Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is my first brand new car and obviously the only car I've ever ordered and will buy without lots of haggling and cost comparing...

So I need some advice from you all that have dealt with this a bit more.

When should I start working with my bank or a lender for financing/loan application? My order is being built week of 8/9, delivery sometime in mid Sept. Ive been looking around, but wasn't sure when I should/can start locking in financing.

Any advice is appreciated.
When you get approved for a loan they do a “hard” credit pull to assess the risk of lending you money.

Too many hard credit pulls can negatively affect your credit score and cause you to get a worse rate.

BUT the credit score only gets affected after 30 days from a pull. So you could shop 100 different lenders in a 30 day period and it would only affect your score once. Shop for loans 31 days apart - the second one could be affected by a difference score.

I have seen disingenuous salesmen try to push people into a car saying if they walk away from the table today they won’t be able to get as good of financing anywhere else because of multiple hard pulls. Which isn’t true.

TLDR: Start shopping for loans with in 30 days of when you expect to check out Ford financing.
Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You only need to be a member for the insurance. USAA Banking is open to the general public. I worked at the bank for 5 years.
I don’t think that’s true. I think you have to meet the eligibility requirements no matter what. I think you are confused but go ahead and link it in where it says banking products are open to non-members. I could be wrong. I have been a member for 30 years, and that would be a new one. I just went to their website as if I wasn’t a member and tried to open an account to see and it gave me the eligibility requirement for members, same as it always has been (actually when I joined it was for officers / officer candidates only, then they added NCOs, then later added all military, so they do change things).

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don’t think that’s true. I think you have to meet the eligibility requirements no matter what. I think you are confused but go ahead and link it in where it says banking products are open to non-members. I could be wrong. I have been a member for 30 years, and that would be a new one. I just went to their website as if I wasn’t a member and tried to open an account to see and it gave me the eligibility requirement for members, same as it always has been (actually when I joined it was for officers / officer candidates only, then they added NCOs, then later added all military, so they do change things).

I know several years ago they started including anyone with a family member who was in the military to join, even if that person was not a USAA member.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know several years ago they started including anyone with a family member who was in the military to join, even if that person was not a USAA member.
That’s true, family members are eligible.

AbeFroman

First Edition
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You only need to be a member for the insurance. USAA Banking is open to the general public. I worked at the bank for 5 years.
Can you explain how to do this? I just signed up and it said I wasn't eligible for auto loans

Sponsored

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I created an account for USAA too and it required my military credential verification

I will probably be applying at penfed and usaa. But who knows when my 5/4 order will be ready..

Base
Squatch
Auto
MIC

bchapa2002

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can you explain how to do this? I just signed up and it said I wasn't eligible for auto loans
I would call the customer service department. USAA is constantly changing eligibility requirements. When i worked there, the bank was open to everyone. That may have changed.

Call USAA at 800-531-USAA (8722), that's 800-531-8722, and say Join USAA.

AbeFroman

First Edition
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I would call the customer service department. USAA is constantly changing eligibility requirements. When i worked there, the bank was open to everyone. That may have changed.

Call USAA at 800-531-USAA (8722), that's 800-531-8722, and say Join USAA.
Thanks, I'ill give this a try and report back for all.

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here’s my dilemma. My blend date is 7/13, so it’s time to decide.

Save your scorn of my financial choices thus far. The smart thing to do would be keep my car and drive it another 10 years, but I want the Bronco and I’m going by heart, not brain. With that context…

My current car is paid for and its sale value right now to Carvana or Carmax ranges from 26,000 to 27,000. My original plan was to sell it and pay off a $25,000 debt that’s 11.5% that I pay about $600 a month on, at which rate it’s going to take a good while otherwise. Or pay $20,000 of it off at least and use $4,000-$5,000 for Bronco down payment. But now I’m wondering if I should instead trade it in on my $40,040 (plus taxes) BD which would cut my monthly on the car note to $250 or less depending on APR of whatever bank I use.

Any thoughts or advice from the financial gurus here?

Probably should have gotten a base Base, paid off the debt by selling my ride, and finance the whole Base at a total barely more than current debt at lower APR.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Here’s my dilemma. My blend date is 7/13, so it’s time to decide.

Save your scorn of my financial choices thus far. The smart thing to do would be keep my car and drive it another 10 years, but I want the Bronco and I’m going by heart, not brain. With that context…

My current car is paid for and its sale value right now to Carvana or Carmax ranges from 26,000 to 27,000. My original plan was to sell it and pay off a $25,000 debt that’s 11.5% that I pay about $600 a month on, at which rate it’s going to take a good while otherwise. Or pay $20,000 of it off at least and use $4,000-$5,000 for Bronco down payment. But now I’m wondering if I should instead trade it in on my $40,040 (plus taxes) BD which would cut my monthly on the car note to $250 or less depending on APR of whatever bank I use.

Any thoughts or advice from the financial gurus here?

Probably should have gotten a base Base, paid off the debt by selling my ride, and finance the whole Base at a total barely more than current debt at lower APR.
Depending on your credit rating, I personally would pay off the high interest debt. Your vehicle interest rate should be a lot lower than the loan at 11.5%. Let's say 2-3% range. That's a 8 -9% big difference. Especially, if you pay the loan off early enough to effect your credit rating(if it needs a little boost). If you finance the vehicle (+TTL) let's est. $44000 at 3% then your payments would be approx. $790/ mo at 60 months, but no 11.5% loan at $600 a month equals 790-600= +$190/mo., otherwise, by not paying off the loan of $600mo. would result in a car loan of $19k ($44k-25k car value) at 3% for a $340 payment. $340 + $ 600 = $940. So, having one debt to pay each month vs two helps to manage things a bit. This is just my opinion of what I would think of doing. Good luck!

Last edited:

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Depending on your credit rating, I personally would pay off the high interest debt. Your vehicle interest rate should be a lot lower than the loan at 11.5%. Let's say 2-3% range. That's a 8 -9% big difference. Especially, if you pay the loan off early enough to effect your credit rating(if it needs a little boost). If you finance the vehicle (+TTL) let's est. $44000 at 3% then your payments would be approx. $790/ mo at 60 months, but no 11.5% loan at $600 a month equals 790-600= +$190/mo., otherwise, by not paying off the loan of $600mo. would result in a car loan of $19k ($44k-25k car value) at 3% for a $340 payment. $340 + $ 600 = $940. So, having one debt to pay each month vs two helps to manage things a bit. This is just my opinion of what I would think of doing. Good luck!
Sounds about right. Thanks. Paying off the debt won’t boost my credit rating in time for it to help but I have good credit. What sucks is yesterday my rating dropped two points to go from “very good” to “good” because of new loan for wife’s new car just hitting credit while the old loan I just paid off for her previous car with insurance proceeds on 6/12 still showing up as not paid on my credit.

mcalpal

Black Diamond
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Lord Bronco I would do @Contact says because it's best to get rid of the high interest first and the monthly will actually end up being better.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford’s financing for a new Bronco will be 25% APR for 120 months OR $25,000 Cash Forward.

Faust

Badlands
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado - Company Edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Considering I got a mailer from Ford for a new mustang.. and the offer they displayed was a compelling 5.9% APR for 84 months..... Yeah, don't expect much.
Sponsored