First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am looking at getting a used Black Diamond with factory Sasquatch package, but I know that there have been some steering rack/tie rod issues with Broncos in the past, and that Ford is upgrading the suspension on '24s with Sasquatch packages. What does a new model '24 w/ Sasquatch get me over this older '22? Are there some upgrades I can throw on the '22 to get it to '24 spec as far as the steering system is concerned? Is the older '22 a Hoss 2.0, and the newer Sasquatches now 3.0?

Thanks for the clarification. Right now my decision is whether or not to go with a Sasquatched Black Diamond '22 for about 45K or get a new Sasquatched Badlands '24 for about 60k. I really don't want to be breaking parts out on the trail because I plan to do some solid wheeling with this rig.
Sponsored

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ram 2500 Laramie blackout cummins
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 24 Sasquatchs have the 3.0 steering rack the badlands either way has the 3.0 rack the wild tracks have full 3.0 suspension and rack

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• 2021-2022: Standard steering rack on all trims
  • 2022.5: Improved severe duty steering rack optional as part of HOSS 3.0 package on Wildtrak.
  • 2023: Improved severe duty steering rack standard on Wildtrak
  • 2024: Improved severe duty steering rack standard on Badlands, Wildtrak, Heritage, Everglades, and all trims when equipped with the Sasquatch package.
The suspension system (HOSS 1.0, 2.0, etc.) is completely separate from the steering rack. But because of the improved steering rack was included as part of the HOSS 3.0 package for Wildtrak in late 2022… a lot of people just call it the “HOSS 3.0 steering rack”. Unfortunately causes a lot of confusion, but in reality, the suspension is unchanged between 2023 and 2024.

By the way… realistically the standard steering rack is fine for 95% of people out there. It only really becomes an issue if you are lifting your Bronco, installing tires larger than 35s, or are really beating it on the rocks.

Last edited:

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Right now my decision is whether or not to go with a Sasquatched Black Diamond '22 for about 45K or get a new Sasquatched Badlands '24 for about 60k.
The $5200 for the BL's Sas package doesn't get you much, mostly 1/2" of lift, slightly better gearing (auto), and $600-700 worth of wheels/tires (when comparing them to take-off sets). Hoss 3.0 technically includes the Fox shocks on the Wildtrak.

OP
OP

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The $5200 for the BL's Sas package doesn't get you much, mostly 1/2" of lift, slightly better gearing (auto), and $600-700 worth of wheels/tires (when comparing them to take-off sets). Hoss 3.0 technically includes the Fox shocks on the Wildtrak.
That was going to be my next question...since you answered it here is one more:

What does the SAS Badlands package get you vs. SAS Black Diamond, other than the electronic sway bar disconnect and the cool badge? I priced out both options with the 221A/331A Standard Package, 2.7L, Auto, Tow, and the total was $58k vs $62K. For $4k extra it must come with some other goodies, right?

Many thanks for the responses so far. If I go used I'll also keep an eye out for a Wildtrak '22. How can I tell it has Hoss 3.0 from basic dealer photos, just zoom in and try to find the bad ass Fox shocks?

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
That was going to be my next question...since you answered it here is one more:

What does the SAS Badlands package get you vs. SAS Black Diamond, other than the electronic sway bar disconnect and the cool badge? I priced out both options with the 221A/331A Standard Package, 2.7L, Auto, Tow, and the total was $58k vs $62K. For $4k extra it must come with some other goodies, right?

Many thanks for the responses so far. If I go used I'll also keep an eye out for a Wildtrak '22. How can I tell it has Hoss 3.0 from basic dealer photos, just zoom in and try to find the bad ass Fox shocks?
On the MY22.5 Wildtrak it will be noted on the window sticker and on the badge is slightly different, also it will have Fox shocks.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If I go used I'll also keep an eye out for a Wildtrak '22. How can I tell it has Hoss 3.0 from basic dealer photos, just zoom in and try to find the bad ass Fox shocks?
Hoss 2.0
Ford Bronco Confusion over model years and steering/suspension setup - Hoss 2.0/3.0 1710985294056-k

Hoss 3.0

Ford Bronco Confusion over model years and steering/suspension setup - Hoss 2.0/3.0 1710985329272-ni

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
You get an extra tow point on the rear of the Badlands, because of all the failing auto-disconnects.

OP
OP

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You get an extra tow point on the rear of the Badlands, because of all the failing auto-disconnects.
Haha. Yeah that doesn't surprise me. Jeep made an auto-disconnect and it also had issues. That's why I was actually leaning towards the Black Diamond trim. I also want the standard tech package, e.g. minimal tech, because of issues like the relay attacks with the "intelligent access" key fob.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Haha. Yeah that doesn't surprise me. Jeep made an auto-disconnect and it also had issues. That's why I was actually leaning towards the Black Diamond trim. I also want the standard tech package, e.g. minimal tech, because of issues like the relay attacks with the "intelligent access" key fob.
All joking aside; besides the color of the trim and disco, I believe you get the $800 LED taillights (I think the standard looks better), and the ability to pay for the high and Lux package. The jumping trims for the ability to pay for another option is standard practice, the Base was basicily a Big Bend without window tint, if you want the $1600 mid-package, you needed to pay $5000 for the tint and a couple other trinkets.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ok so for say a 2023 Black Diamond with a Sasquatch package, am I correct in assuming it came with the weaker "standard duty" steering rack/tie rods/etc.? Am I also correct in understanding that the upgrade to severe duty steering would be cost prohibitive, and instead I should just find one with that kit already installed?

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ok so for say a 2023 Black Diamond with a Sasquatch package, am I correct in assuming it came with the weaker "standard duty" steering rack/tie rods/etc.? Am I also correct in understanding that the upgrade to severe duty steering would be cost prohibitive, and instead I should just find one with that kit already installed?
Yes the 23 BD didn't come with the undated rack, as far as the pricing, here's the link:
BRONCO SEVERE DUTY STEERING UPGRADE KIT now available from Ford Performance Parts! | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think the BD comes with full plates. It will be easier on the BD to replace the sway bar with the AntiRocks, if you plan on rock crawling. And it's likely the e-disco will fail anyways at some point.

It's debatable if you need the HD rack; that all depends on how you're going to use your Bronco. I also don't know what cost prohibitive means; swapping the HD rack with install cost is perhaps around $2k. But again, that's only if you actually plan to use it where the tie rods might fail (rock crawling, lots of binding, lifts > 2").

It's my opinion carrying extra tie rods w/repair kit is better than a brace on the non-HD rack, as well.

OP
OP

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't think the BD comes with full plates. It will be easier on the BD to replace the sway bar with the AntiRocks, if you plan on rock crawling. And it's likely the e-disco will fail anyways at some point.

It's debatable if you need the HD rack; that all depends on how you're going to use your Bronco. I also don't know what cost prohibitive means; swapping the HD rack with install cost is perhaps around $2k. But again, that's only if you actually plan to use it where the tie rods might fail (rock crawling, lots of binding, lifts > 2").

It's my opinion carrying extra tie rods w/repair kit is better than a brace on the non-HD rack, as well.
Great advice. I like the idea of a pin I agree on carrying the tie rods as well, that is what I do on my truck when going on rougher trails.

I do plan on rock crawling this Bronco, in fact I'm buying it so my truck can do light duty offroading/camping and the Bronco for the more challenging stuff.

Has there been many instances of failure of the electronic disconnecting sway bar, like with Jeep?

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has there been many instances of failure of the electronic disconnecting sway bar, like with Jeep?
Yes. I've been under the impression for a year that there might be a recall.
Sponsored