First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC yukon denali
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m very excited for the goat modes on the bronco. As we know not every bronco has the same amount of goat modes. My question is that even if a bronco doesn’t have “mud ruts” can a few buttons (like 4h, crawler gear etc.) be pressed and it’s basically the same thing? (I hope I explained this right hopefully y’all get it😅)
Sponsored

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think you will find that the most important parts of the goat modes is their ability to alter the steering response and more importantly, the traction control/ABS. More aggressive shifting and throttle response (or less agressive) is also nice, but getting the nannies turned off is most important off-road. I feel that even the base settings will be enough in most cases.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This was in a recent post; you can get most of the features out of a couple of the modes.
Ford Bronco Do we NEED goat modes? DED207E5-9B89-4134-8E52-D77587A19FAC

OP
OP
kylearmani

kylearmani

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC yukon denali
Your Bronco Model
Base
This was in a recent post; you can get most of the features out of a couple of the modes.
Ford Bronco Do we NEED goat modes? DED207E5-9B89-4134-8E52-D77587A19FAC
Ok this is a good example of what i’m getting at. Since sport and baja are almost identical. Could I put my car in sport mode then put it in 4H and boom I have baja (assuming my trim doesn’t come with a baja goat mode)

Sponsored

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ok this is a good example of what i’m getting at. Since sport and baja are almost identical. Could I put my car in sport mode then put it in 4H and boom I have baja (assuming my trim doesn’t come with a baja goat mode)
Yep, I plan on using Baja mode as Sport mode in my FE

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...even if a bronco doesn’t have “mud ruts” can a few buttons (like 4h, crawler gear etc.) be pressed and it’s basically the same thing? ...
Yes. The goat modes are primarily a way of pushing one button instead of multiple. A skilled driver should be able to duplicate all of its effects.

Overland4912

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Traction Control is NOT turned off in sport mode AFAIK. That chart is misleading, however it does deactivate auto stop/start which is missing from chart

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think they are useful and a nice addition but not going to be earth shattering. The biggest thing they do is give a novice some confidence and an easy reference based on terrain of what lockers to use.

I don't believe that mud and ruts mode would get you any further in the mud than regular mode with lockers engaged as an example.

There is usefulness in how they shiftk, kindof like an advanced tow/haul or overdrive mode that adjusts shift points and RPMs based on driving activity.

I think they will be most fun and "improve performance" the most at higher speeds, but again I don't think you are magically getting over rocks in rock mode that you wouldn't with lockers engaged and sway bar disconnected without goat mode.

It's definitely a bit of a marketing tool, that has some usefulness but not a significant game changer off road in my opinion.

The trail turn assist is the biggest off road innovation that the bronco brings in my opinion. Can't wait to test them out in the real world!

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yup. It's one other reason to pick the BD. Setting for Baja is as easy as "Sport" + "4H". Now, I just need to move to SoCal so I can use it... :ROFLMAO:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

DED207E5-9B89-4134-8E52-D77587A19FAC.jpeg
What does “open” and “closed” exhaust change? Wastegate?
That chart was a very early guess by a forum member to what they expected Goat modes to alter based on other Ford vehicles. (Hence the exhaust toggle, which the Bronco doesn’t have.)

We should be careful not to take this with any sort of authority.

To answer the OPs question, Goat modes seem to do two different categories of things:

1. Auto select user modifiable things, such as locker, sway bar, 4WD mode, etc.

2. Change mapping and thresholds for things like throttle response, shifting, TSC, etc.

In the case of #1, if your Bronco doesn’t have a specific goat mode, you’ll be able to mimic it by just select the same combination yourself. It appears you can still select all these options yourself at any time in any mode... any changes that automatically happen when selecting a new goat mode are just a convenience thing.

In the case of #2, you won’t be able to change any of that yourself without the goat mode (or a programmer), but for all we know all Broncos have the same options just with different names. I.e. if my Bronco has Baja but not sport, maybe I can select Baja and then by putting it back into 2H, you’re achieving the exact same thing as sport.

In this way, maybe every Bronco has every goat mode combination possible, but they just decided to list a subset for packaging and figured we could always just toggle the #1 options as we see fit.

Last edited:

RiverRat001

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Fusion, 18 Grand Caravan, 78 F250, 81 CB750F
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve never been one to use drive modes but in more modern cars they can make a significant impact on handling and throttle response. The Bronco has lockers at it’s disposal so they threw everything in to the mixer. What came out the other side was a tool that’s both useful AND a gimmick.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Baja will have different ABS parameters, allowing more lock-up than the modes that are actually meant to be driven on the street.
Sponsored