Sponsored

Failed software update, unable to start vehicle!

OP
OP
Kameronatm

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That Ford response sounds totally made up.
the guy seemed very calm and confident. Said that he has heard of it happening and then told me that info... I still think it is crazy that it appears to be a known issue and they don't advise those steps. More crazy that this is the "preventative fix"...
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing a shotgun won't fix... I mean a beer man! lol 🤐

PTTyler

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Website
powertank.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
Kameronatm

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Preface: all of my problems are 1st world problems... I could get a call from the dealership any minute saying all is right in the Bronco world...

Seems crazy that I am the only one on here that is going though this. I don't like to complain or bash Ford for petty stuff and always criticize in my head those who do on this forum but man!

Icing on the cake so far:
1: rental car reimbursement 45/day but no place has anything below 75 near my town right now...
2: Tow truck driver left the inside covered in grease on the door, dash, steering wheel, center console, screen, seat...
3: Dealership said they may be able to look at it before the weekend but likely next week
4: Seems like this could happen to anyone on any update...

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Modern age of cars... treating them like corporate laptops. They push out an update/fix knowing a large majority will work, but a certain percentage will fail... for the ones that fail... the user takes to a depot to get fixed. Analogy now applies to your transportation.... Not so sure this is good.
Ehh, this is more like modern software delivery colliding with vehicles built with MOSTLY ancient electronics hardware. Rapid software rollout is amazing, but it has growing pains. This could just as easily have failed during an update at a service department, so I suppose its the proactive nature of this bricking it that really sucks. Disabling updates is not a bad idea if you're not having many bugs. The longer you wait to update typically the more painful it will be. I would prefer a config where I'm notified and then approve of the install time.

It would be nice if someone produced a more minimalist technology off-roader. Probably the closest you can get is a used Jeep JK/JKU.

Sponsored

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did you happen to make any changes to your Bronco with Forscan? I disabled the double honk + added sport mode and I’ve not been able to receive any software updates for months now. No full-screen CarPlay for me! I’ve gotta wonder if making changes with Forscan is a factor here.
I have also done those Forscan plus a few more changes last year. I got updated end of Jan.

TurkeyRun

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, '02 F-350, 21 Expy, 4 Harleys and a BMW GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dumb question. Shouldn't a failed update revert back to the previous version? This is the first I have heard of a software update immobilizing the vehicle.
I'm retired from 40 years in tech. The answer is "yes".

1. Download and checksum the update
  2. Backup the boot record and update to point to the new version
  3. Reboot
  4. "if boot !=SUCCESS then
    1. Report update failure
    2. Boot old version
    3. Replace backed up boot record
But really, "the geniuses" should know that. Or, at least tell the offshore coders this is how it should work.

Thiskers

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you happen to make any changes to your Bronco with Forscan? I disabled the double honk + added sport mode and I’ve not been able to receive any software updates for months now. No full-screen CarPlay for me! I’ve gotta wonder if making changes with Forscan is a factor here.
Nah forscan should be the issue for just those changes. I've gotten them all.

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've done the same updates with Forscan and I've received about 3 updates in the past month. I had a successuful update yesterday.

Sponsored

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is the new way. Was without my head unit in Ram for 2 months as over air bricked it. Sucks but when updates improve we love them.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This is the story I've been waiting for...

A hackers dream come true. Send a corrupt OTA update to all Fords at once and BRICK them all. 🤣 😂 🤣

Thos is the most unbelievable bullshit of modern era vehicles. Let's let the Russians figure out how to hack our vehicles for us and teaches how to do it ourselves and then go to war with them...,

And before that let's Outsource all the programming to some third world country that can't speak English so that went to all everything is bricked we can't even fix our own shit.

American brilliance.

Before we were all worried about EMTs with all this electrical hardware and software but now we got to worry about over-the-air updates being worse than that and breaking our shit unfixable too.

Or maybe it's a Chinese balloon with some sort of electrical equipment and Russian programming that captures the over-the-air update swirls it around with their own computer program and corrupts the file and then sends the over the air update back out to your Ford Bronco

Gosh I kind of want an old Cummins diesel with a mechanical fuel pump right about now

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the story I've been waiting for...

A hackers dream come true. Send a corrupt OTA update to all Fords at once and BRICK them all. 🤣 😂 🤣

Thos is the most unbelievable bullshit of modern era vehicles. Let's let the Russians figure out how to hack our vehicles for us and teaches how to do it ourselves and then go to war with them...,

And before that let's Outsource all the programming to some third world country that can't speak English so that went to all everything is bricked we can't even fix our own shit.

American brilliance.

Before we were all worried about EMTs with all this electrical hardware and software but now we got to worry about over-the-air updates being worse than that and breaking our shit unfixable too.

Gosh I kind of want an old Cummins diesel with a mechanical fuel pump right about now
Nah man, keep going. You want mechanical ignition! Screw this electronics crap!

mj63

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nah man, keep going. You want mechanical ignition! Screw this electronics crap!
Diesel = compression ignition (it doesn't get any more mechanical than that)

Babyzak

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Wrangler, 2010 Camaro,2022 4 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dumb Question.. How do I tell if I had any OTA Updates Done?
Sponsored