Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I called the nearest dealer to my house today because my windshield wipers shut off after about 30 seconds even at the highest speed and during a rain storm. The dealer told me they will only service Broncos bought by them. IS THAT LEGAL!?!? The dealer I bought it from is an hour from my house.

Ridiculous.
Sponsored

stonerdoom

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I called the nearest dealer to my house today because my windshield wipers shut off after about 30 seconds even at the highest speed and during a rain storm. The dealer told me they will only service Broncos bought by them. IS THAT LEGAL!?!? The dealer I bought it from is an hour from my house.

Ridiculous.
Actually surprised that we don't get more of these stories. I am anticipating the same cold shoulder when I bring my Granger baby back to Northern IL where I think more than a few dealers are on the FBI most wanted list. Total crooks. Will be watching this thread.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ridiculous.
Wow. Even if they change their mind I would not take it there and would be looking for a different service department.

@flip or @Alpha1_Silverback any advice?

aaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bonnell Ford?

Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With that attitude I wouldn't want to go back to them even if they changed their mind. They might find "more problems".

aaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They are bunch of assholes. So is Sentry Ford’s service department.

Try McGovern Ford of Lowell. I have good experience with their service department. I did not buy from them and got some window drop issue fixed under warranty.

Last edited:

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Idiots.
Dealers make more money from service than sales anyway... why would you turn away money?

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Idiots.
Dealers make more money from service than sales anyway... why would you turn away money?
Because warranty pays 1/3 to 1/2 less than the same retail job? If you're a commissioned technician and Motors pay 1.0 and Ford pays .5, you just took a pay cut. No dealer or technician can survive doing warranty repairs and oil changes, period.

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Because warranty pays 1/3 to 1/2 less than the same retail job? If you're a commissioned technician and Motors pay 1.0 and Ford pays .5, you just took a pay cut. No dealer or technician can survive doing warranty repairs and oil changes, period.
Oh, yeah, I'm well aware of that aspect. I was a flat rate tech for many years.
In the end, for the dealer, it all averages out. The dealer just has to adjust wages for the tech to make it do the same... that will never happen. Precisely why I am no longer a tech.

In the end... some money is better than no money.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
yup any business has the right to refuse service for any reason.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh, yeah, I'm well aware of that aspect. I was a flat rate tech for many years.
In the end, for the dealer, it all averages out. The dealer just has to adjust wages for the tech to make it do the same... that will never happen. Precisely why I am no longer a tech.

In the end... some money is better than no money.
I agree incremental service business is a good idea when you have the capacity to. As more broncos are delivered we will see more of these threads. The truth is, dealers are going to prioritize customers that purchase from them or have been long time service customers before "visiting owners". It's comes down to a matter of resources and trying to retain existing customers already doing business with the dealer. Techs are bailing out of this industry like a clown car on fire because of the cuts to warranty rates, vehicle complexity, constant tool expenses and a list of other stuff. Some of the pay portion of this is on the dealer, a majority is Ford's fault. They're trying to fix some of these issues but it's probably too late for a lot of dealers and techs.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Legal.

Kind of like the latest trend for tire shops. Mounting and balancing a tire you bought from them is one price (say $30), but if they didn’t sell you the tire they’ll charge $80 for the same job.

Wonder how long before we see this sort of thing at dealerships. A “warranty surcharge”. Something like, “we only do free warranty work for vehicles we sold. other vehicles pay a surcharge to have warranty work performed”

If this becomes common (either a surcharge or a flat out refusal like you got) - that will pretty much kill the Ford extended warranty market. Who wants a warranty that’s only valid at the place you bought it? And could start to effect new car sales. Who wants to buy a Ford if it can only be warrantied at the place you bought it?

If Ford was smart - they’d be keeping an eye on these shenanigans and thinking about updating their contracts with dealerships to forbid it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.