Sponsored

Ford has a reason for offering so many gray variations, and two reds.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would venture to guess that more cars were custom ordered in 2021 than any previous year. Every domestic and European brand has taken to custom orders to use up their allocation.

Anecdotally, I notice people buy interesting colors when they do a custom Order. I get why dealers are scared, but get whatever color you want if you have to wait.
Sponsored

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's a circular reference. People buy boring colors because that's what the factories make. The factories make boring colors because it's what people buy.
Such a dark cold dreary miserable world we live in.

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it’s reflective of “people are willing to buy those colors” so dealers will put them in inventory, versus those are the colors that people really want.
It’s more of “I’m not offended by this color” and a low risk for inventory.
It's the classic strategy of appealing to the lowest common denominator.

texashoya

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am pleased to see that Eruption Green is likely to be extremely rare on the road. Come at me, boring grey Jeep Wrangler drivers!

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Salesmen are always surprised when I ask if they have [vehicle] in anything that's not black, white, silver, or red
I have never purchased a new car in any of those "popular" colors - they all seem pretty bland to me. I usually go with various shades of Blue, Red, or Green.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Nearly 77% of car colors ordered are White, Black, Gray or Silver.
“Ordered” by who and for what purpose exactly. The devil is in the details.

Dealers order monochromatic because it is safe and anyone will settle for some shade of gray. Businesses order mostly white because they can easily put on a logo while it is in their fleet and take it off again for turn in or resale after. Rental agencies choose monochromatic for the same reasons as dealers and businesses.

The question is, when an end consumer custom orders a car—and in our instance specifically a fun car—what is the color distribution?

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I appear to be the most boring person in this thread because I chose iconic silver. I had never owned a silver vehicle before, but back in 2017 I ended up with a silver 4Runner. Bought it off the lot so didnb’t have a lot of choice at the time. After a while I noticed it didn’t show dirt as bad as my red Tundra. Being in southern AZ, silver seems to be a somewhat cool color. I sort of learned to like silver. And here’s the thing I dig the most. I have two titanium mountain bikes in my garage parked right next to the 4Runner that match up color wise. The vehicles (bikes and cars!) in my garage look color coordinated, ha. All I need is a DeLorean parked in there to complete the color coordination!

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I appear to be the most boring person in this thread because I chose iconic silver. I had never owned a silver vehicle before, but back in 2017 I ended up with a silver 4Runner. Bought it off the lot so didnb’t have a lot of choice at the time. After a while I noticed it didn’t show dirt as bad as my red Tundra. Being in southern AZ, silver seems to be a somewhat cool color. I sort of learned to like silver. And here’s the thing I dig the most. I have two titanium mountain bikes in my garage parked right next to the 4Runner that match up color wise. The vehicles (bikes and cars!) in my garage look color coordinated, ha. All I need is a DeLorean parked in there to complete the color coordination!
I had a silver F150 and noticed the same thing in terms of dirt not showing, especially since my previous F150 was black. I do like silver, but going off the reservation with my Hot Pepper Red order on this one.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ford Bronco Ford has a reason for offering so many gray variations, and two reds. C064E7FE-032A-4CE4-8148-A1A7FEA129E7

Yes, I see your truck: Notice how much lower white, black and silver are. Also how much higher yellow/orange, and blue are (even excluding A51). Imagine if there was green in our data too.

Ford Bronco Ford has a reason for offering so many gray variations, and two reds. DE582C6D-A5AB-40D9-88DB-D3C704FA141F

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The results kind of self skew don't they? You can't exactly "pick" your color - you are able to pick from what choices you are given. If the shades in certain colors are not good - it's a turn off. Kinda hard to F up , Black, White, Gray and Silver. Red and Blue on the other hand - there's a lot of variety in shading that falls that way and in alot of cases it sucks and you just go to one of the old faithful colors ....cuz it'll sell and re-sell easily. Directionally I think it's accurate, but to really get a sense the production volumes will be there to support it - not because that was desired - but because it was available.

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Allow me to chime in from my experience selling cars.

The grayscale colors are the most mild in reaction if it's not someone's ideal color choice. Like I've rarely heard "oh I can't stand a silver car, that won't work for me.". Whereas a bright red, blue, yellow, etc., definitely has a polarizing reaction.

Plus all fleet vehicles are white or silver. White is just great in hot climates. That's my biggest draw for it myself because I live in Houston.
Well said. Personally, I really dislike bright "look at me" colors. In the way back, Mopar's "plum crazy" etc colors were gimmicky and popular for a short time. After a short few years, dealers had a hard time selling crazy color cars without deep discounts.

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well said. Personally, I really dislike bright "look at me" colors. In the way back, Mopar's "plum crazy" etc colors were gimmicky and popular for a short time. After a short few years, dealers had a hard time selling crazy color cars without deep discounts.
I once sold an Atomic Gold Nissan Juke! Nissan corporate forced it on our dealership and right when it arrived, our general sales manager put a bounty on it to sell. He thought it would sit for a very long time. I happened to get a very analytic and pragmatic couple who leased it because it was $10 less per month, not because they liked the color. Lol
Sponsored