cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a rule, I try to save money where I can. Prior to the Bronco, though, I always took my vehicles in for fresh oil, but thought I would give it a go because it didn’t seem all that hard. Right now I’m regretting that decision because I am really at a loss and don’t understand what is going on. I changed the filter, and that went well, but then when I went to put the fresh oil in, I only put in maybe half the 5 qt jug and it overflowed! Luckily, I noticed before I had a major spill, and the funnel seems to be sealed against the filler so there isn’t a huge mess of oil, but still, I don’t know what to do. Following this experience, I’ll probably not bother doing it myself again. Obviously something is wrong, but I don’t know how to fix it. On the other hand, I don’t know, maybe if this is an easy fix I might try doing this again. Looking at the pic below, though, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? Serious replies only please 😊
Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you pull the dipstick to release crankcase pressure? The funnel and oil could be creating a seal. As you add oil to the engine, you need to vent an equal amount of volume in terms of air, displacement is a fickle bitch 😂

Could be too much oil, filled too fast. Hopefully you’ve added it to the correct orifice in the engine block.

Bronco_montana

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
... I changed the filter, and that went well, but then when I went to put the fresh oil in, I only put in maybe half the 5 qt jug and it overflowed! Luckily, I noticed before I had a major spill, and the funnel seems to be sealed against the filler so there isn’t a huge mess of oil, but still, I don’t know what to do. ...Serious replies only please 😊
You don't mention draining the old oil out of the bottom. You did that before adding the oil correct?

Sponsored

Skmarshall

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96 F150, '16 Escape, '19 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Oil is not consumed by the engine. It recirculates to lubricate all of the moving parts. That's why you are changing your oil, not refilling it.

Charlesbrown165

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Dr Cosmo Blue
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The oil fill port on the 2.3 is very restrictive. It took 30 minutes to get 6 qts into the bronco yesterday. My 21 ranger 2.3 is less restrictive…..strange. Maybe my new oil was too cold…… bottom line …don’t try to get the new oil in too fast or it will overflow….

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recommend looking for how to change your 6G Bronco's oil online.

Thanks for the 4/1 post!

Last edited:

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t drain the gas before filling up, why would I have to drain the oil?
I forgot what date it is and I took this seriously for a second.

OP, if that line wasn't a joke, just save face and pretend it was. Then, delete the thread just in case lmao.

Sponsored

Lock

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Base
As a rule, I try to save money where I can. Prior to the Bronco, though, I always took my vehicles in for fresh oil, but thought I would give it a go because it didn’t seem all that hard. Right now I’m regretting that decision because I am really at a loss and don’t understand what is going on. I changed the filter, and that went well, but then when I went to put the fresh oil in, I only put in maybe half the 5 qt jug and it overflowed! Luckily, I noticed before I had a major spill, and the funnel seems to be sealed against the filler so there isn’t a huge mess of oil, but still, I don’t know what to do. Following this experience, I’ll probably not bother doing it myself again. Obviously something is wrong, but I don’t know how to fix it. On the other hand, I don’t know, maybe if this is an easy fix I might try doing this again. Looking at the pic below, though, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? Serious replies only please 😊
Are you using the correct amount of oil? I believe most Bronco’s use 3.5 cups of oil.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This thread is about to be amazing. Like the guy that put NOS in his motorcycle amazing.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The oil fill port on the 2.3 is very restrictive. It took 30 minutes to get 6 qts into the bronco yesterday. My 21 ranger 2.3 is less restrictive…..strange. Maybe my new oil was too cold…… bottom line …don’t try to get the new oil in too fast or it will overflow….
Oil does not have to be refrigerated