Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

Evanm14

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5, Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does the roof come off? If it doesn't, there are plenty of SUVs you can look at, but not in the same class of vehicle.
The Defender 90 two door model has an optional powered canvas type top. TFL (Youtube channel) had an issue with their brand new 110 4 cylinder model and got the 6 cylinder version instead.
Sponsored

Antron

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm at $50k for a Badlands. The reality is sinking in that I can get a luxury SUV for about 10K less. Yeah, I won't be able to take off the doors or roof, but 10k is 10k...lol

fpGT350

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Viper RT/10; 09 AMG C63; 18 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Land Rover build and price portal is fun to work with (Ford please take note) Makes the Bronco B&P look amateurish. If the reliability ratings were not so dreadful, I'd be interested.

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been a Defender fan for a long time and owned 4 Land Rovers - I waited for the Defender - once it came out I was super disappointed with the front end looks, unibody design, etc. But I still went to see one and drive it. In-person it is impressive and looks big and strong. But then I tapped with my knuckles some body panels and it felt and was cheap plastic. That turned me off big time. Junk.
I drove one and I loved it. But whenever I think of going in that direction - I think of the cheap plastic body panels and the stupid ugly front. Sorry if you like it -

a Defender I like would be about 60K - while skimping on some cool options and filled with regret of not getting the 70K Defender.

A Bronco BD I like will be about 45k - mid package, well optioned no SAS.
That's 15K good reasons right there.

Sponsored

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I feel like you ripped these thoughts directly out of my brain, other than the fact that I have a pretty early reservation. Have thought pretty much the exact same thing.

A few things.

The Defender will be:
  • much nicer/ quieter to be inside of and drive long distances in
  • more rare, and more of an event when you see one on the road- it's more of an "elite" car for better or worse
  • more unique with white roof and wheels, third front seat, alpine windows, etc. (aftermarket notwithstanding for Bronco)
  • in your driveway in the spring
The Bronco will be:
  • more fun, with a removable roof and doors
  • more durable/ likely cheaper to maintain and fix
  • as a result of the above, more likely to actually be used off road, given lower fear of damage or of breakdowns in the middle of nowhere
  • more of an everyman car, that will get less attention after flooding the roads, but maybe more positive attention overall- it's a happy car
  • in your driveway...one day?
Up front prices are likely to be in the same ballpark if you were going to load up a Badlands like me, but the long run cost of ownership may likely be higher with the Land Rover. You probably want to warranty yourself well with the Defender.

I'd recommend you take a look at Doug Demuro and TFL's videos on YouTube for the Defender and go from there. Think it comes down to being honest with yourself about what you really want/need.

Demuro has had many Land Rovers/ Defenders, and currently has multiple convertible trucks. He says himself that his experiences and memories in those cars (old Defender and G-Wagen) were something he'd never forget, and that he got the latest Defender as it was more practical for how he planned to use it.

Fine on all and this is a personal preference type of decision, but ownership costs will absolutely be higher with the Land Rover. All of the ones I have either owned myself or had family that owned have been POS's. Even when Ford owned them... junk. Wife still loves the look, but knows they are crap so we are looking elsewhere for her, likely the X7.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have never understood the premium prices commanded by new British vehicles including LR, Jags and RR/Bentleys when their reliability and overall resale value seems abysmal. If you can lease as a business owner, I would not hesitate to pursue it. But not a purchase.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. The specs for several of the features, performance and off road, are better with the Defender. So, I'm considering it.

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not in a million years ... I only buy US and the biggest Bronco appeal for me is the removable roof and doors as well as how awesome it’ll look with the Sasquatch, and hitch is standard in the Wildtrak 4 door. I’ve never had any interest in Jeep or Land Rover and that’s not going to change because I naught have to wait until fall (or longer) ... but I’m fine with everyone else jumping ship!!!

ScoobyDrew

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Read the review of the Defender in the WSJ from a couple weeks ago. The WSJ auto reviewer is really funny. You'll love the ending line and sums up the decision pretty well - "You just have to ask yourself - Do you feel lucky?"

Sponsored

ScottW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not interested in a Defender but a 392 Wrangler could sway me if they price them realistically.

firsttimefordbuyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I felt the exact way about the Defender. I started 2020 100% wanted a defender. I didn't reserve one so had a hard time finding one. I spoke with about 10 dealerships and finally found one but then they wanted $15k over MSRP as a 'market value' fee. Another dealer added $20k. I finally got so exhausted from the over pricing and if I tried to build it, they said it wouldn't get here until 2021 anyway so I reserved a Bronco. I'm not a Ford fan but I'm all in for the Bronco. I'm not really saving that much money either as the build for the badlands I want is about $60k and the LR/D was about 70K.

I did think about the defender again recently when I think about waiting another year if I don't get delivery in 2021. A post here changed my mind. Take a look at this youtube link and then search on YT. This validated that I shouldn't not consider Land Rover for anything as they look great but are horrible for reliability. There are horror stories of other models catching on fire or breaking down within months of owning them. I'm sure this is a small % but would be my luck that mine would break.