First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm an experienced driver (cue scene from rainman), but its been about 20 years since I drove anything that wasn't front- or all-wheel drive. I have a 2.3, 4-door, soft-top OBX with stock non-squatch tires. I am finding that on wet paved roads, its fairly easy to lose traction during acceleration. I am wondering if this is normal. Is it the combination of being in rear-wheel drive with a light weight back-end (no roof)? Is it the mall-crawler tires? My heavy foot? It just seems odd to be able to lose traction quite so easily in a fully modern vehicle... but it may just be my inexperience in driving this class of car.

Anyone else having a similar experience? Concerning or just learn to adjust my driving style?

[Update: This has been a really constructive and amiable thread. I appreciate the advice, the empathy, and the sense of humor. I have gotten the information I wanted from the conversation. Thanks.]
Sponsored

Last edited:

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmm.
No issues here.
I'd put the bulk of the blame on the heavy foot?

I mean, lightweight rear doesn't help, but look at the plethora of trucks on the roads who are not constantly spinning out of control.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I really only lose traction if I goose it from a stop while taking a turn. Even with my K02s which have a bit less pavement traction than my standard OBX tires/Bridgestones. Mine is the standard system (no 4A) so always in RWD with the 2.7. I think you need to lighten up on the accelerator, it's not a race car, lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Noticed similar in my 2 door with the 2.3, not as bad as my F150 was, but you definitely have to take it easier on the throttle when it’s wet out.

Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My 2.7 not an issue but I believe that’s due to programming. The wife’s 2.3 is def snappier and will break traction easier on pavement. This winter will be interesting for her as she is in the same boat as the OP. Front or awd for many years.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Lead foot 😂

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the standard 4-wheel system. No 4A. Just 2H, 4H, 4L (or their various goat flavors).
I ran in to this with 2.3 MT BL when I first picked up, especially turns from standstill. I turn on 4A for any rain for safety, and slippery GOAT for heavy stuff. Since you don't have 4A, I'd either not give so many beans, or just be quick to go to slippery mode.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the relevant point is that you haven't driven anything but front wheel drive and all wheel drive.

The down side with front engine rear wheel drive is the rather light rear affecting traction. That said I think the overall handling is much nicer which is why I have always own rear wheel drive vehicles as my primary vehicle.

Even "back in the day" wheel spin on wet roads had to be managed particularly from stop. With aluminum and fiberglass cutting weight and an engine with lots of power for the weight this is worse and can happen even if not starting from a stop. Traction control systems can manage this but it also tends to breed a heavier foot than if one actually experienced the slip for themselves and managed it manually.

In my opinion there is nothing particular unusual, it is just habits not tuned to rear wheel drive you are experiencing.
Sponsored