Sponsored

Do G.O.A.T modes make a difference to a skilled driver?

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, it was hilarious that dude claiming he could do the same thing with just the break and throttle as TTA...he can’t. The debate reminds me of when Toyota came out with Crawl Control....same thing, people claimed it was just marketing...unneeded if you were a “good driver”. Then Toyota invited high profile 4x4 writers/drivers to come try to get trucks they had gotten stuck out of different situations. They couldn’t. Then they turned on Crawl Control and the trucks pulled right out. Then they let them get the trucks stuck how. Toyota drivers switched and pulled them right out with CC on. Computer controlled can help....someone who think’s it’s like his wife’s traction control has zero idea what the benefits can be....
Is one of our modes similar to crawl control?
Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is one of our modes similar to crawl control?
I’m not sure...some had said that the vehicle will perform similarly with Trail Control on, but I don’t know that For sure.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A skilled driver can do almost all of the things. But there’s the issue. The driver has to do them, recognize when to do them and do them right. The computer in the truck is doing all of the things while the driver just has to focus on driving. This makes the whole rig/driver much more capable.

When traction control first came out in lower tiered vehicles, I felt I could react faster or anticipate when I needed to move. Processing speed has increased dramatically and the times where an average Joe can react faster are coming to an end.

The driver is giving up “control” of the system and that’s where most people have problems. They can’t control what the computer does so they have to trust it.

The best drivers learn how to get the computer to do what they want and anticipate.

Marketing, yes. They wouldn’t just call it “dial in the console that changes shift points, throttle response and monitors wheel speed and braking conditions”

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The are purely marketing. Basically goat modes are pairing typical driving modes (eco, normal, sport - which will adjust the throttle and shift points) and pairing them with 4x4 settings.

So instead of putting the bronco into "sport mode", and then pressing another button to put into to 4H. You can just turn on "Baja" mode. For rock crawling instead of hitting 3-4 buttons, you can put it into "rock crawling" mode.
So if I had a BL and want to manually get it into a "Sport" mode, how would I do that? This is the only dilemma I have with getting a BL <=> BD

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Could one simply disable traction control in Sport mode to achieve that? I know in the Raptors Sport mode you could do that. Not sure if they’re changing that for the Bronco.

I’ve driven the Raptor in Baja mode and just didn’t like the throttle at all, so I much preferred the Sport mode in 4H with traction off. Just gave me a more responsive and in-control experience.
Traction control can be turned off independent of the mode, but the mode can make adjustments to traction control beyond on/off.

And the modes also alter shift points.

Beyond that - and the obvious changes to 2H/4H, lockers, cameras, etc. - we don't know yet if there are other adjustments GOAT modes can make that cannot be made manually.

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Traction control can be turned off independent of the mode, but the mode can make adjustments to traction control beyond on/off.

And the modes also alter shift points.

Beyond that - and the obvious changes to 2H/4H, lockers, cameras, etc. - we don't know yet if there are other adjustments GOAT modes can make that cannot be made manually.
Yea and since I'm getting a manual, the shift points wouldn't matter. Ok BL it is!

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So if I had a BL and want to manually get it into a "Sport" mode, how would I do that? This is the only dilemma I have with getting a BL <=> BD
Quite a few comments around here on this - along with the "speculation table" of what each mode might do.
Bottom line is it doesn't sound like there is a simple method of simulating Sport mode on the Badlands right now. You want the shift points similar to Baja, but traction control closer to Normal (presumably).
We may be able to enable Sport mode via Forscan, but we won't know until people get their hands on their Bronco and can experiment.

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ahh, the completely made-up table created by a forum member rears it’s ugly head again...
What? I thought it came from Ford engineering...?

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What? I thought it came from Ford engineering...?
No, it was created as speculation as to how things would be based on looking at other Fords. It has been posted dozens of times as fact though. The chart showing which modes are on which trim is correct and good reference...the other, not so much.

Last edited:

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If done well they are useful to a skilled driver, without a doubt. If anything, for ease and speed of set-up. Some people will say it’s “all marketing”...but reality is that driving modes make a difference and are very usable.
Agreed. I am assuming they have similar impacts as the drive modes on my 2020 Explorer which has normal, eco, slippery, mud/sand, and sport modes on a similar dial. They make dramatic differences in how the car drives and responds, especially sport mode. In sport mode it dramatically changes shift points, throttle response, and the power balance to the four wheels. Eco mode also does something similar but to the other end of the spectrum to improve gas mileage, with very favorable results. Other than normal and the two mentioned above, I have used the other modes so cannot comment on them. I am thinking the Bronco does something similar but to a higher degree since it has more capability and drivetrain options than an Explorer. Time will tell for sure but I expect this to be very useful to quickly change the drive ability of the vehicle.

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed. I am assuming they have similar impacts as the drive modes on my 2020 Explorer which has normal, eco, slippery, mud/sand, and sport modes on a similar dial. They make dramatic differences in how the car drives and responds, especially sport mode. In sport mode it dramatically changes shift points, throttle response, and the power balance to the four wheels. Eco mode also does something similar but to the other end of the spectrum to improve gas mileage, with very favorable results. Other than normal and the two mentioned above, I have used the other modes so cannot comment on them. I am thinking the Bronco does something similar but to a higher degree since it has more capability and drivetrain options than an Explorer. Time will tell for sure but I expect this to be very useful to quickly change the drive ability of the vehicle.
Yea I wonder if Baja/Sport mode changes the RPM when the turbo spools up too.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd wager that will be somewhat similar to what Jeep offers. For example in my Grand Cherokee if I put it in snow mode it turns on the headlights, causes the transmission to short shift and the car won't go into first gear at a stop. In sand mode it turns off the traction control and significantly raises the shift points. It also has Mud and Rock modes.

Pure speculation on my part but I'd be surprised if it's much different than what's already offered out there by competitors.
Sponsored