Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

An ev Bronco would blow every other off road vehicle into a canyon. If Ford builds a prototype and runs in the worst places (where others can’t go) gas Broncos will be a dime a dozen.
Sponsored

OP
OP

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I could aways see why a highly subsidized e-vehicle makes sense for a few, now hearing all these people trying them out for a year or two, only to go back to gas, only re-enforces my view, that they are mostly hype.
There is certainly a bit of hype with anything new, but there is also a very strong use case for EVs for a LOT of people. IF you have a homebase where you can charge it overnight, it makes for a fantastic vehicle for commuting and local trips. It is still a bit sketchy for public charging locations and long-distance travel, but it is improving. Many, if not most, EV households have a second car that is gas. That doesn't prove that an EV is a bad choice, any more than a motorcycle owner who also owns a car proves that a motorcycle is a bad choice. It's just a different vehicle for a different purpose.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is certainly a bit of hype with anything new, but there is also a very strong use case for EVs for a LOT of people. IF you have a homebase where you can charge it overnight, it makes for a fantastic vehicle for commuting and local trips. It is still a bit sketchy for public charging locations and long-distance travel, but it is improving. Many, if not most, EV households have a second car that is gas. That doesn't prove that an EV is a bad choice, any more than a motorcycle owner who also owns a car proves that a motorcycle is a bad choice. It's just a different vehicle for a different purpose.
EV’s are still for early adopters, but they will eventually become mainstream. You can’t beat the performance and versatility (frunk). In a few years, charging times will drop like a rock and driving range will greatly improve. My Bronco and new Expedition will probably be our last ICE vehicles.

OP
OP

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

An ev Bronco would blow every other off road vehicle into a canyon. If Ford builds a prototype and runs in the worst places (where others can’t go) gas Broncos will be a dime a dozen.
Rivian did a lot of testing in MOAB and did just that. People were blown away by the capability and ground clearance that it had. That being said, it would not make for a very good overlander as there is nowhere to recharge in the middle of nowhere. As I mentioned elsewhere, different vehicles for different purposes.

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I suspect the Bronco will be my last ICE vehicle...once it's paid for I'll probably pick up an EV of some sort to commute and keep the miles down on the Bronco (although it will see use on nice days in the summer and nasty days in the winter so...still quite a bit).

Rivian did a lot of testing in MOAB and did just that. People were blown away by the capability and ground clearance that it had. That being said, it would not make for a very good overlander as there is nowhere to recharge in the middle of nowhere. As I mentioned elsewhere, different vehicles for different purposes.
Saw a R1T on my way home the other night, the finish looked better than most Tesla's I've seen (but, this was at 75mph on the highway), definitely looked a lot smaller than an F150 but the dimensions say the height and width are close, just the length is not).

Sponsored

F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I could aways see why a highly subsidized e-vehicle makes sense for a few, now hearing all these people trying them out for a year or two, only to go back to gas, only re-enforces my view, that they are mostly hype.

This will be highly location dependent. Cities with dense charging infrastructure will have much higher EV adoption peeps. In Socal, the number of EVs on the road is growing very fast. I would say the majority of EV owners I know did not buy them bc they think they "green". They are not for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with that. Having owned an EV for almost 2 years now, I will likely always have an EV in the stable. I will also always have an ICE in the stable.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. No room for battery big enough to make it remotely feasible. The E-Tranist has a huge floor that should've been capable of a 400 mile range battery pack and they only made it 125 capable of 125 miles. Was going to change most of our wholesale delivery vehicles over until they copped on the range.

This is a 277 mile battery in a Mach-E and about 7' long. Not enough space under a bronco to tuck something half this size. I could see a market for a hybrid but not the BEV.

Ford Bronco e-Bronco - Thoughts? mache battery 3

DunawY

Wildtrak
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I currently drive a Jeep 4xe that I’ll be trading for my Bronco (next week 🤞🏼) that I absolutely LOVE and if Ford does a PHEV I’ll put my money down soooo fast. For all the ppl that hate on it I’d suggest not knocking it until you try it. My Jeep is stupid fast and strong. Electric motors have real world advantages especially when in conjunction with an ICE

DunawY

Wildtrak
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This will be highly location dependent. Cities with dense charging infrastructure will have much higher EV adoption peeps. In Socal, the number of EVs on the road is growing very fast. I would say the majority of EV owners I know did not buy them bc they think they "green". They are not for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with that. Having owned an EV for almost 2 years now, I will likely always have an EV in the stable. I will also always have an ICE in the stable.
Plug in hybrids are kind of the best of both worlds

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I suspect the Bronco will be my last ICE vehicle...once it's paid for I'll probably pick up an EV of some sort to commute and keep the miles down on the Bronco (although it will see use on nice days in the summer and nasty days in the winter so...still quite a bit).

Saw a R1T on my way home the other night, the finish looked better than most Tesla's I've seen (but, this was at 75mph on the highway), definitely looked a lot smaller than an F150 but the dimensions say the height and width are close, just the length is not).
This was here a few months ago when I came in on a Saturday. Wife saw one on way back from Bloomington two weeks ago and loved the olive green color.

Ford Bronco e-Bronco - Thoughts? rivian1

Ford Bronco e-Bronco - Thoughts? rivian2

Ford Bronco e-Bronco - Thoughts? rivian3

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nope. No room for battery big enough to make it remotely feasible. The E-Tranist has a huge floor that should've been capable of a 400 mile range battery pack and they only made it 125 capable of 125 miles. Was going to change most of our wholesale delivery vehicles over until they copped on the range.

This is a 277 mile battery in a Mach-E and about 7' long. Not enough space under a bronco to tuck something half this size. I could see a market for a hybrid but not the BEV.

So a little bit bigger than those Arb compressors, people are trying to squeeze in places?

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unless the range legitimately goes well over 400 miles I can’t see myself ever buying an EV for anything other than a daily commuter car. An EV isn’t practical for the way I use an off-road vehicle. There are no charging stations where I camp, hunt and fish in the remote areas of Nevada. I’m sure they are and will be as capable as gas when they have power.

DunawY

Wildtrak
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was considering the e-transit van for my company too and saw that range and was like NOPE… Min it needs to be 300

AK007

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting my Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would love a hybrid, it doesn't have to be full electric for me. I'm still concerned with range and charging times but I can use the electric for quick runs in the city (currently use my motorcycle for that) and not touch the 15-17mpg that the Bronco would get. On the weekends and longer trips I don't mind using gas for highway. I was looking at the Jeep 4xe before ordering my Bronco and hope Ford adopts the Hybrid option as well. I read somewhere Jeep is installing charging stations in remote locations with huge solar panels as well. If ford and other companies join in I'm sure we could have a decent charging infrastructure.

"POWERING THE TRAILS
Harnessing the power of the sun, the Jeep® Brand is installing solar-powered charging stations on key trails in the U.S. so you can get a full charge before taking on the trails."

Ford Bronco e-Bronco - Thoughts? 1659142609288

dck82

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If a 2 door was offered, absolutely I would get one. However I’m willing to bet that a more door will be the only option. Plug in hybrid with 50 miles of charge would be perfect for the commute. I will miss rowing my own though.
Sponsored

Last edited: