Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just might have more vehicles than butts to drive them. I can relate to @ MyATV ;)
My Jeep is 5.5 years old with under 25K miles on it. It's my daily (and only) driver, and has been since it had 10 miles on the odo.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Jeep is 5.5 years old with under 25K miles on it. It's my daily (and only) driver, and has been since it had 10 miles on the odo.
Wow, are you retired, work at home or just don't get out much? :p

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
First oil change at 1000 miles, next at 5000 miles.then every 5000 miles thereafter.
This^

Oil changes aren't somewhere I skimp on. I'll do a 1k, a 5k, and every 5k, just like every other vehicle I own.

You should really do it even more if you spend a serious amount of time offroad.

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
For me, yes.
I think that you should take in consideration the time as well, not just the miles. You should be changing your oil at least every 6 month if you don't reach the miles first.

Oil becomes less effective once it is in your engine.

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Aren’t there many valid reasons to not shorten the first interval

BDSQACH

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger... Civic Type R
Your Bronco Model
Base
First oil change at 1000 miles, next at 5000 miles.then every 5000 miles thereafter.
I’m normally in your camp… They do the same with aircraft engine/engine rebuilds… but with new engines it’s just not necessary.

My other car (2.0 turbo) specially states to wait a particular amount of time because the oil put in at the factory helps properly break in the engine. I read this after changing the oil at 3,000 miles ; but plan on changing it every 3k vs recommend 6k because I drive the $hit out of it.

My Ranger 2.3 I change every 5k. I’ve read the manual and it doesn’t mention anything about break in oil though.

I don’t knock the technique but do find it more useful to check the fill cap, dipstick, and other basic stuff after an oil change. Never know if they don’t put the cap on or fill it with not enough or too much oil.

Last edited:

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Per Owner's Manual:
Ford Bronco Ford oil change intervals 1626018811008

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Couple things...

1) oil technology has far surpassed the old way of thinking.

2) running 10k on today's synthetics and regular driving is very doable, and changing it more than that is just a waste (of money and environment)

3) if you doubt, instead of tossing $30 out the window for an unneeded oil change, skip it one time and send a sample to Blacklabs for the same price...truly an Eye opener.

I have 2 cars, 1 just about to hit 100k, has seen nothing but 10k oil changes and black labs to back it up. Yup..only done 10 oil changes in the 8-9 years I've owned it.

(Again this is not Turbos or off-road driving)

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Modern Ford vehicles have an IOLM (intelligent oil life monitor) that monitors ...
I don't know how all manufacturers do this, but the ones I've had are just using an algorithm to "guess" so I would never go by one of these. Until I know 100% that they have some means to actually TEST the oil somehow...no way in hell.

I have a filter on my refrigerator that just goes off every 6 months regardless of how much water I've run through it o_O

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Be cautious... Can't Speak specifically with Ford, but many manufacturers add special additives for the initial change interval. Changing out the factory oil too soon can actually do more harm than good. Not like you're going to get metal shavings sucked up into the engine.

For example, l know that Mazda puts a really high dose of Moly in their Factory oil that can not easily be replaced even with a dealer oil change.
Sponsored