Sponsored

Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars?

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am a very light sleeper & everything seems to keep me awake. I keep trying to finagle things to see if anything works, but when I take a sleeping pill & stay awake the whole night listening to sounds just to sleep the whole next day I think a small teardrop trailer might help more.

I desperately want to enjoy roughing it as much as possible, but at some point the sleepless nights & feeling like crap the next day aren't fun..
Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I haven't tent camped in decades. Travel trailer or Motorhome are my jam.

I like the security, this bear attack just happened south of me a couple weekends ago. No thanks.

Screenshot_20210622-064230_Chrome.jpg
I didn't need to hear this. Been decades since I've camped in a tent. I'll give it a go in a month though, with my 2 kids (25 and 17). Trip to AZ, which includes Badlands, Black Hills, Devils Tower, Zion UT, Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Arches, somewhere in Colorado and Nebraska.

Edit: I'll be starting and ending in MN.

Last edited:

gocats132

Base
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
To each his own, but I like to carry what I sleep in on my back. I can get away from everyone that way. My best day was hiking up the Grand Teton Crest trail with my daughter and pitching my tent at 13,000ft. If a bear would have eaten me that night I would have died happy. I refuse to die on my couch.

95BAE400-9A38-4508-8817-7AFF3E6934E0.jpeg

1642B422-B542-4AAC-999A-6D78A3FE4BD1.jpeg

Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I slept in a bivy sack under the northern lights of Alaska on the Iditarod trail for weeks ...
There is nothing more soul enriching than this..

Ford Bronco Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars? CC90BF8F-4ABD-4205-90E4-FA80F56C9BD7

Ford Bronco Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars? 41BA332F-E812-4C41-A4D6-92DA682FB6F9

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m a tent on the ground kind of gal. I don’t see the appeal of the trailer campers, but also have been around a lot of people who like to use them as some kind of flex, some kind of status symbol in the driveway 🙄. I have similar feelings about the camper vans 🤮. Agree wholeheartedly that the trailer would likely limit the places I can get to! And if I see any of y’all out there you’ll get nothing but kindness and positivity from me!
I love the tent and what it can offer but I've been looking at trailers for a mobile office type deal. Work on the road and see what I can from a trailer. End of the day sometimes the best places can only be accessed by foot/boat. Trailers and RTT aint no good for those places.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope. I mean I still have a RTT on my trailer but I'll stick to my comfy queen size spring mattress, hot water on demand and more while not having to carry gear in my vehicle. I steer clear of campgrounds and the deeper I go offroad the more epic of a spot and away from others. As a matter of fact, wife, 2 dogs and myself are heading out this week here in CO. We're set up that we can work remotely at the same time while taking in the fresh air and scenic views. Beats working from the house.

Sponsored

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I didn't need to hear this. Been decades since I've camped in a tent. I'll give it a go in a month though, with my 2 kids (25 and 17). Trip to AZ, which includes Badlands, Black Hills, Devils Tower, Zion UT, Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Arches, somewhere in Colorado and Nebraska.
I'm not trying to sway anyone on how they should camp, but I sure like a queen size bed, heater and bathroom. Plus it takes a little more work to get through the camper wall vs a tent. Life is all about choices, do what makes you happy and enjoy!

Uncle Gump

First Name
Gump
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Ranger, 1986 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've said that for awhile... camping use to be simple.

I plan on some overnight float trips in my canoe.... Satellite tarp and a hammock will work dandy.

The rest of the camping... I sleep in the bed of the truck and if it's a base camp for a few days...

Ford Bronco Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars? camping set u

I like being able to keep dry and keep the bugs out.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We mix it up with a travel trailer for the weekends at the lake or forest service campground in mountains and the gear for back country camping, either in a tent or occasional 100% under the stars. Nothing beats sleeping on a tarp in SE Utah. The stars (and rare UFO) are amazing!

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sounds like an awesome trip. Plan ahead for Zion NP and Arches NP. The wait to get into Arches can be as long as a couple hours. Shuttle passes for Zions are gone within minutes. Utah has done way too good a job selling those two parks. If you want some pointers and alternatives, start a side conversation with me.
Sponsored