Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For me the Bronco looks great in a two door, but the Defender looks better in a 4-Door.
Sponsored

Iceman153

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

TBH, my problem is I always want the best. It's why I've spent so much for watches, Leica cameras, etc. Even in playing with various builds of the Defender today, I can't seem to stay under 70K (too many great options I'd want)! It certainly makes the price I'd pay for the 4-door Badlands with all the options I want an absolute steal, especially considering I'll get it all at $1K under invoice (my res is with Stephens Auto Center in WV). I almost wish I was budget constrained, because that would at least keep me from considering spending $75K or more on the Defender.
Lol, I know exactly what you mean, and this is why I think I'm leaning towards the defender. Yeah it's more, but it's also a far better vehicle for a daily driver, and will still get you most places a bronco would. To me the relatively small difference in price makes the broncos cost hard to justify. You could opt for a more basic spec, but I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to opt for a basic bronco, its just missing too many basic comforts. Like a heated steering wheel, why is that in the lux package? it's standard on the base defender.

I guess the cheapest way to get lux is on an OBX, but then you have to live with those wacky interiors they force on you, and would need to change the rims/tires, or go sasquatch

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have to say the 90 looks good. I spec'ed it out at 57k. My Bronco Badlands spec is 56k.

maxresdefault.jpg

1.jpg
Land_Rover-Defender_90-2021-1600-03.jpg

2021-land-rover-defender-side-view-carbuzz-767506.jpg
Vroom! Sputter sputtter...cough...call Roadside Assistance. But it does look good...Mine would be Pangea Green, white top, same wheels as above.

Gpscharron

Badlands
First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD Bronco, RV- Ford E450 (Thor Vegas 24.1)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1. Open air
2. Customization
3. 10+ years with car.
IMO- Not in the same class..
Bronco is 100% what I want ..

BD1

Badlands
First Name
BD1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the top came off the defender 90 I would have considered it. I am also not a fan of the defender front end including the angry eyes look. They should have carried over more of the older defender front end design.

All range rovers now are just different sizes of the same basic design.....squeezing the sausage to different sizes.

Sponsored

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
One of my fears with the Defender is that I drive fast. Ford is built to handle that, not so sure about the defender. I bent a wheel in death valley just driving down a dirt road in a velar even though I got the smallest wheels. Also their four wheel drive "system" won't lock the differential until the tires are spinning at 3000 rpm. (graphical screen shows differntial locks) Which means you've dug a hole in the mud before all tires are spinning. So I was stuck in two inches of mud on the side of the road (dry grass on top). I think the way to go is get a bronco now, when I get tired of the wind noise buy a year three production 2 door defender just off lease with a cpo warranty. So maybe 5-6 years from now.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1. Open air
2. Customization
3. 10+ years with car.
IMO- Not in the same class..
Bronco is 100% what I want ..
Exactly. Either you want a fancy SUV, or you want an off road, open air vehicle. Totally different things. Completely different experience. You want fancy pants and quiet, Bronco is not for you. If you plan on keeping the top down or off a ton, then you buy a Bronco.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2.7 turbo V6 ain't shabby
decent ground clearance
T-top even if you never take the cap off
length - many SUVs today are gargantuan

Gpscharron

Badlands
First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD Bronco, RV- Ford E450 (Thor Vegas 24.1)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO: This is a personal choice and everyone has different reason for getting a Bronco, picking a certain type of TRIM and Style..
Here are my overall top five reasons (Higher level):

1. Bronco seems to really understand what JEEP people want and how to make it better!! IMO
2. Manual / 2-door is a ”Car TOY” and is meant to be used to explore and experience new things (NOT A Commute vehicle) FUN!!!!
3. Badlands really means BadASS!!
4. Getting a Bronco is like selecting a “Life Style”!! This is why people do not get why some of us like Manual and DO NOT CARE ABOUT NOISE or GAS Milage!!!
5. OPEN AIR - Customize all you want and hand it over to your child 10+ years from now (For me.. more like 20+ Hopefully!!

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lucky 8 llc defender on 35's

image-3.jpg

image.jpg

Sponsored

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
extended warranty is always an option.
Maybe not.

A few days ago the folks on the YouTube channel Your Auto Advocate (43 yr. retired dealer sales manager and his son discussing the tricks and realities of the trade), they were talking about extended warranties as part of a series of discussions with an F&I manager. They went through all of the basics, talked about negotiating, what's covered etc., and at the end were discussing the whys/why nots of where to buy it.

Just as they were closing, they were saying extended warranties are universally available -- but both the F&I manager and the retired sales managers almost instantly added that this is true *except* for Land Rovers, because many warranty companies won't write policies for LRs because they can't make any money!

Iceman153

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Maybe not.
Maybe not with a third party, but when you can get the factory warranty extended to 10 years why would one even consider a third party? I guess beyond 10 years it's your only option, but third party warranties on cars that old are dodgy anyway.

BadlandsBroncoBen

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Outback, 2015 Subaru BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So hear me out. I really, really, really want a Bronco. BUT, a combination of things is pushing me away:
1) I am a late reservation holder already, so with the latest news from Ford I am very disheartened about probably having to wait till calendar year 22 to get my manual Sasquatch badlands
2) I am frustrated that the only interior choices on the badlands are black
3) I am frustrated that Ford is not offering a green color (CG doesn't count)
4) Equipped the way I want, with all the goodies I want, the Badlands I have been planning to order will top $60K (I am a business owner and will be using this vehicle for marketing purposes/tax right off)

so...

1) I think I can get a Defender much, much sooner as they are already on the streets
2) The Defender has a strikingly similar interior design to the Bronco but with nicer materials and colors, I can get white headliner & seats
3) I can get a Defender in Green, WITH A WHITE ROOF AND WHITE STEEL WHEELS!
4) While certainly more expensive than a fully loaded Bronco Badlands, the Defender isn't nearly as expensive as you might think it'd be, especially when you think about all the aftermarket 'investments' I'd want to do to the Bronco; AND you can equip it with some pretty cool accessories from the factory that the Bronco does not offer (for example, a functioning snorkel, air ride suspension, integrated air compressor (Ford's is a separate ARB piece you have to mount yourself if you want it onboard), integrated ladder, a sliding glass panoramic roof that still functions under their roof rack, and on and on).

I realize that the combination of factory 35"s and a manual transmission can't be had on the Defender, but I don't really 'need' 35's, and I'd be willing to sacrifice the Manny tranny to get my off-roader no later than summer and possibly in the spring. Also aesthetically I think the Bronco looks better, but the new Defender design has really grown on me and I don't think its a bad looking vehicle at all.

Am I crazy? Do I need to be talked from the edge? or does the Defender push your buttons too? Do these pictures rustle your feathers as they do mine? Anybody have LR horror stories to share and scare me away from the Land Rover? (also I would probably go the 4 door 110 route vs the two door 90 route but couldn't find cool action shots of a white roofed white wheeled green 110 playing in the countryside)

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. 901ba4a1cbe0c8a601e293e5613159e0

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. 2020-Land-Rover-Defender-90-off-road-wading-1000x600

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. 100919-New-land-Rover-Defender7-c-Land-Rover

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. LR_DEF_20MY_90_26.02.2020_22

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. Land-Rover-Defender-3-of-5

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. land-rover-defender-110_01
Sponsored