Sponsored

Lowest tire pressure you are willing to run offroad (without bead locks)

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Why? Honest question. Never aired a vehicle down. Just ran fsr's on grasslands near Pierre, SD at 42...no trouble. What did I miss?
Lower the pressure and increase the surface area of the tire, more tire in contact with terra firma equals more traction. Lower pressure means the tile will mold to the terrain better as well, and reduce some trail damage to the tire as it can move better. Also on rough roads you will get a softer feel to the ride as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why? Honest question. Never aired a vehicle down. Just ran fsr's on grasslands near Pierre, SD at 42...no trouble. What did I miss?
Generally trying not get data because this information hasn't really been posted here in a single place. It's a good amount of data for folks that might be new to offroading. Personally, I'll be hitting a trail this weekend that likely will have a lot of mud due to rain predicted, so it helps to have a sense of what others have had success with.
Can't really trust all the Jeep info because most Wranglers are quite a bit lighter than the Bronco.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Same here. I don’t get it.

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Airing down can make a world of difference in certain situations.. from simple comfort to added traction.

Its "the thing to do" because it works.. simple as that.

As far as bottom line pressure goes... it probably depends on how thick the sidewall is. I'm no off road guru.. but I know my fair share.. id imagine that a lighter sidewall would come unseated MUCH easier than a heavy duty sidewall at the same pressure in the same situation.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my experience, I have run low teens on all my un-beadlocked plain steel wheels w/out ever de-beading a tire...however, I have had problems with mud/silt getting wedged into the bead area and causing slow leaks. Bad enough that I have had to break them down and clean the rim to get them to reseal. May be less of a problem on aluminum wheels...or could be worse...IDK I just know I wanted beadlocks right away for my 6g to avoid that whole deal! I would say 15 psi+ should be no problem, but can say from experience that 12 psi is danger zone for slow leaks. Even right at 15 I have had problems (w/steelies). The luxury of beadlocks is I can now go straight to single digits w/confidence!

Sponsored
OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Traversing rocky, wet, muddy terrain would be one benefit.
Traversing across fresh or old snow reduces the chance of breaking through.
This is a non-issue for people on hard-packed, maintained trails

The Iron Range Off-Highway Vehicle State Recreation area captured by some jeeps and old bronco in 2016 is one place you would want to air down.

Last edited:

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ran the trails at Sand Flats in Moab at 20lbs and it was fine. Did scratch one rim as the tires got a proper work out. I’m not sure another 5-10lbs would have made a difference other that the rims taking more abuse.

OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ran the trails at Sand Flats in Moab at 20lbs and it was fine. Did scratch one rim as the tires got a proper work out. I’m not sure another 5-10lbs would have made a difference other that the rims taking more abuse.
Yeah, if I would be running high speed I would want at least 25psi personally with the Goodyears. They have a thick but very flexible sidewall that would likely heat up quite a bit if going faster at low pressures.

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
If you're wheeling your rims will get gouged, scratched and abused. Biggest giveaway whether or not a rig is a mall crawler is the condition of the wheels.
but don't bang up Sheetmetal that's expensive.
-Cheers

Tdecell

Badlands
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F150, 2021 Outer Banks, 2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

315/70R17C BF Goodrich KO2's on stock Badlands wheels, 14-15 on rocks, 18-20 on dirt roads, no problems yet

Sponsored

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's the lowest pressure you'll run for a given tire wheel combination?
What's too low, and what is the story of how you found out?

For the 34.5" Goodyear Territory, it seems the conventional wisdom is no lower than 20psi on a heavy vehicle like the Bronco. Goodyear itself has told people no lower than 29psi.
15-17 regularly in a stock Sas 2 door.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm new to airing down. With my Bronco, I haven't yet done anything where traction was a problem and airing down would have made a difference. Recently, I was in southern Utah where we had to take the same lengthy gravel road multiple days in a row to get to the real trails.

Day 1 - Didn't air down. Didn't drive much above 25 mph because it got too rough.
Day 2 - Aired down to 25 psi. Able to drive 40-50 mph on the same road in more comfort. The limiting factor was the speed that was safe to drive on the road.

Bottom line, airing down was MUCH more comfortable, and since I could drive faster, I saved time as well even when considering the extra time to air up and down. Of course, whether you save time depends on how far you have to go. I now consider airing down an essential part of all but the shortest offroad trips.

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking at these numbers ill probably re set my air down stuff to 18-20 or so, I was doing 22psi before.
Sponsored