Sponsored

Do you need to upsize spare tire as well?

kkurni

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am thinking to upgrade my wheel to 20" tire with some negative offset. (e.g -24 or -12)
But the tire should still be 35".

Can I just up size 4 wheels and still keep my spare tire?

In case of emergency, Can I still use my spare tire with different wheel size?
Do I need to make sure that the wheel size will still be 35"?
Sponsored

jh3113

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am thinking to upgrade my wheel to 20" tire with some negative offset. (e.g -24 or -12)

You should really do all 5 if you are getting bigger tires. Having that 5th spare actually allows the tires to last a little bit longer overall because when you can rotate that 5th in when you do a rotation

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You don’t even need a spare (some people delete the spare altogether), or you can run with a donut spare for a short distance until the tire is repaired, like many passenger cars do, but the real question you need to ask yourself is, “Why do I want 20” rims and low-profile tires, and am I planning to take my vehicle off-road?”

Generally, the taller the sidewall, the better the performance off-road when aired down to maximize the contact patch and hence off-road traction, and the lower the risk of a punctured tire or lost bead caused by impact from a sharp rock.

Case in point…

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You don’t even need a spare (some people delete the spare altogether), or you can run with a donut spare for a short distance until the tire is repaired, like many passenger cars do, but the real question you need to ask yourself is, “Why do I want 20” rims and low-profile tires, and am I planning to take my vehicle off-road?”

Generally, the taller the sidewall, the better the performance off-road when aired down to maximize the contact patch and hence off-road traction, and the lower the risk of a punctured tire or lost bead caused by impact from a sharp rock.

Case in point…

Shockingly enough, it's for an OBX

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, easy target, I know, but OBX is simply a gateway drug to off-roading and eventually rock-crawling. First, they start at the beach, and then they visit an off-road park, ford a creek or two, and the next thing you know, they’re crawling at Moab or Johnson Valley. Gotta think cradle-to-grave on this whole Bronco lifestyle. 😉

Sponsored
OP
OP

kkurni

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Case in point…

I just looking for more aggressive look :) (Especially with negative offset)

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, easy target, I know, but OBX is simply a gateway drug to off-roading and eventually rock-crawling. First, they start at the beach, and then they visit an off-road park, ford a creek or two, and the next thing you know, they’re crawling at Moab or Johnson Valley. Gotta think cradle-to-grave on this whole Bronco lifestyle. 😉
I kid, I kid!!! 😂

TBH, there is one member here that has an Outer Banks on order, and I know she will probably push her Bronco harder than most of the macho BL, WT, and FE owners combined, including me. She is @sjp, and she’s no shrinking violet. Check out her bios (1 & 2), if you don’t believe me. Susan could no doubt kick your ass and mine combined! o_O🥴

Susan embodies the true spirit of freedom, individuality, and achievement that the Bronco exemplifies, and I am happy to call her my friend. I know her Outer Banks is going to get lots of use in the full spirit of the Bronco tradition! 😎

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Besides being funny looking to have the wheels on your car look different than your spare tire, You just need to be concerned about the overall diameter.

Remember the 35-in tires that come on the Bronco are not exactly 35-in. So when you buy larger wheels and in course have to buy new tires, if you compare the actual diameter of your new setup with the spare and they are the same, technically you could use it.

If for some reason the diameter doesn't match (aka like a doughnut) as long as it is put on the back and you do not use lockers, 4x4, or 4A mode, you should be ok long enought to get you to a tire repair shop.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the differentials unlocked there shouldn’t be an issue running a smaller diameter spare, if it’s the same diameter then no issue at all. Put a spare tire cover over the back one and nobody will notice.

jrstorm1007

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2007 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have no plans to ever rock crawl, just beach and trails. Guess I'll look back to this in 10 years and laugh.

Sponsored

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
TBH, there is one member here that has an Outer Banks on order, and I know she will probably push her Bronco harder than most of the macho BL, WT, and FE owners combined, including me.
I'm going to call bullshit on that statement. Ask the Pickens how hard you can push a non Sasquatch Outer Banks ... one of their latest videos points out one of its terrible flaws and also how a Badlands Sasquatch makes it look like a walk in the park. Must be why the Pickens have already ordered a second Bronco 😉😉

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well… I personally think it looks incredibly stupid when the spare doesn’t match the other tires. It’s one of the very first things I notice and all of the OCD-prone neurons in my brain start firing on all cylinders. (Which has happened a lot recently, as people are having a hard time finding a full set of 5 tires/wheels in the current market.)

BUT, if you ignore the dumb way my brain works… I agree with many of the other posts. As long as you are using the spare to limp yourself to a tire shop it should be fine. Just treat it like a donut. If you have to rely on it to get you home (like if you are out in a trail), I’d personally get a full-sized spare.

---

If you don’t mind being stranded, one of my favorite Bronco/Wrangler looks is a fastback/slantback soft top and a spare tire delete mod. It’s popular among the more serious off-roading crowd, but they also tend to bring support trucks (or at least a lot of friends) out on the trail should they get stuck.

Edit: Here is a picture of the look I'm talking about. This particular vehicle is Lite Brite's Wrangler called Step Child. They also have a Bronco video on their YouTube channel that has a similar look.
Ford Bronco Do you need to upsize spare tire as well? 1641224343284

Last edited:

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm going to call bullshit on that statement. Ask the Pickens how hard you can push a non Sasquatch Outer Banks ... one of their latest videos points out one of its terrible flaws and also how a Badlands Sasquatch makes it look like a walk in the park. Must be why the Pickens have already ordered a second Bronco 😉😉
Maybe they ordered a second Bronco to compensate for their terrible driving skills or the lack of, I should say. 🤷‍♂️

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just looking for more aggressive look :) (Especially with negative offset)

20's will scream mall crawler, if that's the more aggressive look you're going for. :giggle:

Technically, the spare can be a bit of different size than the tires on the ground. Wouldn't do it in 4A for very long. And, it doesn't matter for rotating the tires because with radial tires the spare doesn't get used in the rotation. So, yes, you could do it.
Sponsored