Sponsored

Ford Performance Tune for WT or should I pass?

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Bronco Wildtrak, Maverick, Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I agree with most folks here, you feel the power (even if you used premium previously). The major benefit of the tune for me is the shifting. After the tune my 23 WT is no longer searching for the correct gear either on or off road (after the break in of course, kind of wonky for the first 500-1k miles similar to early mileage in a stock Bronco as it learns).

I average 11-14 mpg before the tune lol, but the tune seems to have improved it a smidge and also remembers the auto start/stop setting which I like to have turned off.
Sponsored

DBX2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco; '23 F150 reg cab 5.0, custom interior
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Heard lots of great reviews about the Ford Performance Tune - not sure if I have heard anything bad - but, wanted to check..
Was at dealership in Morristown, NJ today - asked if they would install the Ford Performance Tune for me (going to order from Lethal on BlackFriday Sale). They said they could not install it....and that I should check other dealerships for the install. Ok, can do.
Now the questions - and all perspectives are welcomed and appreciated.
1) I am getting 18+mpg in the 4 door WT - in non-highway driving. I dig the performance (usually in Sport). But, more is well....more. Should I not rock the boat? Has anyone had a bad experience with the Ford Performance Tune?
2) Does anyone know if it would void the extended warranty?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts. Appreciate it!
Have done Ford Performance mods on my F-150’s without issues; only satisfaction. Keep us posted what you decide!

TrailDust

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco, 23 Bronco Sport, 97 F-150, 07 Cummins
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sounds good, but it it doesn't account for how expensive premium is compared to regular.

As an aside, am I crazy, or did premium used to only be 20 cents more than premium?? Mid grade was 10 cents over, premium 20... But now it's like a buck at some stations??
LOL try an extra $1.40 to $1.60 gallon here for 91 no ethanol. Can't find 93 anywhere.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have it on my Badlands, and it's great.

BUT, if I had an automatic transmission I don't know if it's worth the cost to be honest. The primary reason why I bought it was for the rev-matching with the manual transmission, and for that feature alone it's pretty awesome.

The performance tune itself is very much like driving around in Sport mode 24/7... except now you have the requirement of premium fuel. It doesn't make sense in my head to effectively add something you already had in the Sport mode, while simultaneously taking away the flexibility of fueling up with lower octane fuels.

BUT, maybe I'm off-base here. Will have to see how those with an automatic feel about it.

It does not. The tune works in tandem with the factory warranty as long as it is installed by a Ford/Lincoln dealership OR and ASE/RSE certified technician.
My area (Chicagoland) has generally one of the highest cost differences between regular and premium. And I'm not a pavement pedal masher when driving my Bronco. Unfortunate that the tune requires premium.

The rev-matching sounds interesting though, is it mainly a benefit when wanting to downshift? I haven't had issues matching gears, but my other family members also drive the Bronco, and one of them isn't so good at shifting. So could the rev-matching help reduce any "unpleasantries" to the transmission from that driver?

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My area (Chicagoland) has generally one of the highest cost differences between regular and premium. And I'm not a pavement pedal masher when driving my Bronco. Unfortunate that the tune requires premium.

The rev-matching sounds interesting though, is it mainly a benefit when wanting to downshift? I haven't had issues matching gears, but my other family members also drive the Bronco, and one of them isn't so good at shifting. So could the rev-matching help reduce any "unpleasantries" to the transmission from that driver?
Short answer is yes.

other benefits to the tune is ability to calibrate speedometer for tire size and ability to disable auto start stop without having to do it every time you drive. .
And you only have to run premium to get the extra power. Not required for the other benefits.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was told by Ford that the extended warranty is not affected if installed by dealer or ASE.
That's awesome! Was it the ESP group that confirmed that? Or was it Ford factory warranty support?

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's awesome! Was it the ESP group that confirmed that? Or was it Ford factory warranty support?
Oh man, good question. It was a while ago that I asked, but I think it was the warranty group. I didn’t think to dig further….

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Heard lots of great reviews about the Ford Performance Tune - not sure if I have heard anything bad - but, wanted to check..
Was at dealership in Morristown, NJ today - asked if they would install the Ford Performance Tune for me (going to order from Lethal on BlackFriday Sale). They said they could not install it....and that I should check other dealerships for the install. Ok, can do.
Now the questions - and all perspectives are welcomed and appreciated.
1) I am getting 18+mpg in the 4 door WT - in non-highway driving. I dig the performance (usually in Sport). But, more is well....more. Should I not rock the boat? Has anyone had a bad experience with the Ford Performance Tune?
2) Does anyone know if it would void the extended warranty?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts. Appreciate it!

Hey there!

I get 19.2 mpg in my 4-door WT with 93 octane using the FP tune. I enjoy the improved shifting and power and really have no bad things to say.. I also enjoy that my start/stop is shut off.

Extended warranty would need to be questioned - I'd assume it would be voided and only the Ford Performance tune would stay true. (3/36k)

We have these on sale and a ton of experience with them. Give us a shout -
https://www.lethalperformance.com/f...ry-tool-2021-2023-bronco-2-7l-m-9603-b27.html

Sponsored

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
LOL try an extra $1.40 to $1.60 gallon here for 91 no ethanol. Can't find 93 anywhere.
Same story where I live, except I've never seen corn-free gas anywhere.

Is it true you get better mpgs with ethanol -free gass?

Mad Martigan

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and 1 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I informed via telephone that the ESP is not affected

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I informed via telephone that the ESP is not affected
That is the absolute best news possible. I was gonna wait till I swapped out the tires before grabbing the tuner, but it may happen earlier now.

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've seriously considered it. It is not a money thing, but rather a utility thing as in, "would I benefit?"

Base Sas, auto with 2.7. A tick under 20mpg. This is my summer driver. the nearest spec of pavement is at least 20 miles if I take a R out of the driveway. 2 hours and over a 12,500' pass the other. No one is driving fast here.

If I dropped the vehicle of for scheduled maintenance, and they brought it up - making it super easy - I might have it done. But it is not worth a trip to the shop for me.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah it's primarily for downshifting.

For on-pavement travel it isn't necessary at all. Makes driving a little more fun I suppose but that's about it. It does help a lot with off-roading. Your shifts become a lot smoother and it prevents you from "upsetting" the Bronco when going through an obstacle. If you make a rough downshift while off-roading you might accidentally break traction and cause a lot of wheel spin. The rev-matching just helps keep everything smooth. Smooth is steady and steady is fast (or however that saying goes ;)).
Sponsored