Sponsored

Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought everyone was sleeping in their Broncos?
Maybe once the roll out the cargo tray that levels off the floor people will. After seeing the 4dr in person without the tray, that would make an uncomfortable night’s sleep!
Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe once the roll out the cargo tray that levels off the floor people will. After seeing the 4dr in person without the tray, that would make an uncomfortable night’s sleep!
I bet! Haha I was just poking fun at some of the 4 door folk. I can’t sleep in a car no matter how big it is.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm old enough to remember growing up in the South when we made fun of those that "car camped". Then they changed the name to overlanding and now it's a big thing.
Like vinyl interiors.... :rolleyes:

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll just build my own platform that I'll remove if not needed, and I'll enjoy the extra cargo space for the rest of the year. Pretty simple fix, I'm sure aftermarket will be all over this, drawers and what not. I like getting that extra cargo area, instead of Ford just lifting the floor to make it "fold down flat" out of the box and wasting the space.
I guess they could have put a larger tank there? Otherwise it's really not an issue to me, a day with a board of plywood and some 2x4, a saw and a pencil :)

OP
OP
Who iz

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Down South, mosquitos will tear your ass up, unless you do it later enough in fall but before it gets freezing. And then, you’ll be soaked in dew. I could/would do so on my own for kicks, but family would need a tent.

Unfortunately, the mosquitos hang around until the first good freeze, so there’s not really a gap.
I have roots from the south central Florida....and would love to see and spend more real camping in the whole southeast. I did not realize the fly'n bloodsuckers were as bad as many have now pointed out. General question and asking for anyone's opinion: When and where (generally) is the best time to visit and camp in your particular part of the southern states? Son went to Clemson and I have visited briefly all our states, but Maine and New Hampshire are still unseen to me...Someday-I hope to ride my bronco up in the Northeast maybe I can: Live free or die!
12 more days till July 4th all ya'all...time to remember all those who sacrificed for our United states - one Nation still!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Who iz

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like all the ideas opinions and experiences. Just spent last 2 nights camping in snowy range of Wyoming and then near steamboat springs CO. Slept in back of Tacoma and skeeters were so bad could not imagine sleeping without some protection.
That is one of the most outstanding states I have been privileged to travel!
Sounds great to be safe in a tent (if required) to not be bled out to me.

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I use a tent. The weather is too unpredictable where I usually go for sleeping without one. Waking up covered in due doesn't sound appealing either. Plus I'd get eaten alive by the mosquitoes, ants and ticks. And then there's the bears (Black & Grizzly), Cougars, Wolves and Coyotes.
You forgot these guys.
Ford Bronco Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars? 252A644C-0FD4-4071-A2EF-821BAE5D5AA4

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You forgot these guys.
Ford Bronco Does any one still sleep on the ground and under the stars? 252A644C-0FD4-4071-A2EF-821BAE5D5AA4
Luckily I don't have those where I camp. Although I have almost been bitten 4 times by Prairie Rattlers in Southern Alberta while walking around a Provincial Park.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll just build my own platform that I'll remove if not needed, and I'll enjoy the extra cargo space for the rest of the year. Pretty simple fix, I'm sure aftermarket will be all over this, drawers and what not. I like getting that extra cargo area, instead of Ford just lifting the floor to make it "fold down flat" out of the box and wasting the space.
I guess they could have put a larger tank there? Otherwise it's really not an issue to me, a day with a board of plywood and some 2x4, a saw and a pencil :)
True. Im thinking goose gear will be all over that. But yes, one could fab up their own storage compartment while making it flat.

Sponsored

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For me to get to go in the woods more often it requires making it a family thing, which means tent and cots. As the wife will only "rough it" so much. That being said I'm getting old so the ground is not appealing although under the stars is. Will probably pick up a hammock for the happy medium for good weather.
I love sleeping on the ground - but my body doesn’t. So to enjoy one night on the ground takes me 2 days to be able to move again.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

True. Im thinking goose gear will be all over that. But yes, one could fab up their own storage compartment while making it flat.
This. I follow GG on IG and the owner put out a video a few weeks ago that they intend to offer their most complete solutions for the Bronco. They are just waiting for delivery to begin fitment. It isn't rocket science to achieve what they do. So if someone is skilled, they can fabricate a system similar to achieve the flat floor with integrated storage compartments. In my case, I prefer the proven system and professional look. I could do it myself and save the money, but then it would look like I did it myself 🤪.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have roots from the south central Florida....and would love to see and spend more real camping in the whole southeast. I did not realize the fly'n bloodsuckers were as bad as many have now pointed out. General question and asking for anyone's opinion: When and where (generally) is the best time to visit and camp in your particular part of the southern states? ...
As a general rule, wait till after the first freeze. It won't stay cold. But it will have knocked down the mosquito population.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a general rule, wait till after the first freeze. It won't stay cold. But it will have knocked down the mosquito population.
Very true, that first frost knocks down a load of pests. Either way, anyone out in the woods needs to plan for the bugs and get some real repellant, hint, not OFF! Think, stuff from REI or ordered from Backcountry.com. Sure, you can grab some of the stuff from Amazon if you just must.

I have spray that I apply to my tent, my clothing, me, spray tires with my tent stuff, and always bring a can of pro-level wasp and hornet spray. I know I'm out there in their turf, but screw that, they gotta go if they get too close.

On camping in fall or winter in the Deep South; I'm referring to North Ga, Tenn, NC in the Blue Ridge areas, it's slight elevation (East Cost; which isn't high up to me) We're talking being prepared to sleep with lows that can get down to the upper 20's -40's, which is chilly for that long. I use a hub tent mostly these days because of it's size and weather performance.

But, like I said in an earlier post, you want to avoid cotton when it's cold out. Merino wool is also good in summer believe it or not. No, it doesn't itch and isn't hot. In fact, it keeps you cool and you never feel clammy. Also good to wear Merino when flying to regulate your temp and stay fresh. Downside is merino underwear and t-shirts are expensive as all hell, so find sales.

Any type of puffer coat or vest is also a must. If grabbing down, don't go cheap, won't be waterproof.
Sponsored