First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ordered my Outer Banks last month with an estimated build date of 4/30/24. Original order was with 2.3l engine but now having second thoughts for the 2.7 engine. I ordered the Sasquatch package and hard top as well, which I definitely want. Called the dealer today 4/8, they can't change my order and here are my options:
1. Stick with what I have, less peppier engine but should receive in 2 months
2. Get the 2.7 engine but new order starts and won't get for another 4 months (miss the summer when I need it for my family)
3. Dealer does have an Outer Banks in stock with the 2.7 engine, my color, sasquatch package but only has the soft top. I can pick up car now but hard top will be like $5K more down the load with no real estimate on delivery.

I'm sure I'm overthinking this but is the 2.3l engine enough? Any help would be appreciated. This is a gift for my wife who has another SUV. So this is just an extra car for fun, daily driver not real off roading
Sponsored

Kayphix

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the 2.3L and questioned my purchase when I picked it up in December 2022. I did get the Ford Performance Tune which bumps you up to 325hp (with premium gas).

Overall, it's plenty for me. I figured it wasn't meant to be a speed demon but I guess it also depends if you are a lead-foot. Here in Denver, it's plenty quick for going up I-70, merging into traffic, etc.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ordered my Outer Banks last month with an estimated build date of 4/30/24. Original order was with 2.3l engine but now having second thoughts for the 2.7 engine. I ordered the Sasquatch package and hard top as well, which I definitely want. Called the dealer today 4/8, they can't change my order and here are my options:
2. Get the 2.7 engine but new order starts and won't get for another 4 months (miss the summer when I need it for my family)
3. Dealer does have an Outer Banks in stock with the 2.7 engine, my color, sasquatch package but only has the soft top. I can pick up car now but hard top will be like $5K more down the load with no real estimate on delivery.

I'm sure I'm overthinking this but is the 2.3l engine enough? Any help would be appreciated. This is a gift for my wife who has another SUV. So this is just an extra car for fun, daily driver not real off roading
I would get the 2.7l and add the Ford Tune and you won't be disappointed. I would also wait for the hardtop or even go dual. I have soft and I wish I had a hard top as well but 5k is keeping me from ordering a top like Turn Offroads solution.

TXBronco1313

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

My previous Bronco was a 2.7 and this one is a 2.3. I was SHOCKED how powerful the 2.3 is and with all honesty, I barely noticed any difference. For me, my Bronco is a daily driver, I don't tow anything, and the most off roading I do is cruise down on the beach that's about it. with that being said, If you're going to use your Bronco for daily driving then the 2.3 will be more than enough. On the other hand, If you plan to tow or go hard core off roading then the 2.7 might be a better option. The 2.3 has been around for a while and is known to be more reliable than the 2.7 (not hating on any 2.7 owner yall are awesome) but seems like Broncos with 2.3s tend to have less issues than the 2.7 down the road such as cam phasers giving up and whatnot

Last edited:

Kevin Scarbel

Everglades
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Everglades 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Everglades

I say you'll be thrilled with the 2.3's power and stunned by the fuel economy.
Both my SAS Broncos have the 2.3.

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Squatched 2DR with the 2.3L and I'm happy with it. Both engines are good. I like driving my Bronco a lot so I'd be inclined to go with the one that gets it to me soonest.

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I say you'll be thrilled with the 2.3's power and stunned by the fuel economy.
Both my SAS Broncos have the 2.3.
Stunned in a good or bad way ; )

I've got the 2.3, plenty of power for me plus it's cheaper.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The squatch 4.70 gearing paired w/ the 2.3 is a great match IMO. Plenty of get up & go for daily driving.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I got my 2.3 for reasons, the (expected) slightly better MPG and I simply do not like plastic pans. I like the 2.3, but just like the 2.7 it sounds silly.

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2.3 has plenty of power... I was very pleasantly surprised with mine, even with the Sasquatch package.

Also, If you plan on having to do any water fording, the 2.3 is a better choice.

Ford Bronco Debating on 2.3 vs 2.7 engine? image001(1)

2.7 on the left, 2.3 on the right.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Unpopular opinion grounded in engineering:

If you are not doing any real off-roading: Skip sasquatch. Go with the 2.3. You are buying thousands of dollars of off-roading equipment you don't need and will likely never use. Order the locking rear differential to get 4.27 gears. Ditch the stock tires and put a set of 285/70 17's on it (33"). Maybe even throw a 1" lift (e.g., Bilstein 5100's) and you will be at sasquatch ride height. You will save thousands, still have awesome off-road potential, and have better automotive performance (acceleration, braking and mileage.)

You are losing the advanced transfer case but run winter tires in the winter and you won't miss it.

Jruta

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A51 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve (only) got a 2dr, base non-sas but was blown away at how the 2.3 moves this thing! Zero regrets here if that helps (seems others with heavier Broncs are equally impressed)

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 4D Badlands 2.3 sas. If you told me I was driving a 6 cylinder I would've believed you. Plenty of power and zip and don't regret the engine size at all. Sure I can't tell people I have the big engine but I'm fine with that. I'm now proudly telling people it's the 2.3 cause it's aweome.

Great things said about the 2.3 Ford Performance tune and if you don't want to spend that much cash check out a Pedal Commander will make you feel like you're driving a faster Bronco even though you aren't.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Unpopular opinion grounded in engineering:

If you are not doing any real off-roading: Skip sasquatch. Go with the 2.3. You are buying thousands of dollars of off-roading equipment you don't need and will likely never use. Order the locking rear differential to get 4.27 gears. Ditch the stock tires and put a set of 285/70 17's on it (33"). Maybe even throw a 1" lift (e.g., Bilstein 5100's) and you will be at sasquatch ride height. You will save thousands, still have awesome off-road potential, and have better automotive performance (acceleration, braking and mileage.)

You are losing the advanced transfer case but run winter tires in the winter and you won't miss it.
This.

I do go "off-road" almost every weekend, but for me it is all Forest Service Roads, gravel roads, dirt roads. Zero rock crawling, or any nasty trails. Occasionally there will be a big wash out or something, but even a stock base Bronco is more capable than you think.

If you are not a serious off-roader, skip Sasquatch.

If you are a serious off-roader, Sasquatch is a no-brainer, and you'd never question the choice.

But back to your question, 2.7l all day. The power is amazing, and they get the same MPG in the real world.
Sponsored