Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What kind of pigtail? Can you show specifically what you used?
Literally just a wire I soldered to one end of the blue wire on the Redarc harness. You could do it with one of those splice clamp connectors too.
Sponsored

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The bracket for the 7 pin came in the box with my hitch receiver. It had a 4 pin and 7 pin bracket. @flip could probably get you a part number if you ask nicely… good to know about the knob, I kinda like my location better though, just personal preference I guess
Crap. My box from Ford only had the 4 pin plate. It must only come with that kit.

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So for those wanting to do this plug and play go to etrailer and buy their 7 pin harness by tekonsha and then get the Redarc brake controller they have with the tekonsha adapter wire. The Redarc will plug right into the factory connector located in the Driver’s side footwell area, basically up above the right leg under the dash. That’s what I did for mine. Search for the RED63RR on etrailer to get the Redarc with the tekonsha wire. For some reason the link on etrailer for it is broke right now. The Redarc image below is the unit without the tekonsha wire

BC6EA9D0-6C7D-4A49-B468-A88967B4740B.png

51CF4A66-79BF-42D2-924A-5179E1535DFF.png

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only way I know to get the plate for the 7/4 pin is with the Ford plug, M2DZ-14A666-B. They also sell just the plug 9U5Z-14489-MAA which is about $30.00 less than the part with the bracket. I put the raptor hitch on mine with the M2DZ-14A666-B. Raptor hitch is a little heavier gauge metal and it has a "tongue" under the plug to help keep it from getting damaged.

Sponsored

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is awesome info, thank you. One of my biggest concerns is getting 12V back to my trailer to keep the trailer battery charged.

Herb
Herb, while you can use the 12v accessory wire on the 7-way connector as a source to charge your trailer battery….it’s not a very good source for this.

It will be a very S-L-O-W way to charge. OK if you just want to just keep the battery topped off. But unless you are driving 8 hours a day, not really going to be able to keep up with a battery that is being used for any real work while camping.

What you should do - is install a DC to DC charger in your trailer, then run some heavy gauge wires (6ga or even 4 ga) direct from the Bronco battery back to the rear bumper. Use an Anderson connector to connect/disconnect these wires to your charger.

The 12v accessory wire on the 7-way will be used as a signal to the charger (most chargers support this). So that it only turns on and starts charging when your vehicle is turned on. That way it won’t drain your Bronco battery overnight trying to recharge your trailer batteries.

Links…
DC to DC Charger (supports adding solar panels also)
Anderson Connector Bumper Mount
Anderson Connectors
6ga Wire

OP
OP
SnowshoeBronco

SnowshoeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So for those wanting to do this plug and play go to etrailer and buy their 7 pin harness by tekonsha and then get the Redarc brake controller they have with the tekonsha adapter wire. The Redarc will plug right into the factory connector located in the Driver’s side footwell area, basically up above the right leg under the dash. That’s what I did for mine. Search for the RED63RR on etrailer to get the Redarc with the tekonsha wire. For some reason the link on etrailer for it is broke right now. The Redarc image below is the unit without the tekonsha wire

Ford Bronco Easy DIY 7-pin tow package complete 51CF4A66-79BF-42D2-924A-5179E1535DFF

Ford Bronco Easy DIY 7-pin tow package complete 51CF4A66-79BF-42D2-924A-5179E1535DFF
This is pretty sweet! Looking through it, it validates what I did.

You will install this kit almost exactly the same way I did mine, except it looks like one less wire ran front to back. They also just removed one end of the blue wire in that harness instead of adding a pigtail.

BroncoEnvy

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr, 2006 F250 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been researching this a lot and this thread has been the easiest solution I've found so far to add an almost factory 7/4 pin tow package to the bronco, without having to use Forscan to reprogram things or remove all the interior trim panels. Based on everything I've read my plan is to buy and install the following:

Tekonsha 7 pin wiring kit (22127)
Tekonsha | 22127 | Tow Harness, 7-Way Complete Kit, Compatible with Ford Bronco
Tekonsha OEM Replacement Vehicle Wiring Harness w Brake Controller Adapter - 7 Way Trailer Connector Tekonsha Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring TK55VR (etrailer.com)

Ford Bronco Easy DIY 7-pin tow package complete tek wire

This will provide the same solution as outlined in this thread (same plug and play into rear lights as the curt plug and play 4 pin, additional wiring harness to run 2 power wires (1 for controller and 1 directly to 7 pin connector), as well as the additional blue pigtail already built into the harness and ran to the pin connector). In addition it seems to already have the reverse lights wired to the 7 pin connector as well.

I won't be buying a TBC immediately as I don't have the currently have the need, but I plan to run the Redarc Tow Pro Elite like most people seem to run. So to make provisions for this I plan to install the Redarc Tow Pro Wiring Adapter ( 331-TPH-017 ) to connect to the Tekonsha wiring harness.

Redarc Tow-Pro Wiring Adapter for Tekonsha Brake Controller Harness Redarc Accessories and Parts 331-TPH-017 (etrailer.com)

Ford Bronco Easy DIY 7-pin tow package complete red wire

To get the 7/4 pin functionality like the factory I plan on replacing the 7 pin connector that comes with Tekonsha wiring harness with this one from Hopkins ( HM40975 ) which comes with the bracket to mount it to the hitch

7- and 4-Pole Trailer Connector Socket w/ Mounting Bracket - Vehicle End Hopkins Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring HM40975

Ford Bronco Easy DIY 7-pin tow package complete ho

I like the factory installed look so I've been looking to order the OEM ford hitch mount (MB3Z19D520A) so I can mount the 7/4 pin connector in the stock location. But I'd rather not have to remove the rear bumper (even though it sounds easy) so I'm now looking at the draw-tite hitch (76605) as it less expensive, doesn't require bumper removal, and has a mount provision for the 7/4 pin connector in a similar spot to the factory location.

2022 Ford Bronco Trailer Hitch - Draw-Tite (etrailer.com)

Ford Bronco Easy DIY 7-pin tow package complete draw

Thread on installing this exact hitch for reference
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-hitch-install-without-removing-bumper.64643/

Last edited:
OP
OP
SnowshoeBronco

SnowshoeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Crap. My box from Ford only had the 4 pin plate. It must only come with that kit.
I got mine from eBay, so maybe the guy bought it separately? Sorry I’m not more help on that part

OP
OP
SnowshoeBronco

SnowshoeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've been researching this a lot and this thread has been the easiest solution I've found so far to add an almost factory 7/4 pin tow package to the bronco, without having to use Forscan to reprogram things or remove all the interior trim panels. Based on everything I've read my plan is to buy and install the following:

Tekonsha 7 pin wiring kit (22127)
Tekonsha | 22127 | Tow Harness, 7-Way Complete Kit, Compatible with Ford Bronco
Tekonsha OEM Replacement Vehicle Wiring Harness w Brake Controller Adapter - 7 Way Trailer Connector Tekonsha Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring TK55VR (etrailer.com)

This will provide the same solution as outlined in this thread (same plug and play into rear lights as the curt plug and play 4 pin, additional wiring harness to run 2 power wires (1 for controller and 1 directly to 7 pin connector), as well as the additional blue pigtail already built into the harness and ran to the pin connector). In addition it seems to already have the reverse lights wired to the 7 pin connector as well.

I won't be buying a TBC immediately as I don't have the currently have the need, but I plan to run the Redarc Tow Pro Elite like most people seem to run. So to make provisions for this I plan to install the Redarc Tow Pro Wiring Adapter ( 331-TPH-017 ) to connect to the Tekonsha wiring harness.

Redarc Tow-Pro Wiring Adapter for Tekonsha Brake Controller Harness Redarc Accessories and Parts 331-TPH-017 (etrailer.com)

To get the 7/4 pin functionality like the factory I plan on replacing the 7 pin connector that comes with Tekonsha wiring harness with this one from Hopkins ( HM40975 ) which comes with the bracket to mount it to the hitch

7- and 4-Pole Trailer Connector Socket w/ Mounting Bracket - Vehicle End Hopkins Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring HM40975

I like the factory installed look so I've been looking to order the OEM ford hitch mount (MB3Z19D520A) so I can mount the 7/4 pin connector in the stock location. But I'd rather not have to remove the rear bumper (even though it sounds easy) so I'm now looking at the draw-tite hitch (76605) as it less expensive, doesn't require bumper removal, and has a mount provision for the 7/4 pin connector in a similar spot to the factory location.

2022 Ford Bronco Trailer Hitch - Draw-Tite (etrailer.com)

This looks like a solid plan. I like the idea of ditching the socket that comes in the kit with the Hopkins one. One question is why not just get the ford one?

Sponsored

BroncoEnvy

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This looks like a solid plan. I like the idea of ditching the socket that comes in the kit with the Hopkins one. One question is why not just get the ford one?
Good question! The mounting location for the draw-tite hitch seems to require the mounting direction generated by the bracket supplied with the Hopkins plug (bracket hanging down). If I was going to use the ford oem hitch, then I would go with the ford one (M2DZ-14A666-B)

Ford Bronco Easy DIY 7-pin tow package complete ford
Ford Bronco Easy DIY 7-pin tow package complete bronc

OP
OP
SnowshoeBronco

SnowshoeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Good question! The mounting location for the draw-tite hitch seems to require the mounting direction generated by the bracket supplied with the Hopkins plug (bracket hanging down). If I was going to use the ford oem hitch, then I would go with the ford one (M2DZ-14A666-B)

I see! I didn’t find the bumper removal a pain if that’s any help. I think it was like 4 bolts with one being a knuckle banger

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does it disable the sensors? My factory installed tow does.

BroncoEnvy

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does it disable the sensors? My factory installed tow does.
This install does not provide the sway control or disable the BLIS like the factory tow option. To gain these feaures you would have to install the trailer tow module and reprogram the ECU with Forscan to remove the error codes generated. But it's been done before by @RoverDude and others as outlined in this thread:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...scan-as-built-data-without-error-codes.49906/
Sponsored