Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm so confused. The left photo is an actual 315/70 Goodyear, the middle photo is a CGI 315/70 Goodyear and the Right is a 285/70 BF Goodrich. Am I missing something?
I just wanna paint the ring to look like the one on the right
Instead of silver,
It’s just an example
I’m not good at explaining things simply I guess!
I like the look of the computer drawing so I’m going to try and match that in real life!
Sponsored

Last edited:

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just wanna paint the ring to look like the one on the right
Instead of silver,
It’s just an example
I’m not good at explaining things simply I guess!
I like the look of the computer drawing so I’m going to try and match that in real life!
So you want to paint it carbonized grey? What does that have to do with tire width?

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

-Paint SAS Ring Gray
-Change tires to Nitto Ridge grapplers to look like GGI PIC
-Get rid of wrangler territorys
Even though they are technically the same size as the Nitto ridge grappler‘s (315-70) in reality they are not the same size visually. The aspect/ratio same
But the Tread is obviously wider on the Nittos which in turn make it blocky like the CGI picture which I like visually better!
I don’t know how else to explain it.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

-Paint SAS Ring Gray
-Change tires to Nitto Ridge grapplers to look like GGI PIC
-Get rid of wrangler territorys
Even though they are technically the same size as the Nitto ridge grappler‘s (315-70) in reality they are not the same size visually. The aspect/ratio same
But the Tread is obviously wider on the Nittos which in turn make it blocky like the CGI picture which I like visually better!
I don’t know how else to explain it.
lousy drawing but visual
Ford Bronco DIY How-To: Painting Beadlock Wheel Beauty Ring From Silver to Black (on Badlands Sasquatch) C21BDC83-7176-4D4B-9128-2ACF0881BFB1

Seatmandan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '11 Ford Edge, '10 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@luptanpitman thanks for this post.
Pardon my ignorance but I have a few questions:

- how is the paint holding up? Would you mind sharing a close up picture of how it looks as of today?
- assuming no scratch can I expect the paint to last a couple years or should I plan on re-painting a couple times a year? (Taking into account dirt snow and rain…)
- if money is no object, would you recommend I powder coat instead or not?
- why scratch the ring before painting? How long and how much pressure do you apply to scratch?

Thank you.
I thought about painting, but after seeing the Wildtrak in person with mirror black powder coat that matched the rims, it was the only way for me. I got lucky, and found a local restoration shop that would do it for $75.00 for all 5. since I’m not a “hard core off-roader” I’m not worried about abuse. just my 2 cents.

ALSO: People keep saying to just keep re-painting them over time, and I don’t think the ring torx bolts can hold up to be removed and reinstalled over and over- they came from Ford with threadlok on them, and should be reinstalled each time with it.

CB74A99D-0FC5-44E5-9E0D-9AE955AF8B72.jpeg

72075407-2620-459C-A49C-64DBF053ED3D.jpeg

DB54D0FC-1AE9-4529-9AA1-4C3AA7909309.jpeg

Sponsored

khudgi

Wildtrak
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 XLT 4x4 CC / 2023 F350 CC LAR 4x4 PS 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Has anyone ever seen the use of a flex seal type spray on wheels for different colors? There are other type paints other than flex seal in color. Spray on and it gives the wheel a rubberized effect. Nice thing about it is if it gets scrapped, you can peel it off and redo it. Or if you want to just change colors.
Its called Plasti Dip, comes in aerosol and many colors. Have used it on many things including rims wears pretty well and very easy to touch up or remove back to stock. That's what I am going to use on mine when it comes in.

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I thought about painting, but after seeing the Wildtrak in person with mirror black powder coat that matched the rims, it was the only way for me. I got lucky, and found a local restoration shop that would do it for $75.00 for all 5. since I’m not a “hard core off-roader” I’m not worried about abuse. just my 2 cents.

ALSO: People keep saying to just keep re-painting them over time, and I don’t think the ring torx bolts can hold up to be removed and reinstalled over and over- they came from Ford with threadlok on them, and should be reinstalled each time with it.

Ford Bronco DIY How-To: Painting Beadlock Wheel Beauty Ring From Silver to Black (on Badlands Sasquatch) DB54D0FC-1AE9-4529-9AA1-4C3AA7909309

Ford Bronco DIY How-To: Painting Beadlock Wheel Beauty Ring From Silver to Black (on Badlands Sasquatch) DB54D0FC-1AE9-4529-9AA1-4C3AA7909309

Do you know if the shop had to sandblast before powder coating?

Seatmandan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '11 Ford Edge, '10 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Do you know if the shop had to sandblast before powder coating?
They do not sand blast- they rough up the surface with a DA sander first

ejaffe

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well done and thanks for your instructions. I like the black better. With the OBX model and the gloss grill, I think the black rings will work better on mine too. Of course, I was also thinking of painting the grill white. Wonder how white wheels would look! Wouldn't mind the Pope's.

Mad Martigan

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and 1 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone found black beadlock bolts?

Sponsored

drewski

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2012 Ford F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Trick is deck of playing cards stuck in the bead of each tire all the way around. Old trick, have seen it on shows. Takes a deck each wheel.
Good tip but index cards are cheaper.

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I always thought the black beauty rings on the Wildtrack and FE looked better than the silver that I was forced to buy with the Badlands Sasquatch package. I decided my first project would be to paint them black, despite having no experience with paint and not being particularly handy, because of the following:

* The only beauty rings I've found from Ford accessories were red
* If I really messed it up I could replace them or eventually be able to buy the manufacturer black ones from Ford direct.
* I think matching the trim ring with the wheel color has a more utility less refined look that I dig.
* To us Bronco6g nerds, I will be the only 2021 Badlands Sasquatch Area 51 with black bead lock trim rings for the time being - differences being black ring with a carbonized grey grill, badlands badge, black door handles and matching gloss black wheel color. The Wildtracks have the black grill and color match door handles as far as I can tell?

1. bought scotch brite srubber to scuff up the silver rims: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scrubbing-Pad-3-Pack-214C-CC/202511523

2. Behr black Paint + Primer

3. T45 Torx bit. (unbelievably despite having a variety of torx bit sizes in the Bronco toolkit it doesn't include this size): https://www.autozone.com/screwdrivers/driver-bit/p/duralast-3-8in-drive-t-45-torx-bit/864636_0_0

Here are the before and after. Super happy with the look.

AFTER:

Do you need to separate the Tire from the Rim to Color it?

OP
OP
luptanpitman

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know paint is a lot cheaper but for about $550, you can get powder coated Ford Performance parts. I got these and they are perfect. The powder coat should be much more durable.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-pe...gloss-black-set-bronco-2021-2022/p/M1021KBLB/
Finally! Thanks for sharing. The only reason I sprayed mine was because it was back in august and they were not available yet. This is by far the best option as you say.
Tho I will say the rattle can worked like a charm and looks the same as it does the day I did it.

ejaffe

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Finally! Thanks for sharing. The only reason I sprayed mine was because it was back in august and they were not available yet. This is by far the best option as you say.
Tho I will say the rattle can worked like a charm and looks the same as it does the day I did it.
That was the way I was going to go at first too and then I spoke to my dealer about getting some parts painted and he mentioned the powder coating. I guess I have a second set. Honestly I can probably sell them on Ebay and get what I paid for the black ones.
Sponsored