Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No - I didn’t realize I had made that statement. I am adding the tow pkg so I do realize it’s not standard - I think I meant that Sasquatch was included!! Oops
Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Toyota Avalon, 08 Honda Civic, 01 Nissan Pathfinder, 10 3T Saab, 94 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Besides being known for their famous quality, it seems they nickel and dime the customer to death.

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What the eff is that giant platform under the passenger side seat? Yikes.

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So. Having seen one of these, I now understand why all the photos only show the front.

Have ya'll seen the back of these? The placement of the lights and styling of it as a whole is laughable as hell for a $75k+ rig.
Adding this because lollllllll

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. 1608074031566

For all the bitching we do about the Bronco having stuff we want to change, one thing we ALL agree on: the design is incredible. This? I don't know how the hell they fucked up the design of the back so badly.

Sponsored

Edumakated

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was looking at the Defender but couldn't justify it over my current 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My JGC has been pretty flawless and like the car except for a few little niggles here and there. My only gripe is that it is just appliance like to me... since I can't get a sports car, I want my car to have some more character.

I was excited for the Defender thinking it would be closer to the old school ones. However, they really designed the character out of it imho. I would have been first in line had it been like the INEOS defender, but that remains vaporware at this point. It is the only car right now that might make me reconsider the Bronco.

I saw the bronco and it spoke to me as to what I was looking for in a more rugged but modern SUV. It keeps the design that we know and love, but updated it. So I am all in on the Bronco, specifically wanting a Warthog... or I will build myself that Overland concept.

Beyond that I was a bit skeptical of the reliability component of the Land Rover and glad I didn't roll that dice.

Axe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 2018 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love the dash...wouldnt be caught dead in one. Too many reliability horror stories that, amazingly - they still havent seemed to correct.

HEMI_Shaker

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challanger 392 Shaker (Sublime gree
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So hear me out. I really, really, really want a Bronco. BUT, a combination of things is pushing me away:
1) I am a late reservation holder already, so with the latest news from Ford I am very disheartened about probably having to wait till calendar year 22 to get my manual Sasquatch badlands
2) I am frustrated that the only interior choices on the badlands are black
3) I am frustrated that Ford is not offering a green color (CG doesn't count)
4) Equipped the way I want, with all the goodies I want, the Badlands I have been planning to order will top $60K (I am a business owner and will be using this vehicle for marketing purposes/tax right off)

so...

1) I think I can get a Defender much, much sooner as they are already on the streets
2) The Defender has a strikingly similar interior design to the Bronco but with nicer materials and colors, I can get white headliner & seats
3) I can get a Defender in Green, WITH A WHITE ROOF AND WHITE STEEL WHEELS!
4) While certainly more expensive than a fully loaded Bronco Badlands, the Defender isn't nearly as expensive as you might think it'd be, especially when you think about all the aftermarket 'investments' I'd want to do to the Bronco; AND you can equip it with some pretty cool accessories from the factory that the Bronco does not offer (for example, a functioning snorkel, air ride suspension, integrated air compressor (Ford's is a separate ARB piece you have to mount yourself if you want it onboard), integrated ladder, a sliding glass panoramic roof that still functions under their roof rack, and on and on).

I realize that the combination of factory 35"s and a manual transmission can't be had on the Defender, but I don't really 'need' 35's, and I'd be willing to sacrifice the Manny tranny to get my off-roader no later than summer and possibly in the spring. Also aesthetically I think the Bronco looks better, but the new Defender design has really grown on me and I don't think its a bad looking vehicle at all.

Am I crazy? Do I need to be talked from the edge? or does the Defender push your buttons too? Do these pictures rustle your feathers as they do mine? Anybody have LR horror stories to share and scare me away from the Land Rover? (also I would probably go the 4 door 110 route vs the two door 90 route but couldn't find cool action shots of a white roofed white wheeled green 110 playing in the countryside)

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. 1608074031566

Well I think you have two choices when it comes to making your decision;

1) wait at home patiently for your Bronco to be built and delivered late 2021.

2) Buy a defender and wait the same amount of time and longer in the waiting room of the landrover dealer waiting for them to fix your new defender over and over and over again.

Dont forget the 2400 dollar break and rotor job at 3k miles because the factory breaks pads are shit and the rotors are paper thin.

DustyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That thing is super ugly. But I am always thinking g of jumping ship for a c8...

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'd love one...

If it came with a stick. And removable doors. And a removable roof. And a front locker. And was $10k cheaper. And was reliable.

But in all honestly I'd love to have one. It'd be on the short list if I had to have an automatic trans.

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So hear me out. I really, really, really want a Bronco. BUT, a combination of things is pushing me away:
1) I am a late reservation holder already, so with the latest news from Ford I am very disheartened about probably having to wait till calendar year 22 to get my manual Sasquatch badlands
2) I am frustrated that the only interior choices on the badlands are black
3) I am frustrated that Ford is not offering a green color (CG doesn't count)
4) Equipped the way I want, with all the goodies I want, the Badlands I have been planning to order will top $60K (I am a business owner and will be using this vehicle for marketing purposes/tax right off)

so...

1) I think I can get a Defender much, much sooner as they are already on the streets
2) The Defender has a strikingly similar interior design to the Bronco but with nicer materials and colors, I can get white headliner & seats
3) I can get a Defender in Green, WITH A WHITE ROOF AND WHITE STEEL WHEELS!
4) While certainly more expensive than a fully loaded Bronco Badlands, the Defender isn't nearly as expensive as you might think it'd be, especially when you think about all the aftermarket 'investments' I'd want to do to the Bronco; AND you can equip it with some pretty cool accessories from the factory that the Bronco does not offer (for example, a functioning snorkel, air ride suspension, integrated air compressor (Ford's is a separate ARB piece you have to mount yourself if you want it onboard), integrated ladder, a sliding glass panoramic roof that still functions under their roof rack, and on and on).

I realize that the combination of factory 35"s and a manual transmission can't be had on the Defender, but I don't really 'need' 35's, and I'd be willing to sacrifice the Manny tranny to get my off-roader no later than summer and possibly in the spring. Also aesthetically I think the Bronco looks better, but the new Defender design has really grown on me and I don't think its a bad looking vehicle at all.

Am I crazy? Do I need to be talked from the edge? or does the Defender push your buttons too? Do these pictures rustle your feathers as they do mine? Anybody have LR horror stories to share and scare me away from the Land Rover? (also I would probably go the 4 door 110 route vs the two door 90 route but couldn't find cool action shots of a white roofed white wheeled green 110 playing in the countryside)
Yeah, but it's ugly and stuff.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We'll all see how the Bronco fares once it's actually available for youtubers to test.

Motor Trend's 2021 SUV of the Year award winner - Land Rover Defender

Last edited:

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks amazing it I’m pretty terrified of the reliability and maintenance costs. I’ll pass

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Defender looks awesome. Id be worried about reliability tho...
Sponsored