Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The right GOAT mode will also help. It changes traction control, throttle, steering and trans. I am confused a little here. The OBX doesn’t have 4A?
Sponsored

OP
OP
dsgordo0

dsgordo0

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The right GOAT mode will also help. It changes traction control, throttle, steering and trans. I am confused a little here. The OBX doesn’t have 4A?
No, 4A is about a $1500 option on the OBX and I think it was on the constrained option list when I ordered.

I've been putting it into "slippery" mode using the GOAT control and that definitely solves the issue... but just wanted to get some perspective from the communal intelligence about how common this was and how much this was my driving vs my expectations vs just the normal characteristics of this type of vehicle.

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboats…
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm an experienced driver (cue scene from rainman), but its been about 20 years since I drove anything that wasn't front- or all-wheel drive. I have a 2.3, 4-door, soft-top OBX with stock non-squatch tires. I am finding that on wet paved roads, its fairly easy to lose traction during acceleration. I am wondering if this is normal. Is it the combination of being in rear-wheel drive with a light weight back-end (no roof)? Is it the mall-crawler tires? My heavy foot? It just seems odd to be able to lose traction quite so easily in a fully modern vehicle... but it may just be my inexperience in driving this class of car.

Anyone else having a similar experience? Concerning or just learn to adjust my driving style?
Like others have said, probably too much right foot too fast.
The cure is a "playboy's touch on the throttle".
Should help with the loose back end, keeping traction off road, and your tire budget.

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I discovered this issue first drive in some mixed precip last winter. I was cooking along at highway speeds with cruise control pushing the throttle. When I hit the expansion gaps on overpasses, the truck went sideways. Scared the shit out of me.

I too had not driven a RWD rig in twenty years. Even my shitbox defenders were full time 4wd.

After the second time, I flipped the GOAT mode switch to slippery and problem solved. I noticed it activated the 4A light, so that became my more go-to quick solution. I wonder if Slippery mode for you will do the same thing as 4A. I'm guessing the GOAT mode probably tempers the throttle response too.

I have a 2.3 7MT badlands, for reference.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really only lose traction if I goose it from a stop while taking a turn.

it's not a race car, lol.
Ford Bronco Driving on wet paved roads? 1662996456320

Clearly you haven't been following the 0-60 video's of people "drag racing" against Jeeps... :ROFLMAO:

Justin Demyan

Outer Banks
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm an experienced driver (cue scene from rainman), but its been about 20 years since I drove anything that wasn't front- or all-wheel drive. I have a 2.3, 4-door, soft-top OBX with stock non-squatch tires. I am finding that on wet paved roads, its fairly easy to lose traction during acceleration. I am wondering if this is normal. Is it the combination of being in rear-wheel drive with a light weight back-end (no roof)? Is it the mall-crawler tires? My heavy foot? It just seems odd to be able to lose traction quite so easily in a fully modern vehicle... but it may just be my inexperience in driving this class of car.

Anyone else having a similar experience? Concerning or just learn to adjust my driving style?
The same things happen to me, I have 35 inch BF Goodrich tires too. live in FL.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
New driver will fix it.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I discovered this issue first drive in some mixed precip last winter. I was cooking along at highway speeds with cruise control pushing the throttle. When I hit the expansion gaps on overpasses, the truck went sideways. Scared the shit out of me.

I too had not driven a RWD rig in twenty years. Even my shitbox defenders were full time 4wd.

After the second time, I flipped the GOAT mode switch to slippery and problem solved. I noticed it activated the 4A light, so that became my more go-to quick solution. I wonder if Slippery mode for you will do the same thing as 4A. I'm guessing the GOAT mode probably tempers the throttle response too.

I have a 2.3 7MT badlands, for reference.
This is what I recommended, but now suddenly wondering what transfer case is doing in slippery mode for those that don't have a 4A...? It can't be going to 4H I wouldn't think, so is it just throttle and traction control?

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is the joy of an open rear end and compromised tires. The first time I took my new-to-me F150 to the carwash, I went to pull back out onto the main road and absolutely lit up the inside rear tire. I've had FWD, AWD, and RWD cars before, but my RWD cars have always had a real LSD and good street tires. I wasn't prepared for the absolute shitshow of an open rear end and all-terrains on damp pavement.

I converted the truck to a 4A transfer case and if I anticipate wanting any kind of acceleration in the wet, I put it in 4A. I may or may not have stomped on a 392 Charger three stoplights in a row when he couldn't help but spin uncontrollably on wet pavement and 4A helped me grip and rip away.

So to answer your question, totally normal. All-terrains are compromised tires on the street and an open rear end is just begging to spin a wheel.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is what I recommended, but now suddenly wondering what transfer case is doing in slippery mode for those that don't have a 4A...? It can't be going to 4H I wouldn't think, so is it just throttle and traction control?
It goes into 4H. I only use normal, even in bad rain storms. Never had the slightest of an issue.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It goes into 4H. I only use normal, even in bad rain storms. Never had the slightest of an issue.
Eek, not a fan of that, have to be super vigilant about switching back to normal on dryer stretches

Rdonohoe

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Bronco & 2022 Bronco (ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a discussion with a tire engineer recently. He insists there’s no such thing as a quality all-season tire. The rubber can be optimized for 110f or -10f, not both. There’s no rubber recipe for good performance across a 100+ degree temp range. He runs different summer & winter tires on his cars & his families.

I’ve driven a Focus ST as my daily driver in recent years and run sum/win tires myself. In my anecdotal experience this engineer’s opinion is correct.
Sponsored