there is a GMRS license the fee is nominal, there is no test, and it covers your entire household. You can ready about it here:

https://quality2wayradios.com/store/gmrs-fcc-license

Pro-tip: It's the right thing to do to get a license, but the FCC doesn't give a crap about 5 watt simplex communication on the trail unless you somehow use it to harass someone nearby with a business license.

As for usage: agree upon a channel with your buddy, set both radios to the same channel, go wheeling.

If you want to get fancy you can set privacy tones so that your radios can filter out other people chattering on the same frequency, though keep in mind people not filtering will still hear YOU, you just won't hear them.

Pro-pro tip: I still prefer HAM, GMRS channels are getting mega-fucking-crowded now that every body has these damn Midland radios and a whole lot of transmit power.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Perfect! Thank you.

If my intent is just to keep track and talk to 7-8-9 people in wheeling train, do I need to worry about repeaters or programming them in? That's just if I want to talk to someone on the other side of the mountain or if I'm by myself somewhere and need help?
Well, its a responsible thing to know which GMRS repeaters are reachable from an area you're planning to wheel in because the range they provide is stellar and in an emergency it could be your only way to call for help.

Just know that ANYONE tuned into the repeater can hear you, and you shouldn't be hogging a repeater for your wheeling fun. You can see a map of repeaters and their approximate cover areas here: https://mygmrs.com/ They'll use the standard GMRS repeater channels, but they might use a specific privacy tone. To use a repeater, you really should get a license.

I also suggest that if you think you'll run into random people, pick-up a Baofeng UV-5R and keep it in the truck, just in case you need to talk on HAM to someone. They're dirt cheap, clumsy to use, but they get the job done.

OP
OP
Draughon

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks! Registered my FRN but can't figure out how to get to callsign / licensing?

Also, NO repeaters where I'm headed (based on that map / www site) -

Big Bend National Park. ;-)

Well, its a responsible thing to know which GMRS repeaters are reachable from an area you're planning to wheel in because the range they provide is stellar and in an emergency it could be your only way to call for help.

Just know that ANYONE tuned into the repeater can hear you, and you shouldn't be hogging a repeater for your wheeling fun. You can see a map of repeaters and their approximate cover areas here: https://mygmrs.com/ They'll use the standard GMRS repeater channels, but they might use a specific privacy tone. To use a repeater, you really should get a license.

I also suggest that if you think you'll run into random people, pick-up a Baofeng UV-5R and keep it in the truck, just in case you need to talk on HAM to someone. They're dirt cheap, clumsy to use, but they get the job done.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

OP
OP
Draughon

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thanks!

They could make this easier.... (your tax dollars at work)... okay, got logged in, and now there's 19000 options for "what radio service" I want... I don't see GMRS specifically... which do I choose?
something like ZA - General Mobile Radio (GMRS)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Draughon

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for all the help guys! Got the FCC License and my Radioddity GM-30 came in the mail yesterday, got it charged up and was able to listen to FM and radio channels.

Did a channel search just for fun and stumbled upon some sort of weird-ass "men's group" chat late last night....

My fiance' is convinced it was some sort of "Prepper Chat".

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GOOD MORNING
With a GMRS radio can I have access to CB channel 10 USE by truck drivers particularly transporting wood? yes or no please?
tracktoy

OP
OP
Draughon

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding, NO... CBs use a different frequency from GMRS so they wouldn't be able to talk to each other.

GOOD MORNING
With a GMRS radio can I have access to CB channel 10 USE by truck drivers particularly transporting wood? yes or no please?
tracktoy

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding, NO... CBs use a different frequency from GMRS so they wouldn't be able to talk to each other.
thank
i have to buy a CB RADIO to go at my second house in the wood.
two radio on the BRONCO it's not a big deal But is,t ok
thank for your answer
tracktoy

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

FYI GMRS channel 8-14 are .5w for handhelds so they wont show up on a midland mxts. Always carry a handheld somewhere.
Sponsored