Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Overview

I just finished installing my large, Ingersoll Rand air compressor and Transair piping system this weekend (photos below).

Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System 45173075-4A59-4C1D-B857-1E4E7113E5F0
Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System E22C5034-4A2F-4DDA-8A0F-B2AB06D39DFB

Obviously, this system is overkill for a residential garage, but I like working with my hands, building things, doing auto repairs and maintenance, and some occasional wood and metal work, and Iā€™ve had this system in my old house for almost 15 years. When I moved to my new house, I simply dismantled it and planned to reassemble it in the new garage. This weekend, I finally finished the project.

Air Compressor

The air compressor is an Ingersoll-Rand, UPR Quiet Enclosed Series, Model UP6RM-5-175. Technical specs: 5 HP, 17 ACFM max, 175 PSIG, 565 lbs, two-stage cast iron compressor, 100% continuous duty cycle, 68 gallon vertical tank, with a Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled (TEFC) motor (IP54)ā€¦ basically an acoustic, compartmentalized sheet metal enclosure for sound suppression with vibration isolators to minimize vibration.

Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System A5879BC8-C60C-4F6E-BA83-81F98546BA2E

I mainly use it to run air tools (e.g., automotive, drilling, grinding, cutting), inflate tires, and spray off trail dust, sawdust, or metal shavings. I donā€™t spray paint in my garage, other than occasional rattle cans for repairs, mods, and clean-up, so I have no real need for a sophisticated moisture management system. However, it does have a solenoid-operated automatic purge valve at the bottom of the tank to purge condensation and prevent internal rust.

The main reason I bought the compressor was for the sound suppression (74 dBA). When the motor is running inside the garage, I donā€™t have to wear hearing protection, and I can actually talk to someone without yelling, which was well worth paying for the sound enclosure.

Transair Piping System

The Transair piping system is a really robust set-up with 1ā€ OD aluminum piping. It was originally branded as Garage Pak, but is targeted towards both DIY/Enthusiasts and Commercial Garages. Once the aluminum pipe is cut to length, using a normal pipe cutter tool for copper pipes and tubing, it is really easy to install by simply pushing the ends into special compression connectors on each end for a leak-free seal..

Now I have an air drop at the front of my vehicle with two safety couplers, and an air hose reel mounted to the ceiling at the center of my garage with a 3/8ā€ diameter x 25ā€™ long air hose that can reach all corners of the garage. This makes it easier to air up the tires on all vehicles in the garage without having to move anything around. Itā€™s also handy for just spraying off trail dust after Iā€™ve returned from a 4-wheeling trip or sawdust/metal shavings when Iā€™m working on projects in the garage.

After I finished the installation, I spent 20 minutes just spraying off all the trail dust inside my Bronco from my last 4-wheeling trip with @kodiakisland and @Ragtop1962 a few weeks ago. Since I was at the back of the trio, I was eating trail dust all day, and the inside of the vehicle was covered with a thick layer of clay-colored trail dust.

Installation Photos

Below are some pics of the installation as it progressed, in case youā€™re interestedā€¦

1) Connection to the compressor tank with a condensation trap and ball valves at both the tank and the pipingā€¦

Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System F7A1F008-EDDB-4205-A0CE-E388466F31B1

2) 5-gallon bucket to collect condensation from the automatic purge valve at the bottom of the tank. The valve is set to purge condensation that collects at the bottom of the tank for 2 seconds every 10 minutes. This is to keep moisture out of the system and minimize rust inside the tank, which could compromise its structural integrity.

Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System 9A987247-7476-4FFD-A5B6-183586FD3923

3) Close-up of the ball valve at the front of the piping system and the first vertical leg of the pipe, plus pipe clips that attach the pipe to the wall. This vertical pipe leg has an elbow connector which will connect to a horizontal pipe and run close to the ceiling to get it up and out of the way of work within the garage to minimize damage from tooling or moving/falling objects (e.g., ladders).ā€¦

Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System D9B6FAD7-2778-4675-B487-BB5334AAEFBB

4) First horizontal leg of pipe connected to the aforementioned elbow on the left and a T-connection on the right. Below the T is a vertical air drop to a wall bracket containing two safety couplers at the front of the Bronco. Coiled air hoses are typically attached to the safety couplers and used with a spray nozzle attachment or small air tools like an air ratchet for work in the engine bay...

Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System 9B09B54C-CCFF-46D8-A8B6-41598855CE24

5) Close-up of the air drop bracket with two safety couplers. To disconnect an air hose requires two sequential motions: 1 counter-clockwise ā¬… to de-pressure, and 2 clockwise āž” to disconnect. (You can see the directional arrows on each safety coupler.) This prevents the male fitting on the end of the air hose from blowing out uncontrollably when the pressure releases and striking you or whatever is in front of the connector. Itā€™s a nice safety feature which helps prevent unexpected damage to your vehicleā€™s grill, headlights, or hoodā€¦

Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System A9F48C37-8E29-4261-B6BC-2258C1CFC447

6) Second horizontal leg from the T connector on the left to a union connector (extending past the maximum 9ā€™ length of a single pipe) on the right, to an elbow connector that runs back across the ceiling to the center of the garage, where the air hose reel is mountedā€¦.

Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System D5433A59-B5B1-4321-A8D9-6A8540784F61

7) Air hose reel attached to the ceiling. This was one of the most difficult parts of the installation, simply because the hose reel is heavy, and it cannot be easily mounted directly to the sheetrock ceiling or to the joists in the attic, which run on 16ā€ centers. However, the hose reel must be able to sustain the lateral force of pulling the hose out against the countervailing force of the spring retractor inside the reel and the weight of the hose when fully extended (25ā€™)ā€¦

Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System 39118600-EBC0-4CC9-A195-779EFAF09986

8) Reinforcing bracket in the attic. Needless to say, the hose reel installation required reinforcement to prevent it from being pulled off the ceiling during normal use. So I fabricated a reinforcing bracket with steel channels, threaded rods, lock washers, and nuts to spread the lateral loads to the joists and reinforce the sheetrock underneath the mounting plate. Yeah, I knowā€¦ itā€™s a little overkill šŸ˜‚, but no one is going to pull this sucker down! I bet you could do pull-ups from this thing and still not make it budge...

Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System EA400962-411B-47E8-9472-2B670F00CD71

Bottom lineā€¦ I finally have my system back up and running again, and I am pleased with the end result. šŸ‘

Let me know if you have any questions, and Iā€™ll try to answer them.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice...Go big or go home!

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very nice. Planning to do something similar some day. I do know that the compressor won't be near that nice though šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thatā€™s pretty sweet. My harbor freight compressor is a bit jealous šŸ˜‚
Nice...Go big or go home!
Very nice. Planning to do something similar some day. I do know that the compressor won't be near that nice though šŸ˜‚
Thanks, guys. Iā€™ve had the air compressor for 18 years, and it has been a real workhorse. I donā€™t know if IR even makes this UPR Quiet Enclosed Series anymore, but the installed cost in 2004 was $2,913, which would probably be over $4,500 in todayā€™s dollars with 18 years of inflation.

Sponsored

kbBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2019 Honda Rebel 300
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Holy hell this is everything. I am of the same heart. If Iā€™m going to do it, Iā€™m going to DO IT RIGHT. Great install and very jealous

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice looking system, I wanted to do something similar in my old house but never got around to it. When I went waist deep into Milwaukee battery powered tools my 80 gallon compressor hardly got used anymore, the only things I was using air for was the DA sander and plasma cutter. When I moved across country I liquidated most of my fabrication tools.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks, guys. Iā€™ve had the air compressor for 18 years, and it has been a real workhorse. I donā€™t know if IR even makes this UPR Quiet Enclosed Series anymore, but the installed cost in 2004 was $2,913, which would probably be over $4,500 in todayā€™s dollars with 18 years of inflation.
We occasionally install similar IR compressors for commercial ATC systems...your looking at $4-5K just to purchase the compressor alone.

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nice set-up.

When does the air dryer get integrated? ;)

Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh, that's sexy! :love:

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice job, looks great. Definitely a little overkill, especially the backing for the hose reel, a couple flat 2x4 blocks between joists would have been enough.

Seeing how it looks like you have plenty of attic space, you could have run the air line straight up into the attic instead of along the wall and ceiling, and mounted the hose reel where it would be recessed into the ceiling. Not shitting on the way you did it. It looks much cleaner than the lazy job I would probably have done, it just seems like you could have had the hose reel and a lot of that air line hidden with about the same amount of labor.

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Holy hell this is everything. I am of the same heart. If Iā€™m going to do it, Iā€™m going to DO IT RIGHT. Great install and very jealous
Thanks!
Nice looking system, I wanted to do something similar in my old house but never got around to it. When I went waist deep into Milwaukee battery powered tools my 80 gallon compressor hardly got used anymore, the only things I was using air for was the DA sander and plasma cutter. When I moved across country I liquidated most of my fabrication tools.
It is a real quandary. If battery-powered tool systems were as advanced back in 2004 as they are today, I would have gone battery.

Truth be told, I donā€™t like dragging air hoses below my vehicle, so I also just purchased two Milwaukee M18 compact cordless impact wrenches (2855 and 2854, 1/2ā€ drive and 3/8ā€ drive).

Nevertheless, I already had the compressor and the air piping system, tried to sell them once before (unsuccessfully), and I did not want them to go unused, so Iā€™m now using both systems (compressed air and battery).
We occasionally install similar IR compressors for commercial ATC systems...your looking at $4-5K just to purchase the compressor alone.
Yeah, thatā€™s about what I expected. I actually did my own mechanical installation (excluding electrical), so that part was my own free labor.
Nice set-up.

When does the air dryer get integrated? ;)
I know, right? šŸ˜‚ Not anytime soon, but never soon enough. I have other priorities right now, just getting the garage better organized so I can find things quickly and maneuver around with limited floor space between unopened boxes. Fortunately, I donā€™t do any painting with this system, and it is lightly used since Iā€™m just an enthusiast and not making a living off my residential garage activities, so the air dryer is not as important as it would be to a commercial garage.
Nice! Not overkill at all. I especially like the condensation bucket.
Thank you, sir. That was something I set up myself. šŸ‘
Oh, that's sexy! :love:
Thanks. I think so, too. šŸ˜œ
Nice job, looks great. Definitely a little overkill, especially the backing for the hose reel, a couple flat 2x4 blocks between joists would have been enough.

Seeing how it looks like you have plenty of attic space, you could have run the air line straight up into the attic instead of along the wall and ceiling, and mounted the hose reel where it would be recessed into the ceiling. Not shitting on the way you did it. It looks much cleaner than the lazy job I would probably have done, it just seems like you could have had the hose reel and a lot of that air line hidden with about the same amount of labor.
No offense taken. Just a difference in personal preferences.

Iā€™m a mechanical engineer, not a construction guy, so I tend to over-design things. (ā€œOnce an inganeer, always an inganeer!ā€) Frankly, I hate working in attics, and it gets worse the older I get. Iā€™ve done it before, in both houses, and hated every minute of it. Nevertheless, I built the reinforcement bracket 18 years ago, so I just decided to re-use it in the new house. Plus, I know that it is sturdy, because I pull that hose with a lot of force when Iā€™m using it at the end of its length on the left side of my Bronco when airing up tires.

Personally, I hate pulling wires and running piping behind sheetrock, and I prefer to have the piping mounted along the ceiling and walls for ease of installation (garage vs. attic), visible inspection, and leak detection. Plus all the pipe clips are designed for external/visible installation.

Last edited:

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No offense taken. Just a difference in personal preferences.

Iā€™m a mechanical engineer, not a construction guy, so I tend to over-design things. (ā€œOnce an inganeer, always an inganeer!ā€) Frankly, I hate working in attics, and it gets worse the older I get. Iā€™ve done it before, in both houses, and hated every minute of it. Nevertheless, I built the reinforcement bracket 18 years ago, so I just decided to re-use it in the new house. Plus, I know that it is sturdy, because I pull that hose with a lot of force when Iā€™m using it at the end of its length on the left side of my Bronco when airing up tires.

Personally, I hate pulling wires and running piping behind sheetrock, and I prefer to have the piping mounted along the ceiling and walls for ease of installation (garage vs. attic), visible inspection, and leak detection. Plus all the pipe clips are designed for external/visible installation.
I donā€™t blame you, I hate working in attics too. Itā€™s hot up there.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thatā€™s bigger than what I had in my 10,000 sq foot machine shop. 5 bridgeports 12 lathes 2 cnc VMCs 1 cnc lathe. Hereā€™s the Haas VF5-50xt on the way out after selling everything.

I love it. Maybas well get the dryer at that point.

Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System 7B8D1058-4803-4CFF-AF29-E8152E6EE6EC
Sponsored