chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm no expert, but lets be fair or think this through. Ford's mounts were not designed for the Torque created from lifting attachments on the front edge of a specialty bumper that protrudes an extra foot(?). When disigning a bumper, then putting lifting points on the outer front end, instead of where the OEM shackles meet the frame . . . I dont think its reasonable to place all the blame on Ford. This is an unforseen design flaw of a very nice bumper, IMHO. Perhaps.

SmartSelect_20230317_203326_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20230317_203426_Chrome.jpg
For sure, but a winch pull isn't always straight.

I just know that Warn/Ford thought it was important to reinforce the frame horns and virtually no one does it.

I asked a vendor about it on this site and got this response-over confidence if you ask me.
Ford Bronco DV8 Bronco broke down in the desert *rescue video* CF2DBD28-6DC2-4962-84CF-5B4CFCD41876
Sponsored

sfonteno

Wildtrak
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The recovery points look like they're 1ft plus beyond where the factory points would be. That's a lot of extra torque applied to the frame horns when lifting. The bumper turned into a cheater bar with all that moment applied to the frame.
This this this.

Those recovery points and winch setup are why I went with a shorter bumper from dv8 and did a hidden winch. That's is a shit ton of torque on the frame from either the winch or shackles.

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
elantra, have dep on a badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For sure, but a winch pull isn't always straight.

I just know that Warn/Ford thought it was important to reinforce the frame horns and virtually no one does it.

I asked a vendor about it on this site and got this response-over confidence if you ask me.
Ford Bronco DV8 Bronco broke down in the desert *rescue video* CF2DBD28-6DC2-4962-84CF-5B4CFCD41876

Think you should link them to this thread.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I see thanks good to know they took the truck beyond the mfg specs.
But dang it Ford for not putting stronger parts to allow for some form of “margin of safety”
They broke the margin of safety....

Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thanks for the link. I’m about to add the rough country winch mount to my modular bumper. I might as well add these while I’m at it.
Yep- if I didn't make my own that's what I would have done. Seems really simple without a lot extra cost or time to wear your belt and suspenders

medguy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for the link. I’m about to add the rough country winch mount to my modular bumper. I might as well add these while I’m at it.
I'm doing exactly the same. I like the RC mount because it puts the winch high and tight to the grill but I was surprised to see they don't include frame stiffeners considering how high above the frame center line it mounts. Not optional (*see exceptions)

*Exceptions: mall crawling

brianbrn

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How is anyone going off road like that without beefed up or spare tie rods?
I bet if someone is keeping track, stock bronco tie rods rarely have issues. The modified Broncos seem to be having the problems. Different wheels, bigger tires, etc.... My Wildtrak is factory and i've been all over Moab, Colorado, and any trails I can find in between and have not had a single issue.

Sponsored

brianbrn

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here are photos of the bent Frame Horns.

I've got a ADD front bumper. When I installed it I pretty much realized that it wouldn't be a good idea to recover my bronco from the front bumper. I just wasn't excited about the attachment sites. It just didn't seem secure enough.

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like they were out testing some stuff and snapped the tie rod. I really dig their soft top rack. Looks like the bumper held up well too.

Same guy is in the videos for ADD. Are they part of the same company?

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see thanks good to know they took the truck beyond the mfg specs.
But dang it Ford for not putting stronger parts to allow for some form of “margin of safety”
true, but if we could just throw on 37s and call it a day - who would they sell a raptor too?

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs