First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It was my understanding that m190 has the CAD, and m210 does not. So all sasquatch/badlands/wildtrack do not have it. All of those would have 4A as well, however it was possible to add 4A to non sasquatch OBX tho, and I would assume CAD is deleted on that combo...but I am not sure. Maybe somebody w/that combo could check?
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks.
Seems like they all would have that in the quest for better fuel economy. But I hope my Bronco doesnā€™t have it. just one more thing to quit working at the worst possible time. I put warn manual locking hubs on my Excursion years ago because the auto locking hubs became unreliable.
Yes itā€™s done for fuel economy. Jeep has a similar setup on the Wrangler, and one of the common Wrangler upgrades is to delete the FAD.

The downside of permanently locked hubs without a FAD is it puts more wear and tear on the differential since the carrier is going to be spinning at all times, even if 4WD is not engaged. The obvious benefit is simplicity, which (in theory) increases reliability.

From our perspective all it really means is when you service the rear differential you also need to service the front, even if you donā€™t drive many miles off-road. (I suspect most people would do that anyway.)

Kind of surprised they put locking hubs on the Raptor. Butā€¦ I guess these days the vacuum-based IWEs are fairly reliable. (The electronic ones on the other handā€¦ never had good experience with those.)

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes itā€™s done for fuel economy. Jeep has a similar setup on the Wrangler, and one of the common Wrangler upgrades is to delete the FAD.

The downside of permanently locked hubs without a FAD is it puts more wear and tear on the differential since the carrier is going to be spinning at all times, even if 4WD is not engaged. The obvious benefit is simplicity, which (in theory) increases reliability.

From our perspective all it really means is when you service the rear differential you also need to service the front, even if you donā€™t drive many miles off-road. (I suspect most people would do that anyway.)

Kind of surprised they put locking hubs on the Raptor. Butā€¦ I guess these days the vacuum-based IWEs are fairly reliable. (The electronic ones on the other handā€¦ never had good experience with those.)
My ā€˜98 V8 AWD Explorer has over 300k miles on it and the front diff never had a problem other than a pinion seal under warranty. Now Iā€™m curious if it is a D35 or 44.

OP
OP
DemonGT

DemonGT

Heritage
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Heritage

From what i understand the new F150's have moved away from the vacuum hubs up front and gone to a electric motor style to engage the hubs.

Iv had issues with a few of my F150's with the hubs up front and was curious if the Broncos had issues or same type of set up.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From what i understand the new F150's have moved away from the vacuum hubs up front and gone to a electric motor style to engage the hubs.

Iv had issues with a few of my F150's with the hubs up front and was curious if the Broncos had issues or same type of set up.

I guess I should give it a shot before I knock it, but the salt belt destroys any elections that are in and around the hub.

Wonder if they did that on all F-150s or only a select few.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

This is true, but one thing we learned in the Jeep world is that if your Jeep came w/the FAD, then your front driveshaft wasn't balanced for highway speeds, and you would get a really irritating droning vibe at 65-75 mph. Mine was so bad it made my rearview mirror blurry! Seems like Ford might be doing something similar, considering the symptom of a failed FAD seems to be a high speed vibration

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ahā€¦ Maybe thatā€™s why AWD vehicles like my Explorer have those weird CV joints on the front driveshaft instead of regular U-joints.

I see a future in which manual locking hubs will be available because any auto locking mechanism will eventually become unreliable.

I wish there was a manual transfer case option because I flat tow behind my motorhome.

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ford parts bin the stupid F150 IWEs and put them on the braptor, then moved to electronic ones on the F150 lol. They are hot garbage still just like the cam phasers, I have not had issues with mine yet, but wouldnt surprise me.

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have the made any updates to the IWE systems in the last few years? I ask because i've noticed a lot of the 2011-2017 F150s with the IWE setups needing hubs replaced more often. For example, my buddy and I both bought 2016 F150s (5.0) around 4 years ago. His was a Lariat with the 4A system and 30k miles, mine was an XLT with the standard 4WD system and 150k miles. We've both put around 40k miles on since, and he's had to replace his hubs twice, not including one showing from the previous owner. Mine was showing one done at 100k miles from the previous owner and I haven't had any issues with it. I'm a little rougher on my vehicles than him, and he purchased a low mile vehicle because of the condition it was in.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DemonGT

DemonGT

Heritage
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Have the made any updates to the IWE systems in the last few years? I ask because i've noticed a lot of the 2011-2017 F150s with the IWE setups needing hubs replaced more often. For example, my buddy and I both bought 2016 F150s (5.0) around 4 years ago. His was a Lariat with the 4A system and 30k miles, mine was an XLT with the standard 4WD system and 150k miles. We've both put around 40k miles on since, and he's had to replace his hubs twice, not including one showing from the previous owner. Mine was showing one done at 100k miles from the previous owner and I haven't had any issues with it. I'm a little rougher on my vehicles than him, and he purchased a low mile vehicle because of the condition it was in.
yes, newest trucks use electronic hubs.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So sasquatch Broncos DO NOT HAVE FAD

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very interesting thread, I like this tech stuff. I have a Badlands with a manual so I guess I don't have the IWE's. I also have a F-150 that I just replaced the first IWE at about 200K miles. I don't know how reliable they are supposed to be. I don't do hardly any wheeling with the F-150, I save that for the Bronco. The F-150 is a 4X4 simply because a good used truck came up and it happened to be 4X4.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

All except one. 4.27 doesnā€™t have a FAD
4.46 can also come with or without it. I have no idea what determines if it gets it or not though.

Final drive ratioFeature codes (SDR codes)Axle codesFuel economy codes (SDRType of axle/differential
3.73EGAJBEGKADC7AAFOpen style front differential - M190 STD - aluminum carrier and tube assembly with FAD, 7.5ā€ ring gear
4.27EGAMEOpen style front differential - M190 STD - aluminum carrier and tube assembly without FAD, 7.5ā€ ring gear
4.46EGADROpen style front differential - M190 STD - aluminum carrier and tube assembly with and without FAD, 7.5ā€ ring gear
EGADR
EGAA6
EGKAHC7AABElectronic locking front differential - M210 - Black cast iron carrier and aluminum tube assembly without FAD, 8.26ā€ ring gear
Yep, my 4.27 does not have FAD, it's the outlier, don't know why but i'm good with it.
Sponsored