Sponsored

Does my Outerbanks require battery charge cable to flat tow?

Tigerbug

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Diesel 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My Outerbanks (SAS) arrives next wk and I am beginning to order my flat tow equipment.

I will be using the following:
* NSA Ready Brute II tow bar w/ integrated surge brake
* Blue Ox baseplate
* Wireless tail lights (my bikes on rack will block Bronco lights)

MY QUESTION
Does this Bronco require a battery charge line if my supplemental braking system does not draw any electrical current off the battery?
Wasn't sure if it is required due to any battery drain on the Bronco for the flat tow settings.
Sponsored

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger crew cab, '17 Fusion sport, '68 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My Outerbanks (SAS) arrives next wk and I am beginning to order my flat tow equipment.

* Blue Ox baseplate

MY QUESTION
Does this Bronco require a battery charge line if my supplemental braking system does not draw any electrical current off the battery?
Wasn't sure if it is required due to any battery drain on the Bronco for the flat tow settings.
What wireless lights did you go with?
That’s the direction we are going to go based on what others in the forum have suggested.
Brian

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you have a 2.3, no you do not need a charge line with your setup.
If you have a 2.7 and follow the the TSB no you do not need it.
Depending on what Ford does to fix the Electronic Brake Boost issue on the 2.7 you may need
a charge line.

OP
OP

Tigerbug

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Diesel 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you have a 2.3, no you do not need a charge line with your setup.
If you have a 2.7 and follow the the TSB no you do not need it.
Depending on what Ford does to fix the Electronic Brake Boost issue on the 2.7 you may need
a charge line.
Very helpful, & thanks. I have been staying up to date on your thread re: Electronic brake issue, any updates from Ford?
Thinking I'll go ahead and set up with a charge line just in case.
Sorry for limited knowledge on how to do that but, does that use the 7 pin on the back of the motorhome. If so then my thought of using the wireless tail lights may not work as that requires the sending unit to plug into the 7 pin.

OP
OP

Tigerbug

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Diesel 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What wireless lights did you go with?
That’s the direction we are going to go based on what others in the forum have suggested.
Brian
Haven't selected one yet, however will most likely look at Amazon for one with 5* reviews. I know others on the forum have mentioned a couple but can't recall which ones without searching.

Sponsored

Ranbronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have these wireless lights
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0936C6SC...colid=71APS3CUO1WP&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

for the charger I got mone of these, not installed yet made by LSL products but googling the link looks like the owner is dead and no long in bussiness .

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/15-Amp-Starting-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-p/amp-l-start.htm

I have not needed the charger, have towed 2 days and not needed it, but i was planning on getting a cooler for the Bronco and figured that is when i will need it.

OP
OP

Tigerbug

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Diesel 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have these wireless lights
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0936C6SC...colid=71APS3CUO1WP&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

for the charger I got mone of these, not installed yet made by LSL products but googling the link looks like the owner is dead and no long in bussiness .

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/15-Amp-Starting-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-p/amp-l-start.htm

I have not needed the charger, have towed 2 days and not needed it, but i was planning on getting a cooler for the Bronco and figured that is when i will need it.
Those were the wireless lights I am considering.

I think the charger you listed is not what I was asking about. I wondered if I need a charge lead from motorhome to my Bronco being flat towed behind. My supplemental brake system does not require it but I'm thinking the Bronco itself may need a constant charge while towing due to the fact it has an electrical tow mode rather than manual such as in a Jeep.
If this is true and it normally uses the 7 pin connector at the motorhome hitch that would be an issue with the wireless lights since that is where they plug in the sending unit.

Ranbronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those were the wireless lights I am considering.

I think the charger you listed is not what I was asking about. I wondered if I need a charge lead from motorhome to my Bronco being flat towed behind. My supplemental brake system does not require it but I'm thinking the Bronco itself may need a constant charge while towing due to the fact it has an electrical tow mode rather than manual such as in a Jeep.
If this is true and it normally uses the 7 pin connector at the motorhome hitch that would be an issue with the wireless lights since that is where they plug in the sending unit.
Wrong link on the charger,but they are out of business, there are others out there.

You can get. 7 pin RV Y plug and sockets to run the wireless lights and a charger if needed.

I use the NSA system.

OP
OP

Tigerbug

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Diesel 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wrong link on the charger,but they are out of business, there are others out there.

You can get. 7 pin RV Y plug and sockets to run the wireless lights and a charger if needed.

I use the NSA system.
Great idea, I did not consider. This is why I joined this form. Get info & save $$. Or spend more $$ if I see upgrades I just gotta have!!

lni

Badlands
First Name
Lni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Dr Badsquatch, Porsche GT4, BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FYI - I have been using a 7 pin Y connector today with those exact same wireless lights, and it works fine with the 2.7L.

I think I might've been the first (on here) to post about those lights. Glad they're working for others as well.

Sponsored

Ktraylor07

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco2023
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

* Blue Ox baseplate

MY QUESTION
I use track film to put
Under the magnetic
Lights to protect finish
Just cut with scissors to size , works great,quick removal with lights
Ford Bronco Does my Outerbanks require battery charge cable to flat tow? 1697652215964

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

YES...you need it. I'm not the expert but there are a ton of threads about flat towing Broncos and how you can destroy your transmission...the theory is that a low voltage battery will take it out of neutral tow mode.

I highly recommend you make sure your battery is constantly being charged or at a minimum really read those other threads. Members who have correctly put the Bronco in flat tow mode multiple times, are now facing a $7k+ repair bill.

**Edited for typos**

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

YES...you need it. I'm not the expert but there are a ton of threads about flat towing Broncos and how you can destroy your transmission...the theory is that a low voltage battery will take it out of neutral tow mode.

I highly recommend you make sure your battery is costly being charged or adding minimum really read those other threads. Members who have correctly put the Bronco and flat tow mode multiple times, are now facing a $7k+ repair bill.
I wish we had actual verification this is the problem...but in the vain of better safe than sorry I'm adding a charge line to my set up.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I wish we had actual verification this is the problem...but in the vain of better safe than sorry I'm adding a charge line to my set up.
[/QUOTE
Done
20231021_143744.jpg

Ranbronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I highly recommend you make sure your battery is costly being charged or adding minimum really read those other threads. Members who have correctly put the Bronco and flat tow mode multiple times, are now facing a $7k+ repair bill.

I just towed for 3 days and got a notice on my phone that the bronco went into battery save mode or something like that, so I just took the Bronco for a ride.
I have nothing connected to the Bronco while towing, wireless lights and NSA cable brake system
Sponsored