Sponsored

Ford claims flat towing our 4 mo. old Bronco destroyed the transmission (not covering under warranty)

aknavy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had the same thing happen as you. When stopped at campground on 3rd stop it would not disengage neutral tow. I went over it with my dealer and went through all the same troubleshooting steps you did. After no positive result they said tow it back home. When we got back and dropped it off at my home dealership they found out it was the transfer case motor that went bad and would not disengage the neutral tow. They changed the motor out in less than 1 hour and it worked as advertised with no further problems. I am just curious, we’re you given the opportunity to be able to visualize the damage to the transmission and transfer case?
No, I didn't get to inspect anything. I was just happy to get out of the dealership with no bill, so I hightailed it out after ensuring it all worked.
Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Big Swede

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don’t have 4A. So does that mean it should be okay? Always worry and keep a close eye on it. Did get stuck in flat tow mode a couple times. Just kept messing with it until it reengaged. Just about the time I started to panic it worked. System seems to finicky. Should be simple, engaged or not engaged.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don’t have 4A. So does that mean it should be okay? Always worry and keep a close eye on it. Did get stuck in flat tow mode a couple times. Just kept messing with it until it reengaged. Just about the time I started to panic it worked. System seems to finicky. Should be simple, engaged or not engaged.
I’m hoping so. Stuck in flat tow is way better than coming out of flat tow on it’s own while being towed. So far all the failures I know about have been related to the 4A equipped systems.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Mine was a bit reluctant to come out a couple times on our last trip. It may be time to take it in for a look. @flip mentioned a service bulletin about this.

It seemed we might have been closing in on the possibility all issues have been with the Advanced 4x4, but don't have verification.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m getting close to flat-towing ours for the first time. Bumper installed, Blue Ox adapters set up. Fingers crossed.

Big Swede

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They didn’t follow directions to flat tow. And to all those that say the gearboxes aren’t lubricated in flat tow are dead wrong. It’s only the auto transmission that will get ruined if not put in flat tow mode. Transfer case and differentials are always lubricated the gears lay in the oil there is no pumps only in the auto transmission.
I will say, there have been several times I put it in Park before I got out of the Bronco. Out of habit. I’ve caught myself each time and redone the whole process. So I could see some making this mistake. That being said, as stated above, I’ve had issues getting it out of flat tow mode, so system is finicky and there are definitely failures in the system. I wish it was more of a manual system.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I thought we were closing in on verifying most, if not all, issues were with the 4A system, but the thread died. I noticed in another unrelated thread that the 4A system disengages a clutch system for Neutral Tow in the 4A system rather than actually shifting gears like a part time system, maybe this is it.

NEUTRAL OPERATION

For recreational towing (all 4 wheels on the ground) the transfer case should be placed in Neutral.
Refer to: Neutral Flat Tow Activation and Deactivation (307-07B Four-Wheel Drive Systems - Advanced 4x4 with 4A Mode, General Procedures).

* The IPC sends a Neutral mode status to the AWD module via the GWM .
* The shift motor positions the ball ramp device to completely apply the clutch.
* The shift motor positions the reduction sleeve to only engage the output shaft
* “Neutral Tow Enabled” is displayed in the message center.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought we were closing in on verifying most, if not all, issues were with the 4A system, but the thread died. I noticed in another unrelated thread that the 4A system disengages a clutch system for Neutral Tow in the 4A system rather than actually shifting gears like a part time system, maybe this is it.

NEUTRAL OPERATION

For recreational towing (all 4 wheels on the ground) the transfer case should be placed in Neutral.
Refer to: Neutral Flat Tow Activation and Deactivation (307-07B Four-Wheel Drive Systems - Advanced 4x4 with 4A Mode, General Procedures).

* The IPC sends a Neutral mode status to the AWD module via the GWM .
* The shift motor positions the ball ramp device to completely apply the clutch.
* The shift motor positions the reduction sleeve to only engage the output shaft
* “Neutral Tow Enabled” is displayed in the message center.
I would say you’re on to something. Just reinforces my choice of ordering a Bronco without the Advanced system. I will still sweat the procedure, but feel better about it. Haven’t flat towed the Bronco yet.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would say you’re on to something. Just reinforces my choice of ordering a Bronco without the Advanced system. I will still sweat the procedure, but feel better about it. Haven’t flat towed the Bronco yet.
We have towed many times many miles all good for us.
Sponsored