Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Since I am big on sharing my own problems I need to come clean. I have some excess play in the steering from wheeling this weekend. Initially it sounded like a loose strut/metal on metal when turning the steering wheel and driving. This went on for a hour? Had noticeable visual play on the drives side. This was mid trail and decided to keep going! I mean it was same distance back as forward so why not?

At lunch I pulled the boot off to inspect and saw some bushing material on the steering(drivers side) cleaned it up and it was driving perfectly fine. Driving home it started to loosen up again on the curvy roads so I decided to pull it apart.

So Sunday I pull it apart, inspected everything found a loose lower control arm bolt. Thought I was golden, drove around the block no issues. I checked the steering rack bushing and tie rod. Put a pry bar on everything to see if I could get some play and I was satisfied.

Today it's back, feels like a bad tie rod/missing drivers side steering bushing. Going to swap out my ford performance hoss 3.0 tie rod next. I am thinking I killed the inner bushing, the steering is acting very similar to the last inner bushing failure I experienced. Very hard to troubleshoot as the steering feels tight in the driveway and no noticeable disconnect in steering input to wheel movement.

Not really in depth pictures as this was mostly me poking around looking for issues.
PXL_20230917_202350726.jpg
Sponsored

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bummer. Here is a pic of some destroyed racks. My local 4x4 also mentioned one guy destroyed the internals of his 3.0 rack wheeling. No case splitting occurred like what’s in the picture.

Surprised how much plastic is inside the steering rack. Not sure a 74 weld rack do any good? When the internals are subpar materials.

IMG_3859.jpeg

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bummer. Here is a pic of some destroyed racks. My local 4x4 also mentioned one guy destroyed the internals of his 3.0 rack wheeling. No case splitting occurred like what’s in the picture.

Surprised how much plastic is inside the steering rack. Not sure a 74 weld rack do any good? When the internals are subpar materials.

IMG_3859.jpeg
74Weld stage 2 rack with icon tie rods did just fine in the bronco ahead of me. I am just surprised that I am working on my steering again after 5k miles.

Well Ford wants to much money for a inner tie rod. Ordered a set of Icon tie rods for the time being. Really would have liked to stay with the Ford performance hoss 3.0 ones.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow only 5K :(

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow only 5K :(
I am half way there with my Hoss 3.0 and Stage 1 74weld parts. I tend to learn the hard way and always pay twice lol.

Trying to decide if I swap in my spare tie rod(factory) or wait for my Icons to show up. I am interested to see if a JKS sleeved tie rod can survive.

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am half way there with my Hoss 3.0 and Stage 1 74weld parts. I tend to learn the hard way and always pay twice lol.

Trying to decide if I swap in my spare tie rod(factory) or wait for my Icons to show up. I am interested to see if a JKS sleeved tie rod can survive.
I should have typed miles. It was so nice you're doing it twice.
To have it fail in 5K miles would have me spending the 74Weld money. BB already got my money for the Stage 3, but if that ever fails, 74Weld will have another customer, though it might take a bit to scape up the budget :unsure:.
I'm a believer in doing it right not again 🤠

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My truck is on the same schedule. More reason I'll be looking at the 74Weld Stage 3 if I ever kill my rack after the upgrades. ;)

Last edited:

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Well this is bursting my bubble… need to save the $5k for stage 3

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh it's 5k miles of abuse, like drive to the trail, wheel and park it in the garage. I got 2k miles out of the stock rack so I am doing pretty good!
What difficulty of trails are you putting the Bronco through? What tires / lift do you have?

So far I don’t think we’ve seen too many reports of failure with stock rigs. But maybe that’s due to lack of stressful use?

Sponsored

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What difficulty of trails are you putting the Bronco through? What tires / lift do you have?

So far I don’t think we’ve seen too many reports of failure with stock rigs. But maybe that’s due to lack of stressful use?
I can tell you he is getting full use out of his Bronco. Not beating it up, just tackling some of the best granite rock trails the Sierra Nevadas have to offer.
Ford Bronco Tweaked my Hoss 3.0 steering setup 029703BE-B07F-4B72-94FB-A95099290371

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

What about the bushing do you think is failing?

74 weld advertises that they use a softer plastic than the competition. Do you think that's playing a role here?

I was planning to go with their stage 1 kit for my 2.0 rack (which is currently out of stock), but may end up getting the BB passenger side housing if it looks like the 74 weld setup is the issue. Rocking the BB bushing and icon tie rods with 2" of lift and 37s. Trying to be patient until more solutions hit the market. Hoping to avoid a rack failure until then.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Personally I've been waiting to see how long it would take for @Snacktime to wear out the Hoss setup...now we know :)

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The feel of my 3.0 rack has definitely changed over time. At first it was fairly firm. Now it requires very little input to steer, even at slow speeds. I've wheeled it several times and makes me a little nervous now with how little feedback it has as compared to new.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Personally I've been waiting to see how long it would take for @Snacktime to wear out the Hoss setup...now we know :)
I think this may be more of a HOSS 3.0 tie rod limit, I am just being clear about the symptoms. I will straight up say it feels like I damaged the steering rack. This bothers me to say as I feel like people think the rack is damaged but I am 100% positive this is going to be fixed by a new bushing or tie rod. The steering has zero play in the system is like something is deforming so the engagement is still fine.

@cgv I don't think the bushing is dead, everything looks perfect from the outside. I pulled up some older pictures while looking at the bushing, the bronze looks to be the same distance from the snap ring. No cracks or chips as bronze is a softer metal.
Ford Bronco Tweaked my Hoss 3.0 steering setup 1695223053621

Ford Bronco Tweaked my Hoss 3.0 steering setup 1695223155404

Nothing I would consider hardcore, more of the standard red trail that should be doable on 35" to 37" tires. I have build thread with my constantly changing lift combination of 4" and 37s with no front locker currently.

The feel of my 3.0 rack has definitely changed over time. At first it was fairly firm. Now it requires very little input to steer, even at slow speeds. I've wheeled it several times and makes me a little nervous now with how little feedback it has as compared to new.
I never had any real seat of the pants difference in feel after installing my HOSS 3.0. I think you just got the benefit of stiff new steering rack!
Sponsored