Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
How cold are we talking for your morning starts? I’ve had two 2.3L builds also, one I ran OEM oil, the current is Pennz. The Pennz is much quieter on those -30° days

What oil are you currently running? OEM is a semi-syn IIRC. Perhaps the turbo is getting inadequate lubrication? I believe it’s both water and oil cooled, double check your coolant levels.

LSPI shouldn’t, but could hypothetically be playing a roll in a “knock like sound”. Again, changing out the oil to a Full SD1G2 would help.

Ive swapped the axle back on my rig and it certainly is more “talkative” when it’s cold; As if it’s got a burble to it.

If we are spitballin, a bad knock sensor is always a possibility… maybe the TOB is warming up?

Food for thought!
What is TOB?

By cold I mean the engine has not reached operating temperature after sitting overnight or after 4 hours sitting before my lunch break. As far as ambient air, it can be 75 or 80 degrees in the morning or lunchtime when I start the engine. Probably even 90 degrees out. It is a bit worse when I start it and it is 40 degrees out, but not that much worse, that is about as cold as it had been when I drove it.

The sound is identical to what I have heard on older far simpler cars when timing was advanced too far. By simpler I mean ones where one adjusted timing with a timing light and rotated the distributor. This thing has far more complex timing as it needs to adjust for many more things.

Knock sensor is on my suspicion list or not plugged in all the way although i would expect a diagnostic warning.
Sponsored

Oisinirish

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend 4 door. Sasquatch. Manual
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You get any info? I made an appointment, got the service manager to ride with me so I could demonstrate. At first he said he didn't hear and then claimed he heard it but that it was "normal". Not really happy with that, but no point leaving it with them if they think it is "normal". I spoke with the service writer and said it been looked at and declared normal so I wouldn't be leaving it. I get an email from ford claiming I "missed my appointment" which they will probably hold over my head at some later date.

My experience is to never let a shop work on a problem involving a "noise" where I can't get them to hear exactly what I am hearing and when. Without that they tend to fix something so radically unrelated they conclude I muse be talking about and the "fix" is something that isn't broken. Like explicitly saying "only happens at first start of the day" and they go looking for something after vehicle is totally warmed up...?!?

Anyway, at this point I figure I need to investigate it myself. Pretty much it has to be timing being too far advanced or knock sensor not doing what it should.
They were able to reproduce and sent an email into Ford tech. Ford is aware of the noise and say it’s “normal waste gate rattle and nothing to worry about”.
Just got it back this afternoon.

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They were able to reproduce and sent an email into Ford tech. Ford is aware of the noise and say it’s “normal waste gate rattle and nothing to worry about”.
Just got it back this afternoon.
I had that noise on my Ranger that I traded for my Bronco and it was driving me nuts. And here I am with 1k miles on my 2.3l Bronco, and it does the same damn thing. It's not as pronounced thankfully. I had a loud exhaust in the Ranger and could still hear it.

Nothing was out of the ordinary or giving a code so I figured it would be considered normal if I brought it to the dealer. Im just bummed that its making the same rattle. It was always in lower gears while accelerating hard. If you just cruise around and what not it won't make the noise. Neutral revving? No noise.

Soooo if its truly wastegate rattle then I can atleast sleep a little better at night knowing it isn't going to blow up or the trans etc.

Oisinirish

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had that noise on my Ranger that I traded for my Bronco and it was driving me nuts. And here I am with 1k miles on my 2.3l Bronco, and it does the same damn thing. It's not as pronounced thankfully. I had a loud exhaust in the Ranger and could still hear it.

Nothing was out of the ordinary or giving a code so I figured it would be considered normal if I brought it to the dealer. Im just bummed that its making the same rattle. It was always in lower gears while accelerating hard. If you just cruise around and what not it won't make the noise. Neutral revving? No noise.

Soooo if its truly wastegate rattle then I can atleast sleep a little better at night knowing it isn't going to blow up or the trans etc.
Yeah. Not totally satisfied with the answer. What don’t get is why it goes away after warm up. And doesn’t start for about the first 1/2 minute.

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah. Not totally satisfied with the answer. What don’t get is why it goes away after warm up. And doesn’t start for about the first 1/2 minute.
I agree that it would have been nice for a different answer, but considering the Ranger has a different transmission I suppose its definitely not that. And my Ranger never had any smoke, rough idle, lose of power, loss of MPG, nothing. So maybe it really is just the wastegate rattling? It squeaks as well when it moves back and forth. Some people never hear it, some do. :/ I'm not going to let it get me down though. I'm confident it's not a real problem anymore, but definitely annoying to hear.

Sponsored

pvaska

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the exact same problem. 2.3 engine, pinging on even modest acceleration, goes away when engine is warmed up. Sounds exactly like pinging/knocking/pre-ignition I have had on older non-turbo vehicles. This is my first turbo but I have read that wastegate rattle is more noticeable on deceleration and should be independent of engine warmup? Took it to local ford who said it was normal but I didn't do a test drive with them so they probably didn't hear it. Even if it is wastegate rattle, shouldn't that be covered under warranty?

Oisinirish

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have the exact same problem. 2.3 engine, pinging on even modest acceleration, goes away when engine is warmed up. Sounds exactly like pinging/knocking/pre-ignition I have had on older non-turbo vehicles. This is my first turbo but I have read that wastegate rattle is more noticeable on deceleration and should be independent of engine warmup? Took it to local ford who said it was normal but I didn't do a test drive with them so they probably didn't hear it. Even if it is wastegate rattle, shouldn't that be covered under warranty?
Yeah. Ford Corporate told the dealer it’s not an issue. I’m gonna let it ride for a bit and if it bothers me too much I’ll probably push to get it replaced.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

pvaska

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hard to tell but pretty sure it's different. I have an automatic and it doesn't happen at idle or randomly, happens consistently but only under load before engine warmed up.

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Definitely not the sound I have. Just like @pvaska mine is only when cold and only under load and I'll add I've heard the exact noise before (as I mention somewhere else in this thread or my OP) and that was from a mis-adjusted timing on an engine which I believed to be pre-ignition. My only uncertainty is that nobody has actually told me back then or now that the noise is pre-ignition for certain. My recent visit to Ford they said it was "normal". The only positive thing is that as I have gotten past 700 miles and approaching 800 miles it seems to have improved quite a bit and becoming more like my other bronco though my other hardly does it at all.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hello! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this concern for you? Thank you!

Nick72

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the same pinging noise when cold and with minimal acceleration ( no turbo boost). Goes away after the engine warms up.
Will be watching this thread.

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hello! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this concern for you? Thank you!
Would you be able to assist me as well? My dealer won't acknowledge the pronounced rattle under acceleration. It. Is. Not. Normal. I don't even think they test drove it whe. I took it in.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yup same noise here since new. Goes away after warm up. Not concerned. 10k miles and not any worse. Apt to believe ford on this one for once.
Sponsored