Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have only been able to find downpipes for the 2.7. Does anyone know of a company that sells or is developing one?
Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know of at least one company that has been developing one for over a year and still nothing. Even with one it wonā€™t do much without a larger turbo and canā€™t get that since no one has came out with a custom tune for the 2.3l either yet.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its gonna be 2024 very soon, told once we got ā€˜24 ECUā€™s custom tunes can begin

Sponsored
OP
OP

JerryG

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know of at least one company that has been developing one for over a year and still nothing. Even with one it wonā€™t do much without a larger turbo and canā€™t get that since no one has came out with a custom tune for the 2.3l either yet.
Why? I have been giving thought to upgrading to a smaller turbo that kicks in with less lag at the expense of top end speed. I am new to this so please explain.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why? I have been giving thought to upgrading to a smaller turbo that kicks in with less lag at the expense of top end speed. I am new to this so please explain.
The 2.3L is running a relatively small Twinscroll turbo already. The system breathes well enough from the get-go, which is why you hear tuners say that there is not much benefit to a custom DP.

If you want to have better turbo response time, you best be running the FP Tune, running 91+ Octane and in Sport Mode to start. The boost and throttle curves are much more refined and brought on earlier in the rev range.

A smaller turbo will technically spool quicker, sure, but at the expense of top end and the overall flow rate. A smaller snail may actually require a custom tune to take hold of any benefit, similar to slapping on larger turbo; the electronics will not be optimized for the new parts put in.

In addition to the FP Tune, 91+ Octane, youā€™d be better off upgrading the charge pipe, FMIC, and going to a step colder plug to allow the timing to advance as much as possible - youā€™ll feel way more gains from these mods than anything else.

If this all sounds like jargon to you, Iā€™d suggest reading up on Single Scroll vs Twin Scroll vs Twin Turbo vs Sequential Twin Turbo systems. There are many ways to skin a cat, each one has its benefits itā€™s drawbacks.

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think a tune would better suit your needs rather than investing in a new turbo, downpipe, and, well, you would need a custom tune anyhow to get it to run correctly. Or just run in Sport mode.

I haven't looked, but yeah, you would think a 2.3 down pipe would already be on the market. You could always source the turbo exhaust flange and have one custom made.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JerryG

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think a tune would better suit your needs rather than investing in a new turbo, downpipe, and, well, you would need a custom tune anyhow to get it to run correctly. Or just run in Sport mode.

I haven't looked, but yeah, you would think a 2.3 down pipe would already be on the market. You could always source the turbo exhaust flange and have one custom made.
Right now it has a JB4 tuner using map 3, a Ford Performance Tune, a Mishimoto high mount intercooler with pipes, air intake, and exhaust. My winter project is putting a water/methanol injection on it and it already has a performance clutch. I'm not looking to turn it into a race car but my goal is to build it to have the best performance it is capable of before going into things like engine mods. I also only run only 93 octane.

I don't see myself realistically downsizing the turbo but I'm foaming at the mouth for downpipes.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JerryG

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How big a project would having someone fabricate one be?

OP
OP

JerryG

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right now it has a JB4 tuner and Ford Performance Tune, a Mishimoto high mount intercooler with pipes, air intake, and exhaust. My winter project is putting a water/methanol injection on it and it already has a performance clutch. I'm not looking to turn it into a race car but my goal is to build it to have the best performance it is capable of before going into things like engine mods.
A while back I got in touch with the Canadian tuner and he said there was nothing additional that he could do with a 2.3 but there was a lot of room for custom tuning a 2.7

bellboyfab

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22Bronco ā€˜93 C3500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How big a project would having someone fabricate one be?
It shouldn't be that big of a deal to fabricate one.
If this 2.3 uses the same exhaust port design as the 2.3 mustangs i believe the turbo already exist i believe precision/ turbonetics makes it.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It shouldn't be that big of a deal to fabricate one.

If this 2.3 uses the same exhaust port design as the 2.3 mustangs i believe the turbo already exist i believe precision/ turbonetics makes it.
Itā€™s the same turbo thatā€™s in the ranger/explorer. I have a spare turbo waiting to be sent off to https://crpengineering.com/product/3-023-321/ for their stage 3 upgrade. Fabricating a downpipe isnā€™t hard but making one pass emission tests is. I could care less about the emissions, take the cat out completely and give me spots for the sensors.
Sponsored