First Name
M-Ditty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Crazy symptoms and hopefully good outcome…

I’m in the process of plasti dipping my Sasquatch bead locks to make them black vs silver. I had two re-installed (driver side) and had two still off, when I had to take a quick drive down the highway (100 miles or so). I was cruising at about 75 when things got weird.

Suddenly my idiot lights started chiming - ABS, traction control and collision avoidance all threw warnings at once. My Speedo went from saying I was doing 75 to saying 35 even though I had barely slowed down (both digital and the old analog looking one). I tapped the brakes trying to figure out what was happening. I pulled off the next exit, cycled the car but the problem remained.

The Ford pass app captured and displayed two warnings: Anti lock break fault and pre collision assist not available. When it gives these errors it also gives some additional info. One thing it said was something about it possibly being related to traveling at certain speeds with a mini spare… which made me realize that without the bead locks I have a pretty significant weight difference between wheels. I stopped at a hardware store, bought some tools and took the two installed rings back off. No issues since.

Does this sound plausible? Anyone ever have similar issues? Damn thing freaked me out on my new Bronco.

Ford Bronco Error when driving with only 2 bead locks 56673911-797A-433E-BC12-EA6549BBB953
Sponsored

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just a point if clarification, those are beauty rings and not beadlock rings. Unless you beadlock mounted your wheels, but then you wouldn't be driving 75mph after removing them.

I think it is more coincidence than related to the removal of the rings. They probably only weigh a couple of lbs each and it's not like the Bronco is measuring rotating wheel mass while driving. There is also not any electrical connections on the rings that would signal they have been removed.

You could always take them back off and see if the error reappears. If it does reappear, with or without the rings, I suggest taking it to the dealer asap

Reactions: Jdc

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
x2 on the reinstall them and see if it happens. If it does take it in and play dumb. Don’t tell give them a reason to deny the warranty claim.

Before anyone Says oh, they won’t deny a warranty claim. Yes they will, why you might ask, because ford doesn’t pay shit for warranty claims.

OP
OP
Xycarp

Xycarp

Base
First Name
M-Ditty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
I will have the dealer check it out…. Any auto engineers or techs on here with experience here?

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It has to be something with the rotating mass and possible tendency of lighter wheel combos to want to rotate faster, and if any traction loss, will. The warning about a donut, which would due to smaller diameter rotate faster than a standard wheel is an indicator. You did not change tire diameter and you did not change unsprung weight by much but the system just might be that sensitive.

Makes you wonder what errors will pop up when dropping psi to 6 for dune rraverse

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For the life of me I cant figure out you wouldn’t have just removed all four and coated them at the same time. Why leave two on? It isn’t like they need to be on the vehicle in order to drive.

OP
OP
Xycarp

Xycarp

Base
First Name
M-Ditty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
For the life of me I cant figure out you wouldn’t have just removed all four and coated them at the same time. Why leave two on? It isn’t like they need to be on the vehicle in order to drive.
Yeah, that was the intent. I did all 4 at once, but wasn’t able to get them all reinstalled before I had to drive somewhere.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did it feel like any of the wheels were out of balance?

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My guess is system sensors on parts of the drive train or traction control collectEd data that was outside the normal operating parameters and threw alarms.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Xycarp

Xycarp

Base
First Name
M-Ditty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
OP
OP
Xycarp

Xycarp

Base
First Name
M-Ditty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
I took it to the dealer to check it out. They saw a code for the sensor on one of the non bead lock wheels. They though it might have been a loose sensor connection, but didn’t find it… I didn’t mention the bead lock being off.

They found some dirt in the sensor they thought could have been the cause, but it sounded like they were just trying to find a likely cause. The good news is, they gave it a thorough check and didn’t see anything.

I will post back if it recurs.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Miracle of modern electronics. Been running with the check engine light on on my Sierra for over a year. As long as I'm not sitting on the side of the road, don't care...

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you take the the spare off?

I know some Jeep owners said after they took the spare off, they had to put spare back on with the valve stem in the 12 position otherwise it would pop an error.

just a shot in the dark

OP
OP
Xycarp

Xycarp

Base
First Name
M-Ditty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did you take the the spare off?

I know some Jeep owners said after they took the spare off, they had to put spare back on with the valve stem in the 12 position otherwise it would pop an error.

just a shot in the dark
No, didn’t remove the spare. Just the bead locks / beauty rings.
Sponsored