Eddie_bower

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey all Just curious if anyone has run into the same issue I am seeing right now.

I installed the DD reverse kit with the ss3 pro stage series lights. The @Diode Dynamics kit from @LethalPerformance said it was 21-22 broncos. I sent a message to DD support.

The red lights work perfectly, but when I put it in reverse it goes white and then off. Then the white lights will not engage again unless I cycle the power.

If I have only one of the lights connected, the white lights stay on when in reverse.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? Is it too much power with both of the lights on?
Ford Bronco Diode dynamics reverse kit install- running into trouble IMG_2146

edit: solved problem by switching from the base incandescent bulbs to alla reverse led bulbs, now all is well!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Weird. I installed my kit a couple weeks ago with no issue like this. My kit was for the smaller SS2 lights though. My first thought was maybe a wire is pinched or something.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do both lights work correctly individually? If so, it may be in Y connector to the lights.

swampdawg

Wildtrak
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I installed mine over the weekend. The DT connectors can be tough to push in all the way. I'd start with ensuring the connectors were tight and then work back from there. Did you push the red tab down behind the taillights? Not sure if that's a gotta-have item, but maybe. I don't recall a relay or an independent ground. Does your taillight act up too?

Sponsored

Diode Dynamics

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John C.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hey all Just curious if anyone has run into the same issue I am seeing right now.

I installed the DD reverse kit with the ss3 pro stage series lights. The @Diode Dynamics kit from @LethalPerformance said it was 21-22 broncos. I sent a message to DD support.

The red lights work perfectly, but when I put it in reverse it goes white and then off. Then the white lights will not engage again unless I cycle the power.

If I have only one of the lights connected, the white lights stay on when in reverse.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? Is it too much power with both of the lights on?
Ford Bronco Diode dynamics reverse kit install- running into trouble IMG_2146
Good morning!

I haven't personally seen any other users experience this issue.

However, our customer service team will be more than happy to assist you and find a quick solution to get this kit functioning properly for you!

Hours: Monday-Friday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 314-205-3033

OP
OP
Eddie_bower

Eddie_bower

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Update:
I installed wiring to aux switches and all hardware working - lights turn on and stay in with the auxiliary switch.

when I have the vehicle off and I put in reverse(I have manual)the lights stay on.

if the vehicle is running and I put it in reverse, the lights come on for a second and then shut off.

Makes me think it’s computer Or something shutting them off?

anyone else running 2x SS3 pods on reverse circuit on a 2023?

(I’m crowdsourcing here, also sent a message over to support!)

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Update:
I installed wiring to aux switches and all hardware working - lights turn on and stay in with the auxiliary switch.

when I have the vehicle off and I put in reverse(I have manual)the lights stay on.

if the vehicle is running and I put it in reverse, the lights come on for a second and then shut off.

Makes me think it’s computer Or something shutting them off?

anyone else running 2x SS3 pods on reverse circuit on a 2023?

(I’m crowdsourcing here, also sent a message over to support!)

So with the vehicle running, do the tail light reverse lights stay lit or do they go off as well? Would make no sense that one would stay on and the other turn off as they are on the same circuit.

Are the SS3 pros pulling too much power? I have SS2s on mine. That's what, 6 amps?

How about the bulbs in your tail lights? Have you replaced them with bulbs pulling more amps? I have mine replaced with LEDs that i assume use less power than the stock bulbs.

You could pull a tail light bulb and see if it works while on. If so, then it probably is the total amp draw shutting it down somehow.

I'm thinking it's just too much power draw if you still have the stock incandescent tail light bulb when the power is on and switching those bulbs to brighter LEDs that have a lower power draw may be your solution.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eddie_bower

Eddie_bower

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So with the vehicle running, do the tail light reverse lights stay lit or do they go off as well? Would make no sense that one would stay on and the other turn off as they are on the same circuit.

Are the SS3 pros pulling too much power? I have SS2s on mine. That's what, 6 amps?

How about the bulbs in your tail lights? Have you replaced them with bulbs pulling more amps? I have mine replaced with LEDs that i assume use less power than the stock bulbs.

You could pull a tail light bulb and see if it works while on. If so, then it probably is the total amp draw shutting it down somehow.

I'm thinking it's just too much power draw if you still have the stock incandescent tail light bulb when the power is on and switching those bulbs to brighter LEDs that have a lower power draw may be your solution.
The reverse lights are stock, only the ss3 pros added. The reverse lights go out with the ss3 pros

to be clear, when only one ss3 is hooked up it works fine- but all go out when both are hooked up.

Seems odd it works while the vehicle is powered off though

I was thinking about trying another set of lights, eventually

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The reverse lights are stock, only the ss3 pros added. The reverse lights go out with the ss3 pros

to be clear, when only one ss3 is hooked up it works fine- but all go out when both are hooked up.

Seems odd it works while the vehicle is powered off though

Powered off, the lights are dimmer and not getting the full flow, so once it's on, it would be at the full 12V load. I think it's just too much with the stock incandescent bulbs. You should really switch them out anyway for more lighting, but they should also have a lower power draw and I think fix your problem.
Just spitballing though.

I'm using the Alla WT21W bulb that is brighter than stock but has a lower power usage than stock. Some of the WT21W LED bulbs use quite a bit more power than the Alla.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Eddie_bower

Eddie_bower

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Powered off, the lights are dimmer and not getting the full flow, so once it's on, it would be at the full 12V load. I think it's just too much with the stock incandescent bulbs. You should really switch them out anyway for more lighting, but they should also have a lower power draw and I think fix your problem.
Just spitballing though.

I'm using the Alla WT21W bulb that is brighter than stock but has a lower power usage than stock. Some of the WT21W LED bulbs use quite a bit more power than the Alla.
That would be an easy fix I can possibly try, ill prolly look for the lower powered ones since my light is being provided by the pods, once working!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That would be an easy fix I can possibly try, ill prolly look for the lower powered ones since my light is being provided by the pods, once working!
The Alla brand are only 0.6 amps per bulb, but definitely brighter than stock. Oracle makes a great replacement bulb, but are rated at 2 amps each and may be too much if total load on the circuit is your problem.

OP
OP
Eddie_bower

Eddie_bower

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Alla brand are only 0.6 amps per bulb, but definitely brighter than stock. Oracle makes a great replacement bulb, but are rated at 2 amps each and may be too much if total load on the circuit is your problem.
got a set of the Alla led reverse bulbs-problem solved!

if anyone with Base or other package that has incandescent reverse lights- replace them if needed!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

got a set of the Alla led reverse bulbs-problem solved!

if anyone with Base or other package that has halogen reverse lights- replace them if needed!

Great. You might let the DD engineers know that the total amp draw with the SS3 pros and halogen lights appears to be too much and the fix so they can help anyone else who contacts them with the same problem.
@Diode Dynamics

OP
OP
Eddie_bower

Eddie_bower

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great. You might let the DD engineers know that the total amp draw with the SS3 pros and halogen lights appears to be too much and the fix so they can help anyone else who contacts them with the same problem.
@Diode Dynamics
Yep, they were already in touch with their engineering team so I will make sure to update my ticket with them so they are aware! Thank you for all of the help troubleshooting and suggesting the Allas (but my god, changing tail light bulbs is a ridiculous process lol)

They had tested on several 23s, but I’m guessing not a base model!
Sponsored