Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tell him about how reliable and easy maintenance is on Land Rovers, and their wide network of dealers also makes any warranty issues a breeze to handle.
What warranty issues?

;)

Reliability, dealer network, inexpensive repairs. - Pick zero.

Reminds me of the joke:

Know why the British don't build computers?

They can't figure out how to make them leak oil.
Sponsored

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So hear me out. I really, really, really want a Bronco. BUT, a combination of things is pushing me away:
1) I am a late reservation holder already, so with the latest news from Ford I am very disheartened about probably having to wait till calendar year 22 to get my manual Sasquatch badlands
2) I am frustrated that the only interior choices on the badlands are black
3) I am frustrated that Ford is not offering a green color (CG doesn't count)
4) Equipped the way I want, with all the goodies I want, the Badlands I have been planning to order will top $60K (I am a business owner and will be using this vehicle for marketing purposes/tax right off)

so...

1) I think I can get a Defender much, much sooner as they are already on the streets
2) The Defender has a strikingly similar interior design to the Bronco but with nicer materials and colors, I can get white headliner & seats
3) I can get a Defender in Green, WITH A WHITE ROOF AND WHITE STEEL WHEELS!
4) While certainly more expensive than a fully loaded Bronco Badlands, the Defender isn't nearly as expensive as you might think it'd be, especially when you think about all the aftermarket 'investments' I'd want to do to the Bronco; AND you can equip it with some pretty cool accessories from the factory that the Bronco does not offer (for example, a functioning snorkel, air ride suspension, integrated air compressor (Ford's is a separate ARB piece you have to mount yourself if you want it onboard), integrated ladder, a sliding glass panoramic roof that still functions under their roof rack, and on and on).

I realize that the combination of factory 35"s and a manual transmission can't be had on the Defender, but I don't really 'need' 35's, and I'd be willing to sacrifice the Manny tranny to get my off-roader no later than summer and possibly in the spring. Also aesthetically I think the Bronco looks better, but the new Defender design has really grown on me and I don't think its a bad looking vehicle at all.

Am I crazy? Do I need to be talked from the edge? or does the Defender push your buttons too? Do these pictures rustle your feathers as they do mine? Anybody have LR horror stories to share and scare me away from the Land Rover? (also I would probably go the 4 door 110 route vs the two door 90 route but couldn't find cool action shots of a white roofed white wheeled green 110 playing in the countryside)

901ba4a1cbe0c8a601e293e5613159e0.jpg

2020-Land-Rover-Defender-90-off-road-wading-1000x600.jpg

100919-New-land-Rover-Defender7-c-Land-Rover.jpg

LR_DEF_20MY_90_26.02.2020_22.jpg

Land-Rover-Defender-3-of-5.jpg

land-rover-defender-110_01.jpg
Quit drinking the orange cool aid and come to your senses!

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They cannot be flat towed behind a motorhome.

That's a hard no for me.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Their reputation for bad quality precedes them. I did look at their B&P recently and I have to say that the options and accessories are really cool. Looks like over 200 of them. :p

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think they are quirky and cool. I have some experience with British vehicles. They are usually very attractive and brutal to own. I really thought TATA would help, but it seems not. Ford dumped their British holdings after spending years and hundreds of millions if not billions to get the ship "righted". For me, it would be a hard no, but I would happily go for a spin in one!

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I love my Land Rovers and have had no real problems with the pair of 2006 Range Rovers I bought 4 years old in 2010. At that point they had a decent track record of no real issues for that model & of that year. I would wait 2 years and see what the track record is on the new Defender. The choice, to me, is wait 2 years before buying a Defender or wait one year and get a Bronco. I am a Land Rover & Defender fan and have troubles with the Tata Motors higher pricing since they purchased Land Rover. Seems to me quality went down & prices went up. Really disappointed that LR did not have a soft top Defender option after waiting for it and totally on board for the great design job Ford did with the Bronco. I'm all in for a Bronco!

If you don't want to wait - get a Defender. It will be fun and cool to drive. If I had the cash I get a Defender while I wait for my Bronco and then decide to keep the Defender or trade / resell for the Bronco. Either truck will be a blast.

DC9atnight

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can't fathom how the built in bottle opener isnt keeping you on the Bronco side of the fence:rolleyes:
Maybe he was upset that his 2dr Bronco doesn't come with the bottle opener LOL

Sponsored

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

splathead

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Acord
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was all set in my mind to get the new Defender until I saw the Bronco reveal.

The Bronco is what the Defender should have been. Rugged looking, modular, a nod to the past.

The new defender is turning out to be unreliable, super expensive, and looking like any other Range Rover.

These guys are on their 3rd one due to reliability issues:

zedster

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco 2 dr Badlands SAS, '22 F150 PowerBoost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think you should get one and cancel your reservation. NEXT!

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nope. Not at all.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’d say it sounds like you are looking for more of what the defender promised, not what the defender is delivering. Seems to be a huge piece of shit based on feedback from people that have them.

Honestly I think the 90 is pretty cool. Shouldn’t wear the Defender nameplate IMO, but as it’s own thing it’s neat. However, LR seems intent on thoroughly testing the limits of its warranty network so no way I’d buy one of these things until they sort the drivetrain issues.
Sponsored