BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's quite the list of performance upgrades. And while I have no problems with more power just for the sake of more power, methanol injection on a daily driven, non-race vehicle doesn't make much sense to me. A custom tune will still be needed.
How big a project would having someone fabricate one be?
A good muffler shop should be able to make one or a metal fab shop. Hardest part would be sourcing the exhaust flange. But you could always cut off the existing one as well.
If this 2.3 uses the same exhaust port design as the 2.3 mustangs i believe the turbo already exist i believe precision/ turbonetics makes it.
And to add to that point, if the Bronco and Mustang use the same turbo (I have no idea if they do) a Mustang downpipe might be able to be easily modified to use with a Bronco.
Sponsored

bellboyfab

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22Bronco ā€˜93 C3500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Itā€™s the same turbo thatā€™s in the ranger/explorer. I have a spare turbo waiting to be sent off to https://crpengineering.com/product/3-023-321/ for their stage 3 upgrade. Fabricating a downpipe isnā€™t hard but making one pass emission tests is. I could care less about the emissions, take the cat out completely and give me spots for the sensors.
Or keep the original around for emissions, then swap it after testings done

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Why? I have been giving thought to upgrading to a smaller turbo that kicks in with less lag at the expense of top end speed. I am new to this so please explain.
There's next to no turbo lag with the stock turbo as-is.. it's small AF. Ford sized it the way they did.. in a roundabout way.. for that very reason.

Go drive something like a turbo subaru if you want to experience lag. My first turbo vehicle was an 05 outback XT.. those turbos are sized for HP and not torque and it shows. Foot to the floor and then patiently wait for boost.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JerryG

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

methanol injection on a daily driven, non-race vehicle doesn't make much sense to me. A custom tune will still be needed.
Can you please explain why it doesn't make sense and why a custom tune will still be needed rather than using the JB4 maps? (I realize a custom tune will get more goodness out)

As I understand from reading, it will reduce air temps significantly and up the octane and cause the motor to run cooler which I thought with my heavy right foot would be beneficial for street driving.

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Can you please explain why it doesn't make sense and why a custom tune will still be needed rather than using the JB4 maps? (I realize a custom tune will get more goodness out)

As I understand from reading, it will reduce air temps significantly and up the octane and cause the motor to run cooler which I thought with my heavy right foot would be beneficial for street driving.
Simply put, meth injection is racecar stuff. 100% unnecessary for 99.99% of street driven vehicles.

A custom tune is needed because youd be adding more fuel that hasn't been metered and it would cause a rich condition... losing you power. The pcm needs to know what to do with its air&fuel or shit gets wonky.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

These vehicles are monitored out the yingyang. They know exactly whatā€™s going in and coming out.

The vehicle can realistically support E85, so why not just add in some corn and make more power? Because the vehicle has its built in limitations. Itā€™s designed with locked parameters which you need a full custom tune (engine management) in order to squeeze out its full potential.

Even though they are built with an Active Octane Map that reacts according to the AKI given - 87 to 91. If you put in 93, itā€™s not necessarily going to take advantage of that, not being designed to even push timing that far.

You want to add water/methā€¦ you get the spacer with ports, plumb in your own tank and all. Sure, a squirt will most likely lower the IATs, therefore making your charge more dense, providing detonation protectionā€¦ But you still wonā€™t get the true/full benefit of the mod if the system doesnā€™t know to take advantage of it.

What goes hand in hand with water/meth? Adding more fuelā€¦ Now you are needing bigger injectors, you need more fuel pressure from the drop in fuel pump, oh, we can now shove a bigger snail on there and a DP. etc. The cycle begins with the supporting mods. All of this spiral starts with having control over the systems - which we donā€™t have yet.

You want to go quickerā€¦ shorten the gears, downsize the rubber. You quickly realize that you shouldā€™ve bought a vehicle that was designed to go fast from the get go. Iā€™m not trying gatekeep anyone or anything, your money, your ride, do whatever you want to! But there are obvious points within the design that are limiting when it comes to high power in a vehicle designed to go as slow as possibleā€¦ and we havenā€™t even began to discuss the TQ limitations on the MT88

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup, pretty much what @BlueWaffle and @Boreal said. Plus it is just one more thing to keep track of and maintain, which may not be a problem for some, but run out of meth with that custom tune and now you are in for a bad time. And then there is the fact that the custom tuning you need isn't possible yet.

You probably could run a very diluted mixture without having to tune but then you are only taking advantage of the cooling affect and not likely to see the gains you seem to be after.

Have you spent any time over on Mustang and 2.3EB forums to see what those guys are doing to add more power? I would think that meth inj is far down the list. Do you have a certain HP goal you want to achieve? What is your intended usage for the Bronco?

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also wanna downpipe for sound. Had one in my EBM and it sounded nice, not fart canny like a catback

Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@mpeugeot has run or runs at times a E30 mix with noticeable gains (3-4 gallons of E85 with the rest regular) more cost effective than 91 or 93. @Ground_zero298 runs meth but I believe has a custom tune he got from a shop in Canada (2.7, not 2.3) For whatever reason things are moving much slower with the 2.3l even though it has the potential to have more HP/TQ than 2.7

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@mpeugeot has run or runs at times a E30 mix with noticeable gains (3-4 gallons of E85 with the rest regular) more cost effective than 91 or 93. @Ground_zero298 runs meth but I believe has a custom tune he got from a shop in Canada (2.7, not 2.3) For whatever reason things are moving much slower with the 2.3l even though it has the potential to have more HP/TQ than 2.7
Early on people were claiming the 2.3 block will only hold 400 horse. Not sure if thatā€™s been debunked or not.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Early on people were claiming the 2.3 block will only hold 400 horse. Not sure if thatā€™s been debunked or not.
I think the stock block record is/was 501 whp, but I doubt that would happen very many times. 400 is probably the area most wonā€™t go over.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the stock block record is/was 501 whp, but I doubt that would happen very many times. 400 is probably the area most wonā€™t go over.
I know that was way back when the modding was beginning and someone was claiming the lower was only good for 400. Never saw or heard proof. I to figure it would be capable of out doing a 2.7. I know when I left ida I was 423 at the wheels on map 6. After meth was added Iā€™m running map 7 which we have no numbers for. I figure Iā€™m somewhere around 460-480 at the crank and I drive it like I stole it. Yet to have any issues with it yet. Still hope to cross the 500whp mark in the future. Iā€™m guessing Iā€™m around 440-450 at the wheels right now but my truck does weigh 6200 loaded. So itā€™s not a race car. When the top is off and the trucks unloaded Iā€™m around 5300 which will turn sub 5ā€™s 0-60. End of the day I was after the torque to offset my added weight for crawling.

OP
OP

JerryG

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup, pretty much what @BlueWaffle and @Boreal said. Plus it is just one more thing to keep track of and maintain, which may not be a problem for some, but run out of meth with that custom tune and now you are in for a bad time. And then there is the fact that the custom tuning you need isn't possible yet.

You probably could run a very diluted mixture without having to tune but then you are only taking advantage of the cooling affect and not likely to see the gains you seem to be after.

Have you spent any time over on Mustang and 2.3EB forums to see what those guys are doing to add more power? I would think that meth inj is far down the list. Do you have a certain HP goal you want to achieve? What is your intended usage for the Bronco?
Simply put, meth injection is racecar stuff. 100% unnecessary for 99.99% of street driven vehicles.

A custom tune is needed because youd be adding more fuel that hasn't been metered and it would cause a rich condition... losing you power. The pcm needs to know what to do with its air&fuel or shit gets wonky.
I understand what you are saying but I'm under the impression that is what is being done by the JB4 and switching maps between 93, race fuel, E85, is just like having a 'non custom' tune for each. Is that incorrect?
Sponsored