Sponsored

Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very true, that first frost knocks down a load of pests. Either way, anyone out in the woods needs to plan for the bugs and get some real repellant, hint, not OFF! Think, stuff from REI or ordered from Backcountry.com. Sure, you can grab some of the stuff from Amazon if you just must.

I have spray that I apply to my tent, my clothing, me, spray tires with my tent stuff, and always bring a can of pro-level wasp and hornet spray. I know I'm out there in their turf, but screw that, they gotta go if they get too close.

On camping in fall or winter in the Deep South; I'm referring to North Ga, Tenn, NC in the Blue Ridge areas, it's slight elevation (East Cost; which isn't high up to me) We're talking being prepared to sleep with lows that can get down to the upper 20's -40's, which is chilly for that long. I use a hub tent mostly these days because of it's size and weather performance.

But, like I said in an earlier post, you want to avoid cotton when it's cold out. Merino wool is also good in summer believe it or not. No, it doesn't itch and isn't hot. In fact, it keeps you cool and you never feel clammy. Also good to wear Merino when flying to regulate your temp and stay fresh. Downside is merino underwear and t-shirts are expensive as all hell, so find sales.

Any type of puffer coat or vest is also a must. If grabbing down, don't go cheap, won't be waterproof.
All good info for others that are new to venturing out in the south. For those that are intolerant of the bugs, than wait for subsequent freezes.
Sponsored

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do people still tent camp, or camp with no tent at all if there's no precipitation? Yes, some of us do it every week.

For me, last week was the Flat Tops Wilderness, the week before that was Rocky Mountain National Park, and the week before that was Ridgway. This week it's Indian Peaks Wilderness, then White River National Forest, San Juan National Forest, Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, and Gunnison National Forests, and back to Rocky Mountain National Park in late August. And on and on...

There are a lot of people in Colorado - and I suspect other places too - who do this as a lifestyle, not a once-a-year hobby, and the ones I know always have a destination in mind when they camp. In other words, they don't sit around camp. They set up and go somewhere - a peak, a lake, a hot spring, or a waterfall - and come back to eat and sleep. That's what I do.

Summer camping has gotten a little nuts here because apparently people discovered the outdoors during COVID, but it will settle down when the temperatures drop and we get some snow. Most people aren't prepared for winter tent camping.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have roots from the south central Florida....and would love to see and spend more real camping in the whole southeast. I did not realize the fly'n bloodsuckers were as bad as many have now pointed out. General question and asking for anyone's opinion: When and where (generally) is the best time to visit and camp in your particular part of the southern states? Son went to Clemson and I have visited briefly all our states, but Maine and New Hampshire are still unseen to me...Someday-I hope to ride my bronco up in the Northeast maybe I can: Live free or die!
12 more days till July 4th all ya'all...time to remember all those who sacrificed for our United states - one Nation still!
Bama made really, really valid and good points/Advice.
Personally I like camping here in the foothills/lower mtns of NC anytime after mid-Sept up until it gets to the 20's and below at night and highs in the 30's. Those days are just miserable.
As a Boy Scout I remember some harsh times when we did our Klondike derbies where we pulled a sled full of gear and a person through trails over some distance I don't even remember over the course of 2 days.
Waking up that first morning to be the guy who got out there and re-stoked the fire and got the breakfast going while the others were snug in their ice-covered tents was rough!
I'm just not into that whole pneumonia-inducing rough country stuff now.
Give me a campsite where it's not 100 degrees with 100% humidity in the day and not below about 35 at night and I'm game.
May-Early Sept here and you'll absolutely bake just due to the heat we have plus the humidity (being from FL you know all about it). At the beach is nice because you always have that ocean breeze that keeps it nicer, plus the wind does help some with keeping the vampire insects at bay.
But on that note I've also noticed a substantial amount of them down toward the OBX just due to the swampy inner-coastal lands nearby also.
With all of that said, I love beach camping. And forest camping in the right weather. You just have to prepare for it, and get good repellant.

Yamahamer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You forgot these guys.
252A644C-0FD4-4071-A2EF-821BAE5D5AA4.jpeg
The above ain't no joke. Know a guy who was sleeping in a canyon here in northern Nevada - just him rolled up in a bedroll. Middle of the night he rolls over and gets bit where neck and shoulder meet. Apparently a rattler had snuggled up to him to get warm and when he rolled over and onto the the snake it nailed him. Nailed him good - he barely survived. He was all alone - just him and a horse - and it was a week before he felt strong enough to ride down out of the canyon. And a month before he was able to go back to work. Yes, most of the time a rattlesnake bite isn't lethal....most of the time. Small comfort for the parents of this tiny tyke. This happened about 3 miles from me:
Ford Bronco Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars? Girl killed by rattlesnake

Back in the days when I was young and thought I was tough I would travel with just a bedroll on the back of my dirt bike. After getting nailed by scorpions a few times (they also seek warmth during cold desert nights) I graduated to a tent.
Ford Bronco Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars? camp Alkali Hot Springs 5-12-74 enhancedr

Now that I'm in my "Golden Years" my camping is done in style in a comfortable bed and away from all the critters:
Ford Bronco Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars? DSC00849r

Rebel Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco 7spd Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m back from the ADK high peaks region. I hiked a ridge loop of about 6 miles last night, finishing right about the time one needs a headlamp.

This morning I hiked a Firetower mountain, and two other summits. Altogether about 22 miles. My legs are trashed.

A1FBF9AA-7C74-4A54-AE30-CF2CE3C69FD5.jpeg

10C81388-F671-4195-B9A9-34286FE12AE8.jpeg

30C17580-3716-426F-A93B-C3F3DB44A285.jpeg

9261733B-A51D-4EE1-B695-5B94E49C950E.jpeg

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m back from the ADK high peaks region. I hiked a ridge loop of about 6 miles last night, finishing right about the time one needs a headlamp.

This morning I hiked a Firetower mountain, and two other summits. Altogether about 22 miles. My legs are trashed.

10C81388-F671-4195-B9A9-34286FE12AE8.jpeg

30C17580-3716-426F-A93B-C3F3DB44A285.jpeg
I think just those fire tower stairs would trash me any more, let alone 22 miles. LOL

Great pics though. Might just motivate me to get to our cabin in hilly So. Indiana this weekend!

OP
OP
Who iz

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The above ain't no joke. Know a guy who was sleeping in a canyon here in northern Nevada - just him rolled up in a bedroll. Middle of the night he rolls over and gets bit where neck and shoulder meet. Apparently a rattler had snuggled up to him to get warm and when he rolled over and onto the the snake it nailed him. Nailed him good - he barely survived. He was all alone - just him and a horse - and it was a week before he felt strong enough to ride down out of the canyon. And a month before he was able to go back to work. Yes, most of the time a rattlesnake bite isn't lethal....most of the time. Small comfort for the parents of this tiny tyke. This happened about 3 miles from me:
Ford Bronco Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars? 9261733B-A51D-4EE1-B695-5B94E49C950E

Back in the days when I was young and thought I was tough I would travel with just a bedroll on the back of my dirt bike. After getting nailed by scorpions a few times (they also seek warmth during cold desert nights) I graduated to a tent.
Ford Bronco Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars? 9261733B-A51D-4EE1-B695-5B94E49C950E

Now that I'm in my "Golden Years" my camping is done in style in a comfortable bed and away from all the critters:
I respect and believe I understand your perspective and appreciate you expressing it.
Every single choice we make while alive has consequences, and usually unintended results. Judge and scrutinize your surroundings all the time...
Apply 'SITUATIONAL AWARENESS' where ever you are, and with whoever you find yourself...in any city or remote location.
We do not get 'do overs' often enough while we walk thru life. Still worth living, just mitigate the risks.

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Apply 'SITUATIONAL AWARENESS' where ever you are, and with whoever you find yourself...in any city or remote location.
We do not get 'do overs' often enough while we walk thru life. Still worth living, just mitigate the risks.
I took that photo a couple weeks ago on the Gooseneck Trail in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve outside of Scottsdale, AZ. I see quite a few snakes (not just rattlers) while mountain biking in the public lands in and around Phoenix. In the last 20 years, this is the first one that adopted an aggressive stance. Usually they just slither off the trail and try to get out of my way. I know I’ll catch a lot of crap for saying this, but I actually think the snakes, particularly the rattlers, are pretty cool critters and glad they’re out there when I ride my bike. I don’t want one for a pet and don’t want to snuggle with one. But when I encounter one on the trail, it reminds me that I’m in a challenging and therefore fun environment, much different than normal. I “mitigate the risk” by being watchful on the trail like around blind corners and if I have to stop, I really watch where I’m stepping.

OP
OP
Who iz

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do both actually. Wife prefers "glamping" so we have an RV and a toad to go all over this great land of ours. But I also love backpacking, and my kids love it too. Not all camper users are posers.

EDIT: when you compare the two, I must say glamping is more tenable for me. I just can't get a good night's sleep on the ground. Not sure why...I don't care how firm the place i sleep is, so that's not it. I just have never cracked the code on sleeping well "under the stars."
Quality thick Wool blankets, no mixed blends...is the old school key code for a bedroll.
2 under you, and one on top is good till about 40-45 degree depending on your body type. If wife is with me...tent required.

UhOh

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I appreciate the sentiment. it’s all situational tho, some guys can only get their family to go if they make it bearable for them as far as comfort goes. Also:

Northwest: rain/wet, bigfoot
North: snow/cold, grizzlies
South: poisonous/venomous/bloodsucking critters

Last edited:

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I appreciate the sentiment. it’s all situational tho, some guys can only get their family to go if they make it bearable for them as far as comfort goes. Also:

Northwest: rain/wet, bigfoot
North: snow/cold, grizzlies
South: poisonous/venomous/bloodsucking critters
Roof top tent for me thank you.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jdc