First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Another reason it's ridiculous to have an open rear end instead of a Posi-trac. (Sorry, Limited-Slip, Posi is a GM trademark)

Trying to remember the last time I had a vehicle without a limited slip differential...

My Son's crappoy 2002 frontier I am driving because my Bronco is still on a train somewhere? Nope.
Mustang, nope
Mustang before that... nope
One before that. no...
F-150....
F-250...(1996)

Oh yeah, my 1969 F-250 Camper Special. That one also came with bias ply tires.
Sponsored

Rdonohoe

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Bronco & 2022 Bronco (ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will agree that a winter tire is best in winter, but any quality all season tire should be expected to handle as well in the wet as it does in the dry.
The winter tires vent the water quite well as they are designed to vent slush. Many summer tires I see donā€™t have the pattern to manage much water. I know Iā€™m far more likely to hydroplane in my summer tires in my focus. So this isnā€™t about rubber compounds, itā€™s about the geometry of the tread, and perhaps the sipes play a role there as wellā€¦

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't have that issue on pavement, but I did on sand, so I switched to KO2s. It could be those tires?

Sponsored

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Since it sounds like 4A isn't an option for you (I leave mine in 4A all the time), highway tires should improve traction on wet roads compared to the stock tires. I switched to Continental Terraincontact H/T and have been quite happy with them.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I put my f150 (donā€™t have a Bronco yet) in 4wd (normal part time system) all the time in the rain on pavement. doesnā€™t hurt anything (low traction allows wheel slip) and provides much better traction (Empty bed offers no rear traction Even with limited slip).

fwk727

Big Bend
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Big Bend; 21 F-150; 11 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm an experienced driver (cue scene from rainman), but its been about 20 years since I drove anything that wasn't front- or all-wheel drive. I have a 2.3, 4-door, soft-top OBX with stock non-squatch tires. I am finding that on wet paved roads, its fairly easy to lose traction during acceleration. I am wondering if this is normal. Is it the combination of being in rear-wheel drive with a light weight back-end (no roof)? Is it the mall-crawler tires? My heavy foot? It just seems odd to be able to lose traction quite so easily in a fully modern vehicle... but it may just be my inexperience in driving this class of car.

Anyone else having a similar experience? Concerning or just learn to adjust my driving style?

[Update: This has been a really constructive and amiable thread. I appreciate the advice, the empathy, and the sense of humor. I have gotten the information I wanted from the conversation. Thanks.]
The Bridgestone Duellers on my Big Bend can be TREACHEROUS in the rain.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
šŸ›‘ Braking is apparently the forgotten element dependent on traction. More-wheel drive might make you go faster or provide some extra steering control when conditions might otherwise prevent it, but those systems don't do jack to help you stop.

See you in the ditches.

Badassbronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a Sasquatch auto 2.3. Iā€™m coming from a f150 which would spin tires easily in when itā€™s wet out. I have yet to get my tires to spin on the Bronco. IMO it really sure footed and has great traction in 2wd

Sponsored

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Coming from years of driving Subarus it' breaks loose very easily. I wouldn't drive this thing in the snow without 4A.

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 BaseSAS / ā€˜21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I havenā€™t spun the tires once, even after turning traction control off and trying to do a burnout. Sounds like the red light racers need to learn throttle control šŸ¤£

OP
OP
dsgordo0

dsgordo0

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Bridgestone Duellers on my Big Bend can be TREACHEROUS in the rain.
same tires as the obx. will definitely be picking something different for the next set.

Weck

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 2500, Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This issue has been beat to death on the Outer Banks page. And yes the Bridgestone tires suck. I can attest to that. I always drive pickups (rear wheel drive with light backend) and never have that problem with anything else. The Bronco looses traction at the slightest throttle input on wet roads.

Weck

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 2500, Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm sitting here trying to figure out why the **** people are engaging any 4wd system because of some rain on a paved road?

Slow the hell down if you're losing traction. If you can't steer, you can't stop.
Itā€™s not a speed thing. It is trying to leave from a stop. People are complaining that Bridgestone tires do not get enough grip on wet surfaces. I can agree with them. I have never had tires this bad.
Sponsored