Sponsored

Ford claims flat towing our 4 mo. old Bronco destroyed the transmission (not covering under warranty)

Brian’sBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands/17 Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So you can’t park the car on the trailer at these RV parks. Lol
I too don’t understand why people don’t uses trailers. Makes no sense to me to flat tow a vehicle.
You can if there’s room or if you don’t have to back in to the spot. There has been times when my 34’ motor home fit on the pad but had to park next to it or the Jeep would’ve been out in the road. Have I been at some campgrounds that I could’ve had a trailer and been fine, sure but why limit myself when these vehicles are designed from the manufacturer to be towed flat. Once again Ford has found a way to make something way more complicated than needs be and will try to weasel out of covering any unintentional damages.
Sponsored

PaBronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2022 F-150 Lightning Pro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I trailer mine to trails that are long distance, I have flat towed Jeeps in the past. I am not a fan of flat tow because if you break on the trail most likely you can’t flat tow home.

I was talking to one of the risk management guys at the Utility Company I work for, he was telling me about how all the new cars and grucks these days essentially have a data recorder that tells fhem when it was put in drive, speed, when brakes are applied, turn signals etc...

This is something Iam sure Ford can track as to if the correct procedure was applied to engage flat tow.

Thats the only way they can deny a claim.

So what was your denial reason???

Silence is deafening.
That data recorder he was referring to is in the restraints control module and it only records in the event of air bag deployment. No other modules on the vehicle record with exception of the Powertrain Control Module, it records select parameters in the event of a DTC being stored. No module would record the process of selecting flat tow mode.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can if there’s room or if you don’t have to back in to the spot. There has been times when my 34’ motor home fit on the pad but had to park next to it or the Jeep would’ve been out in the road. Have I been at some campgrounds that I could’ve had a trailer and been fine, sure but why limit myself when these vehicles are designed from the manufacturer to be towed flat. Once again Ford has found a way to make something way more complicated than needs be and will try to weasel out of covering any unintentional damages.
So that’s the problem. People can not back a trailer up.

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands w/ sasquatch pkg - Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That data recorder he was referring to is in the restraints control module and it only records in the event of air bag deployment. No other modules on the vehicle record with exception of the Powertrain Control Module, it records select parameters in the event of a DTC being stored. No module would record the process of selecting flat tow mode.

Then my guess a DTC was recorded and whatever that code was, was why they denied the warranty claim.

Sponsored

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If this is a problem with the flat tow mode, it would be affecting other models as the technology used is probably the same throughout the Ford line up.

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is this....which appears not be a warrantable issue. Not sure it's related.

Ford Bronco Ford claims flat towing our 4 mo. old Bronco destroyed the transmission (not covering under warranty) Screenshot_20230910_193102_Acrobat for Samsun

beuch

Badlands
First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford f350, 1984 K5 blazer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Waited almost 3 years to get my Bronco. Had to forgo the hardtop. I had it for 3 weeks and the transmission went out. took 3 months to get a new tranny. I wonder if they just have problems with the transmissions? Never towed it or towed anything with it. 1032 miles on it.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not once when pulling my Wrangler did I ever turn the key to unlock the steering wheel and never had any issues with my Jeep tracking behind the motor home.
Curious, what year? With my 2005 you had to turn key to first notch or steering would lock up in a sharp turn,

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Then my guess a DTC was recorded and whatever that code was, was why they denied the warranty claim.
No DTCs will be recorded with the key off. The RCM can still record if power goes off in a collision, it has capacitor back-up power. No other modules do.

Sponsored

Brian’sBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curious, what year? With my 2005 you had to turn key to first notch or steering would lock up in a sharp turn,
2014, pretty sure the JK and newer are non locking.
Not sure why Ford couldn’t have programmed the steering to unlock when Neutral Tow was engaged, would make knowing you we’re still in drive mode much easier.

Last edited:

Brian’sBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So that’s the problem. People can not back a trailer up.
Yep that’s it, just a bunch of idiots towing flat because trailers are too darn scary to back up.

tfrazier

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco BL 2.7, Lincoln MKZ, Newell Coach (RV)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs