Sponsored

External camera auto input to display via hero switch (via ForScan)?

OP
OP
GaryB2220

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most IR lights are near-infrared like 800-1100nm wavelength, Thermal imaging is done in the mid-wavelength and long-wavelength of the infrared spectrum like 3000nm-15000nm. You might as well be using normal fog lights(normal visual spectrum is about 380-740nm) for all a thermal imaging camera is going to care.
These are the IR lights i purchased for this application. The US millitary uses millspec versions of these lights (in a completely different product) in order to drive high speeds in darkness (no headlights turned on) and still be able to see the surroundings very easily on the display. I am just trying to recreate this on a much smaller budget.
Sponsored

BlueBoy

First Edition
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco 351W
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
the 4dtech module? It works. I was their test mule. I have the text entry in motion module and and 360 camera and any speed module.
I am interested in more info on this as well

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Could you shed a little light on the unit for us or if there was another thread on it, would you please share a link? Any pros/cons with the device?
Here is a link to the product pages

Ford Bronco External camera auto input to display via hero switch (via ForScan)? Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 2.49.19 PM

I installed both of these units.

Pros:
  • Enter/edit any motion locked menu/nav address, etc when in motion
  • Turn on your front and side cameras at any time in any drive mode
  • Plug and play with no further programming needed.

Cons:
  • Dash disassembly required to get to the connector behind the screen. The connector is finicky too. So, be sure its seated properly before reassembly (ask me how I know).
  • The bracket holding the 360 module was a PITA to remove the back bolt
  • Rear camera toggle isn't supported
  • Cost

Here is a little video I shot after install

JBowles

Badlands
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These are the IR lights i purchased for this application. The US millitary uses millspec versions of these lights (in a completely different product) in order to drive high speeds in darkness (no headlights turned on) and still be able to see the surroundings very easily on the display. I am just trying to recreate this on a much smaller budget.
those are great for nightvison goggles and what not, and probably will even increase your visibility with the normal front camera as most digital cameras are fairly sensitive to NIR. But they wont do anything to help "illuminate" the surroundings for a thermal imaging camera. They are two differnt types of "infrared".

Sponsored

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Deleted member 32220

I’m pretty certain the camera the op is looking at is only capable of seeing near infrared, same as a security camera. He’s not talking FLIR here they do sell those in compact form factor.
Ford Bronco External camera auto input to display via hero switch (via ForScan)? DF96F7CE-25DC-4229-AA29-84A1BFCD74AD

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
GaryB2220

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Deleted member 32220

Low level FLIR needs high frame rates to be of much use at speed. Our gov’t does not allow anything beyond 9hz “fps” to be exported out of the country. So I wouldn’t expect to see that technology coming back into the country as a low cost Chinese made product. Nothing wrong with high end Chinese products. I’m just “sayin”

Sponsored

JBowles

Badlands
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I mentioned elsewhere, but if you do not have 360 Camera it's moderately easy to use an Arduino to trigger camera display (plus a relay to select which camera to display).

With 360 Camera it becomes trickier and you'd probably need the 4DTech module.

The tldr is the 360 module (IPMB) handles all the video inputs. When you press Camera, it tells the APIM to show the video input. Otherwise, it sends a "no camera" message every second.

If you don't have 360, you don't have an IPMB and your rear camera connects directly to the APIM.

You can send a fake IPMB "request camera view" to bring the video feed up, but if you have an IPMB it'll cancel your message out.

The 4dtech does a much more refined job of parsing and modifying the existing messages, while the DIY arduino method just sends messages -- no modifying.

I tried the Arduino method in my Flex (Sync 3) with success. Only thing I haven't sussed out is why the seats / steering wheel stop heating when I do it.

Advantage: cost, rear camera selectable
Disadvantage: it's a homebrew DIY setup, base/mid package only, gotta assemble it and learn Arduino

Last edited:

Deleted member 32220

^ what he said, plus I think it can be done without 360 “front cam” by enabling front cam in forscan, using 4Dtech box, and figuring out video input. You may need the front cam/parking switch as well, but I got a hunch you can enable the front cam as a soft key on screen as well.

OP
OP
GaryB2220

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model