Sponsored

Ford claims flat towing our 4 mo. old Bronco destroyed the transmission (not covering under warranty)

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is there anyway to find out if all / or the majority of the flat tow problems have been with the Advanced 4WD system? I saw some F150 Raptor flat tow transmission failures and fires on an RV forum a while back. Assume they all have Advanced 4wd.
I am curious about this as well. Or maybe those without FAD? It would be nice to know. The member constructing the failure list could check the trim, build or ask those dozen he's found that failed
Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Other than just asking anyone that had a failure, I don’t think there is anyway to find that kind of data.
The reason I ask is it appeared (reading between the lines) that most, if not all issues were with the Advanced system. So I specifically ordered my 2024 with the regular transfer case hoping that by the rime mine was delivered it would come out that it was an Advanced system glitch, thus making me more confident to trade in my ‘22 Gladiator which we flat tow.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So this is if it won't shift out of neutral tow, not issues of it somehow exiting neutral tow on it's own

"Some 2021-2024 Bronco vehicles equipped with 4x4 with part time engagement and built on or before 12-Jan-2024 may exhibit a condition of the vehicle being stuck in neutral tow mode."

And they specifically state it won't fix other issues.

" This software release will have no other impact on the neutral tow experience or operation from current design"

So i don't think it will really be relevant to the transmission frying issue.

I'm going to be towing mine in a couple weeks and don't think I want them messing with something that has worked well for me so far so close to my departure date.
I don’t think Ford would admit there is an issue visa versa because they would be admitting they are responsible for dozens of transmission failures.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The reason I ask is it appeared (reading between the lines) that most, if not all issues were with the Advanced system. So I specifically ordered my 2024 with the regular transfer case hoping that by the rime mine was delivered it would come out that it was an Advanced system glitch, thus making me more confident to trade in my ‘22 Gladiator which we flat tow.
Understandable. I wish I could see more data on the failures to give everyone a better idea, but unfortunately I just don't have access to that type of information.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So this is if it won't shift out of neutral tow, not issues of it somehow exiting neutral tow on it's own

"Some 2021-2024 Bronco vehicles equipped with 4x4 with part time engagement and built on or before 12-Jan-2024 may exhibit a condition of the vehicle being stuck in neutral tow mode."

And they specifically state it won't fix other issues.

" This software release will have no other impact on the neutral tow experience or operation from current design"

So i don't think it will really be relevant to the transmission frying issue.

I'm going to be towing mine in a couple weeks and don't think I want them messing with something that has worked well for me so far so close to my departure date.
Yeah I agree and didn't think it would be exactly relevant to the current towing failures either, but I figured I would post it anyway thinking maybe it would help someone else with a towing issue.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah I agree and didn't think it would be exactly relevant to the current towing failures either, but I figured I would post it anyway thinking maybe it would help someone else with a towing issue.
Always good to hear your info, and it shows Ford is at least thinking about this stuff.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The vehicle states it’s in flat tow mode when done correctly. Ford would warranty it if it failed in said situation. I haven’t heard one customer saying I brought the Bronco in and it states it’s in tow mode and the dealer won’t fix it. And I’ve read in this thread multiple times that flat towing is bad on gearboxes and they aren’t getting lube because the car is off. That is incorrect.
Just because the vehicle “states” that it’s in flat tow mode doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s actually in flat tow mode or actually stayed in flat tow mode for the duration of the trip. You take way to much stock in the reliability of sensors and computer controls. Customers have reported glitch after glitch after glitch with all these stupid bells and whistles these Broncos have.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does this mean we, with Broncos built on or before 12-Jan-2024, should all visit a Ford shop for a software update?
Lol mine was built around that timeframe and is currently being transported.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is there anyway to find out if all / or the majority of the flat tow problems have been with the Advanced 4WD system? I saw some F150 Raptor flat tow transmission failures and fires on an RV forum a while back. Assume they all have Advanced 4wd.
So I did a little creepy cyber stalking on the info @gweberg29 put together. Of the 10 I looked at 6 definitely had the Adv Transfer case, I couldn't tell on 4 and none were for sure the part time. (2 of the unknown are likely ADV because photos look like Sasquatch)

Last edited:

Chaddy

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer Sport 3.5L, 2012 Raptor 6.2L
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just because the vehicle “states” that it’s in flat tow mode doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s actually in flat tow mode or actually stayed in flat tow mode for the duration of the trip. You take way to much stock in the reliability of sensors and computer controls. Customers have reported glitch after glitch after glitch with all these stupid bells and whistles these Broncos have.
I would fight it like crazy if I put it in flat tow mode and then it did this. I was saying I never heard the owner say they put it in flat tow mode and it did this.

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would fight it like crazy if I put it in flat tow mode and then it did this. I was saying I never heard the owner say they put it in flat tow mode and it did this.
I’m thinking the OP was the wife of the man who set it up for tow mode. And she was of course furious and heart broken but had no clue about the procedure, and just wanted to get her plight posted somewhere. It’s typical for older couples to rely on the wife for anything internet related.

There’s an uncut video in one of these threads showing their Bronco in tow mode, trans in neutral, parking brake off, and it’s dragging the rear tires as they pull forward with the motorhome.

Hopefully this new software actually fixes more than the one glitch Ford is admitting to.

gweberg29

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying as a retired software engineer that work for Ford at one time. It is the classic hardware verses software debate from all time!

G6Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if the rig survives the tow immediately buy hoards of lottery ticks.

G6Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They didn’t follow directions to flat tow. And to all those that say the gearboxes aren’t lubricated in flat tow are dead wrong. It’s only the auto transmission that will get ruined if not put in flat tow mode. Transfer case and differentials are always lubricated the gears lay in the oil there is no pumps only in the auto transmission.
I beg to differ......mine was destroyed AFTER FLAT TOW ENABLED WAS INDICATED ON THE DASH. This was after 15-20 successful tows over 2k miles. So all the sudden I'm not doing it correctly?

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I beg to differ......mine was destroyed AFTER FLAT TOW ENABLED WAS INDICATED ON THE DASH. This was after 15-20 successful tows over 2k miles. So all the sudden I'm not doing it correctly?
Does yours have the Advanced 4wd system? And did Ford warranty it?
Sponsored